06 450 pipe

wheww...comparing not "needing" a dirt bike to not "needing" a highdollar replacement pipe is quite the apples to oranges comparison! Whatever it takes to justify the purchase I guess.

I'll hand it to the folks making $500-$800 replacement pipes, they've done a bang up job with the marketing. Why else would so many riders on 50hp bikes feel that a stock pipe is somehow holding them back.

In the last couple years there have been 2 closed course tracks that were shut down in our area due to complaints of noise. Both went to court, both tracks are now gone.

Sorry, I dont mean to be argumentative...I've just got a big issue with loud expensive replacement pipes on big 4 strokes. There are to many riders buying pipes that are louder than stock (which are already to loud), who then go out an do their best to pizz of the neighbors with the noise.

What were those tracks? Just curious, as I am in Ohio, as well.

My view point is this. Pipes can increase hp. Sure, you may not need the full potential of your machine, but pipes can also help in the mid-range or other areas that ARE useful/usable. For Supermoto, a pipe can give the HP needed on the top end and help with the mid-range which is used in the corners at roll-on, etc. Pipes aren't for just those who have too much money...

Also, as far as tracks are concerned in Ohio, at least, the major issue is more along the lines of new housing being developed around or near tracks. Sure, you can argue that the owners should have checked the area before building, but land is at a premium and it just doesn't happen. So, you get a housing developement going to the local court or county court and petitioning to shut the track down. There are PLENTY of tracks in Ohio to ride. I think we're like 3rd or 4th in the country with the number of tracks compared to number of MX bikes sold. Killer deal on our part. You may have to drive, but hey, it only takes 3 hours to cross the state....

Don't bash guys for buying pipes. I am buying one for mine to do a few things:

-Get more hp and more usable hp in the mid-range for what I do.

-Saves the stocker from getting destroyed - ever priced a stock exhaust? The comment about these companies making killer money is funny - what is the thought about OEMs and their prices?

-Tuning. I can tune the bike more finely than with the stocker.

-Stainless - I'm considering stainless for the fact that Ti is thin and dents easily and warps under severe heat.

I don't have money to burn, but suspension and usable/smooth power is what I strive for. So, the forks go out, I get a Boysen quick shot, Fuel screw, buy an exhaust, get decent tires, a set of better handlebars, and head to the dyno to tune the shit out of it....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each their own, however we need to keep in mind that it's a fact that tracks are getting closed because of noise. You can hear a 4 stroke from a lot farther away than you can a 2 stroke. I understand the need for a sparky and the fact that there are a number of aftermarket pipes that are quieter than the stocker but still give a better power spread. I think the pipes in question here are the ones that are over 100 db. Just because you only ride on a "closed course track" (aka MX track) doesn't mean that a loud pipe won't change the meaning of "closed" for your track shortly.

The first time I crashed my bike, the titanium head pipe was severely bent. A bent head pipe will create more heat which can ruin the engine. Luckily I was at the WORCs race and I got hooked up with FMF. I was meaning to just replace the header, but for $300 I got a brand new anodized blue FMF titanium with an optional spark arrestor and a titanium head pipe. He is going to hook me up with a stainless steel header next month. But with the spark arrestor in, the sound is at 96, without 101.

To each their own, however we need to keep in mind that it's a fact that tracks are getting closed because of noise. You can hear a 4 stroke from a lot farther away than you can a 2 stroke. I understand the need for a sparky and the fact that there are a number of aftermarket pipes that are quieter than the stocker but still give a better power spread. I think the pipes in question here are the ones that are over 100 db. Just because you only ride on a "closed course track" (aka MX track) doesn't mean that a loud pipe won't change the meaning of "closed" for your track shortly.

Man I regret posting this, 1/4 of it is a beating for loudness the 1/4 is a beating for the cost the other half is constructive,I will explain.

almost every aftermarket pipe has provisions for quiet core inserts and or a spark arrestor for a small amount of money which will ultimately if used properly help the sound issues some of you are referring to.

Instead of swatting flys off peoples foreheads with hammers suggest the products that have spark arrestor and quiet core inserts, that would be more constructive.

The facts are that every riding area is different, where I ride most is at I-5MX which is out in the middle of nowhere surrownded by 1000s of acres setaside for OHV use.

The other is LACR MX LACR which has a drag strip next to it which makes a hell of alot more noise than any dirt bikes.

next is Piru MX which is operating under a conditional use permit in Ventura county with Limited hours for noise abatement.

Next is a track Called Baggeland it is owned by a local pro named Josh Bagge again this track is in the middle of nowhere.

The last track within an hour is At the AV fair grounds av Fairgrounds

No sound issues.

I can tell you imho 4 strokes are pretty obnoxious sounding. If you ever listen to a 4 stroke go by full tilt and then a 2 stroke you see what i mean. the stock pipe may be pretty loud but it has to pass epa sound requirements, so it should be legal most places. if you need a spark arrestor and dont need to alter powerr get a pmb endcap, cheap and effective(also has quiet insert). if you're a full blown racer i would say run stock til you actually race, then you wont be obnoxious during every day use and will have a little more hp during competition.

aford are you local in the av? i think the link for the av track isAV Motoplex

?

Ya, whats wrong with the stock pipe? ? There is no one on here that needs more power and etc... Stay stock save your $$$ and practice to get better the pipe wont make a differance in your speed. ? This is just my opinion though.

Sometimes putting a pipe on a bike is like putting "dubs" on your ride. The old wheels worked and went as fast as you could drive.....but the dubs are BLING! :bonk:

No one here needs a dirt bike!
?

