Sign in to follow this  

short run at jumps

Ive got an 05 450r and love the power, but it seems that I have to just haul ass to get any distance in jumps, but then I watch other guys and it seems that all they do is gas it just before the jump face and go just as far as me or even farther, whats the secret????? I need to know becouse Im willing to try some sx style tracks and I need this skill.

maybe you think you are going faster than you really are? they could be a gear higher and it sounds like they arent on it hard because they are carrying more speed.

1. Carry good corner speed

2. Seat Bounce.

Seat bouncing is an absolute necessity on a SX track. If you don't have both of these things, you have no business on a SX track.

Sorry for the tough love, but it's for your own good. :thumbsup:

2. Seat Bounce.

Seat bouncing is an absolute necessity on a SX track. If you don't have both of these things, you have no business on a SX track.

no offense taken, thanks for being frank. But I want to learn how, Im not a beginner, I do have good jump skills, but I havent spent any time on a sx track either. so I hope to start out small work up to the bigger doubles and rythim sections, triples are way out there yet....... :thumbsup:

no offense taken, thanks for being frank. But I want to learn how, Im not a beginner, I do have good jump skills, but I havent spent any time on a sx track either. so I hope to start out small work up to the bigger doubles and rythim sections, triples are way out there yet....... :thumbsup:

Are you comfortable seat bouncing yet? If not, I would work on that. It's not tough to get comfortable doing, you should get it in a few riding sessions.

Momentum and technique is everything. Seat bouncing is critical along with clutching it off the face, But this is Not for the Amatures, it takes lots of practice. When you clutch it off the face it gives you major boost and you can clear large doubles easily but body positioning is very critical.

Sit in the middle of the bike with you chin over that triple clamps. Relax, and give it gas all the way through. Make sure your squeezing the bike with your legs.

The feathering the clutch is good if you are on a smaller bike, not good if you are on a 450and you are just starting to learn this technique. Just gas it on the face.

it seems that I have to just haul ass to get any distance in jumps, but then I watch other guys and it seems that all they do is gas it just before the jump face and go just as far as me or even farther,

The difference is that the other guys are accelerating through the transition while you are either 1) leaving the ground at a steady speed or 2) you are in a higher gear accelerating at half-throttle or so. The harder the bike is accelerating, the more compressed the suspension will be as you leave the ground. This makes the bike jump farther because the suspension can't absorb the transition of the jump.

Work on accelerating much harder through the transition. Drop to a lower gear if you have to, accelerate all the way through the transition, and leave the ground at the high end of the RPM range. This is the key to keeping the nose up on a seat bounce, but it is scary at first and takes lots of practice to perfect. You'll feel like the bike is going to flip over backwards at first. You need to find the right body position, whether seated or standing, that keeps you balanced in the air. Practice on a safe mellow jump with no lip. When you get it down, you'll easily clear jumps in first gear that you used struggle with in second.

this has been some great info, thanks guys, I have left jumps sitting in the seat alot of times, sounds like I need to give more gas in the jump face?

How do you seat bounce on a mellow face jump? I can do it on steep jumps, just sit back and gas it and my bike automatically starts to drop the front end, but on mellow jumps it feels like I'm just going to loop out and the back brake trick will only bring the front down so far.

It's all a matter of body position and throttle control. It takes practice on lots of different types of jumps to learn just how hard to gas it in different situations. Landing in an endo means you need more throttle at take-off and/or to move back on the seat. Looping out means you need to ease off the throttle and/or move forward on the seat. A mellow jump with no lip won't punish you as bad when you screw up.

follow someone mate, i jump bigger jumps after i speed check someone a few times...

And take ol' mates tips on seat bouncing for tight jumps just out of berms and tight corners.

cheers

Ive got an 05 450r and love the power, but it seems that I have to just haul ass to get any distance in jumps, but then I watch other guys and it seems that all they do is gas it just before the jump face and go just as far as me or even farther, whats the secret????? I need to know becouse Im willing to try some sx style tracks and I need this skill.

I was thinking this very thing yesterday @ Racetown here in Ca. There is a double, double, and when I first went there it was freaking me out. I started clearing the one in the back of the track that comes right off a berm which made me stoked and got thinking I could pull the other ones.

Well- I began watching the other riders who seemed like they were putting no effort just a slight blip and cleared it. Got my courage up and went 'round and cleared the first one but did not recover my position for the second and just rolled over it but compressed on my arm a bit but other than that no worries.

Fear and doubt sucks- but feel good that I went at it.

I was doing what some of the other guys were saying which was to low a gear which left little punch off the lip. After speed checking the other riders I saw that they were actually carrying a decent bit of speed (seemed real slow from a distance) and then got how they were doing this.

I'm late to the thread. Can you describe what seat bounce means in more detail please? Is this pushing the suspension down (compressing) while hitting the lip of the jump while on the gas?

2. Seat Bounce.

seat bouncing and corner speed.

