Dual-Sport riding jacket?

In the last 12 years or so I have gone from riding a standard to a cruiser, to a sport bike, to a sport-tourer, to dual-sports now. I have had a First Gear Stealth Pilot leather jacket through all of this and it's finally getting worn out a bit. I want to get a new jacket, textile preferably. It has to have armor/padding in the shoulders, elbows and maybe the back. Pockets and venting would be nice.

Something to wear on the street and also on the trails. Any recommendations?

I have both the First Gear Kilimanjaro and ..... crap can't remember the name of the other First Gear jacket I have. Also a DS jacket in KTM colors.

Both jackets work well, Kilimanjaro is has a waterproof outer and the other jacket is only waterproof with the liner in. These are good for on the street and mild offroading. Any jacket will get hot if you are riding aggressively offroad, unless it's very cold out.

I've got the Kilimanjaro and the HT pants. Got 'em both at http://newenough.com/ and couldn't be happier. Took the bike out the other day for about 100 miles in 28 degrees, nice and toasty. Only my feet got cold, right through the boot laces. I also have a ICON Merc jacket which turned out to be more of a street jacket than I originally thought. It'll be a good summer jacket. I wouldn't want to "really" off-road in either jacket. Maybe a Moose Expedition in my future to round out the collection...

Run quick to the news stand and buy the latest issue of Rider. There is an extensive comparo test of a bunch of on-road riding jackets. Very informative.

I think you really need two jackets - one for 3 season use and one for strictly summer. Winter riding is a whole 'nother category.

The Joe Rocket Phoenix is a pretty good pure summer jacket. It is a road jacket, but works great for dual sport. It's very high quality for the money, and some great online deals pop up now and then. If you want to look more "off-road" get a decent competition enduro jacket. They are more flappy on the highway - so if you travel at 80 mph they are't so great. I use an Acerbis nylon enduro jacket as well as my Phoenix, depending on how far off-pavement I will be going.

The choice for a 3 season jacket comes down to weather-proofness. If you need to ride in wet weather then Gore Tex or equivalent fabric is a good choice. Steer away from a jacket that requires you to disrobe to get on the inner rain layer (like the Phoenix). You end up with a soaked outer jacket when the rain quits.

Any light jacket works great with an electric vest or liner as backup.

I second the suggestion to check Adventure Rider - it's a great resource.

John Davies

Spokane WA

My old street jacket has turned out to be a pretty good dual sport jacket. Works great on for night rides in the Dunes too. It's an older version of the Vanson Falcon. Pockets are limited and there isn't much room undernieth for layering, but it vents very well (not as good as fully perforation leather) but zips up tight for colder rides. Mine doesn't have the zip-vent in the inner elbows which would be a nice improvement on mine.

I've been using it on and off for years and it's held up very well. Vanson is quality stuff.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/3fa_nfalcon.htm

No, I'm not posing--I was kneeling to take a picture...

kitchen0066tz.jpg

This is the best all around jacket I have found. it works geat in all situations. armor, hydration pocket, lots of storage, and a removable liner. It really is an awsome jacket.

http://www.roosterperformance.com/RP-product_RP-ExtremeJacket.htm

I second this. Outstanding jacket at a great price. Works great for snowmobiling too! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had any experience with the A.R.C. brand of back country riding gear? There is an ad for it in this month's issue of Dirt Rider. I have a Thor Phase jacket and MX pants but am looking for something more weather proof. The Phase is a great coat but when it starts to rain I have to add a rain coat over the top.

I just got a Firstgear Kilimanjaro AIR jacket and rode form Phoenix, AZ to Kennewick, WA. It is a mesh jacket with a waterproof breathable zip in inner jacket.

In Phoenix at 80 degrees the outer jacket was cool enough on the street. It may be too hot for 90 degree slow trail riding.

In northern Nevada with the inner liner plus all my ski clothing underneath it was warm enough, but its not really made for cold weather.

Luckily I didn't get to test it in a long downpour.

It has armor and lots of pockets. The integral belt was too high to keep out drafts at speed, I had to put a tie down around my waist.

I have the ARC jacket and pants. Haven't been in rain with it yet but it sure works well in the cool weather. Put a sweatshirt on under it and it will be real warm. I bought the pants large enough so I can wear them over my jeans. Seems to work well.

This is the best all around jacket I have found. it works geat in all situations. armor, hydration pocket, lots of storage, and a removable liner. It really is an awsome jacket.

http://www.roosterperformance.com/RP-product_RP-ExtremeJacket.htm

That is a fine looking jacket for a good price. Too bad I didn't see it earlier. I purchased a BMW Savanna II on closeout. The list for the jacket is $475 but Iron Horse BMW in Arizona had them for $285. It is a kick ass jacket; lots of ventilation and very good protection. The only drawback is that it does not come with a water proof liner for extra $$$.

Techie.

I have a Joe Rocket Meteor 5. Good protection, removable liner.

It's a waist length jacket, I wish it had another inch in length. In retrospect, the Ballistic 6 may have been a better choice for me as it is 3/4 length and has better cargo/storage pockets.

The Meteor 5 is more form-fitting but I wear the shirt underneath it tucked in to cover any plumber's butt. I think the Ballistic offers better environmental protection.

For 3 season use, I have the Aerostich Darien jacket. Has armor panels and wears very well. You also get to pick your color. As for summer months, a wifebeater tee shirt is the way to go. Not much protection, but much cooler.

I've been really happy with the RevIt Cayenne. It's convertible, has armor, hydration options, pockets galore, conservative styling, and it's about 2/3 of the price of the BMW and Aerostich lines. Want an extra zipper, vent, reflective tab, or pocket? Send it to Rainy Pass Repair for an affordable mod.

For me, the most important thing about an all-weather jacket is its ability to convert for the conditions. This is done by venting and/or removing panels or sections in order to maintain that decent operating temperature known in the trade as being "comfortably cool." One can always add more layers to add warmth, but one can only remove so many to cool off (especially when your layers are your protection). The Cayenne walks this line well.

I've been really happy with the RevIt Cayenne. It's convertible, has armor, hydration options, pockets galore, conservative styling, and it's about 2/3 of the price of the BMW and Aerostich lines. Want an extra zipper, vent, reflective tab, or pocket? Send it to Rainy Pass Repair for an affordable mod.

For me, the most important thing about an all-weather jacket is its ability to convert for the conditions. This is done by venting and/or removing panels or sections in order to maintain that decent operating temperature known in the trade as being "comfortably cool." One can always add more layers to add warmth, but one can only remove so many to cool off (especially when your layers are your protection). The Cayenne walks this line well.

I was going to ask where you bought it, but it seems overpriced at $500.