I put a PC496 on mine and I love it, throttle response isn't quite a sharp(but still excellent) and I think it might rev a tad slower, but it just hooks up better if anything. Where I ride sound hasn't been made an issue yet, but it's only a matter of time. Houses are getting closer all the time.

If I didn't have to worry about noise I might have to try Jardine. The mag tests I've seen in the past claim it turns the big Yamaha into a "dragster", though it did get slammed for being very loud. Besides, I'm a road race fan, and they sure looked cool on Nicky Haydens old RC51. ?

Instead of swatting flys off peoples foreheads with hammers suggest the products that have spark arrestor and quiet core inserts, that would be more constructive.

The facts are that every riding area is different, where I ride most is at I-5MX which is out in the middle of nowhere surrownded by 1000s of acres setaside for OHV use.

Sure, if every rider was riding their loud bike in the middle of nowhere we wouldnt have an issue with tracks closing and getting a bad rap from joe public. Unfortunately, there are scores of riders on obnoxiously loud 4 strokes who are doing everything from zooming down neighborhood streets to riding on private tracks that have neighbors who have to put up with hours of unnecessary noise. It's hard to believe that not all riders understand that their putting the sport and their right to ride at risk by not caring how loud a bike is. A perfect example..Look at Riverside Ca, an entire area that is looking at laying down some serious laws that will keep people from riding on their own land! Once, the public and lawmakers see a precedent set we will see these kind of laws spread further throughout the country.

Personally, I could have just as much fun riding a bike that puts out 90 db as one that might have another hp or two and spits out an obnoxious 100 dbs that is also turning the publics opinion sour on off road bikes. Regulate ourselves, else we will find ourselves confronted with laws that will severely effect when and where we ride...it's not that hard to understand.

almost every aftermarket pipe has provisions for quiet core inserts and or a spark arrestor for a small amount of money which will ultimately if used properly help the sound issues some of you are referring to.

The rub here is...Again, there are way too many folks who go out and buy an obnoxiously loud, high dollar pipe to add another hp to a bike already having over 50 hp. Would you care to guess how many of these people will actually spend any more money on another item to make the bike quieter? Based on my own real world experience, there are too many riders who just dont care enough about the noise issue to buy another add on like this. I have a track on my property and thus far my neighbors have been nice about the situation. In past years I've ridden a 2 stroke and when friends have come over to ride with 450s with loud pipes I've asked them if they could please put their stock pipe on next time they come over. This situation usually results in that person deciding it's not worth the hassle to to make their bike quieter and they will ride elsewhere. This kind of mindset is way to prevelant yet at this point.

As anyone who has harped on this subject in the past has already stated many, many times...the simple answer is to have the AMA impose reasonable sound limits that force the manufacturers to build pipes that are not putting out ear splitting sound levels. It's hard to understand how the AMA cannot have the foresight to see what steps need to be taken to ensure we arent confronted with having more and more of riding rights taken from us. Until they wake up, I'm going to do my part to make sure I'm not part of the problem by buying loud bling pipes that give my bike 51 horsepower instead of 50.

The other reason I wanted an aftermarket pipe is because I have an invention that I want to try and fabricate that replaces the stock end cap with a baffle to reduce the noise. I will probably destroy the stock one making it I think there is a need for a product like that that a guy could drill the rivets out of the stock end cap, cut the stock baffle screen down and go at 96DB. Im pretty pumped about it I think it will work very well because it is proven technology with less restriction to flow than most other silencers.

btw on the noise thing....that is why I probably will sit out the years Dallas SX....last year I had the headache from hell after sitting there all day.

1.00 for earplugs dude, come on!

I always use earplugs at SX... ill be at HOU and Big D this year

I got a DR. D. It is quieter than stock, it has a SA. For you loud pipes shut down riding area preachers, you should check your stock pipe for sound. Not exactly quiet now is it. My DR.D is quieter and legal to ride public lands. No, I cant use any more power, I can barely handle what I've got. I think its assinine to assume just because I bought an aftermarket pipe I got a louder one. Did you ever think that alot of us buy aftermarket to make our bikes more 'friendly'. Practice what you preach, buy a quiet pipe and then come out preaching. ?

I'd imagine your referring to me in regards to the "preaching".

I'd like to clarify that I never indicated a stock pipe is quiet, not sure where you got the impression I did. My issue is with pipes being on the market that are even LOUDER than the already loud stocker. As mentioned in my very first post I'd like to buy a quiter pipe, if not that, at least an add on tip for the stocker. Again, if the AMA imposed better sound regulations we wouldnt even be having this discussion. I guess they're just too busy looking for trace amounts of lead in gas and screwing up the sx points chase to worry about sound regulations.

Good job on buying a quiet pipe, I have a DrD on a stock 110 and the pipe is super quiet while simultaneously putting out a good power increase over the stocker.

Good job on buying a quiet pipe, I have a DrD on a stock 110 and the pipe is super quiet while simultaneously putting out a good power increase over the stocker.

Dubach puts out a great exhaust! There is a carbon fiber version in the works too..for the blingers

?

Keep on preaching!

I can't tell you how many times I have been in "the middle of nowhere" and ran across a hiker/horse backer/moutain biker/tree huggin freak/tree huggin freak with a BIG gun! Very few of them are impressed by loud pipes! Ironically they actually take offense to em at times. Oh yeah they also like to habitate in areas in the "middle of nowhere" maybe even near your favorite track and they usually have plenty of time on there hands to waste at the lawyers office.

I just looked at this post to see if there was any stainless header/Q-series posts! That Ti header aint gonna take the beating long and I could sure use a Q.