1.) first work on corner speed. Practice going faster by standing as long as possible before you sit. Watch some really fast guys and they will stand through the braking bumps and drive the bike to the apex of the corner and sit down turn and gas the bike while gripping the tank with thighs, weighting the outside peg, use inside leg for balance if needed, weight the suspension, keep elbows up, and roll the gas on and you fan the clutch out. All in one motion as you look ahead at the ruts and the jump face.

2.) Drive into the jump face with the gas on and continue to keep elbows up pushing the bars into the face of the jump as you start to stand and pull back on the bars. Then as you give it a squirt of gas the front end will lift as to come off the jump face. Squeeze the bike with you boots and hold on tight as you apex the jump push down on the bars and maybe tap the brake, but have the clutch in so you didn't stall. Nothing worse then stalling in the air of a 60 ft. triple 20 ft up in the air. when the bike lands it will restart, but the compression of a four stroke will be like landing with the brakes on. Very bad. So sight you landing and push down on the bars and try to land on your front wheel as you come down on the landing ramp.

Now that you've read this you are ready to attempt your first high speed short take off seat bounce triple or double jump. I usually suggest going out on your bike and do some laps to get the jitters out. After you are warmed up then get your corner speed up. Then practice your jumping (specifically the one you want to seat bounce). Then try it. I would try it on something small with a forgiving landing. At one of my local tracks we have a 60ft jump that is a mix between a triple, double, table, step on step off. Perfect for practicing this technique.

My son went form double to step on step off to triple to clearing the whole thing in one day. When we first got to the track I went out and cleared the whole thing on my first lap and my son 15 yrs old was awe struck, I told him to do it. He said no way, then we started messing around and he picked it right up. At a different track there was a 75ft triple that could be doubled. My son doubled it the first time and the tripled it the second time. This was a slow supercross style jump. Very technical. but he had learned the art of seat bounce and it was "easy".

Thanks for the tips, but what you describe is a little different than what I thought "seat-bouncing" was. :thumbsup: I think I understand better now, but there's still a bit wee bit of confusion here. I guess some practice will be needed.

So is seat-bouncing to get more "spring" from the bike to it lifts better off a jump? For example, if you didn't seat-bounce, would you still be able to do the jumps you described?

thanks!

seat bouncing and corner speed.

1.) first work on corner speed. Practice going faster by standing as long as possible before you sit. Watch some really fast guys and they will stand through the braking bumps and drive the bike to the apex of the corner and sit down turn and gas the bike while gripping the tank with thighs, weighting the outside peg, use inside leg for balance if needed, weight the suspension, keep elbows up, and roll the gas on and you fan the clutch out. All in one motion as you look ahead at the ruts and the jump face.

2.) Drive into the jump face with the gas on and continue to keep elbows up pushing the bars into the face of the jump as you start to stand and pull back on the bars. Then as you give it a squirt of gas the front end will lift as to come off the jump face. Squeeze the bike with you boots and hold on tight as you apex the jump push down on the bars and maybe tap the brake, but have the clutch in so you didn't stall. Nothing worse then stalling in the air of a 60 ft. triple 20 ft up in the air. when the bike lands it will restart, but the compression of a four stroke will be like landing with the brakes on. Very bad. So sight you landing and push down on the bars and try to land on your front wheel as you come down on the landing ramp.

Now that you've read this you are ready to attempt your first high speed short take off seat bounce triple or double jump. I usually suggest going out on your bike and do some laps to get the jitters out. After you are warmed up then get your corner speed up. Then practice your jumping (specifically the one you want to seat bounce). Then try it. I would try it on something small with a forgiving landing. At one of my local tracks we have a 60ft jump that is a mix between a triple, double, table, step on step off. Perfect for practicing this technique.

My son went form double to step on step off to triple to clearing the whole thing in one day. When we first got to the track I went out and cleared the whole thing on my first lap and my son 15 yrs old was awe struck, I told him to do it. He said no way, then we started messing around and he picked it right up. At a different track there was a 75ft triple that could be doubled. My son doubled it the first time and the tripled it the second time. This was a slow supercross style jump. Very technical. but he had learned the art of seat bounce and it was "easy".

I was thinking this very thing yesterday @ Racetown here in Ca. There is a double, double, and when I first went there it was freaking me out. I started clearing the one in the back of the track that comes right off a berm which made me stoked and got thinking I could pull the other ones.

Well- I began watching the other riders who seemed like they were putting no effort just a slight blip and cleared it. Got my courage up and went 'round and cleared the first one but did not recover my position for the second and just rolled over it but compressed on my arm a bit but other than that no worries.

Fear and doubt sucks- but feel good that I went at it.

I was doing what some of the other guys were saying which was to low a gear which left little punch off the lip. After speed checking the other riders I saw that they were actually carrying a decent bit of speed (seemed real slow from a distance) and then got how they were doing this.

I rode that same track! :thumbsup: