I am lookin to buy a bike!! i need of some help

HI all!

K so here's the deal.

I'm 6'6 300lbs, live in Colorado next to the rockies. Been wanting a off road bike for some time now. Have been riding in Sweden before but it has been a while.

I'm looking for a STREET legal off road bike, but i don't know what to buy.?

I was looking at a Suzuki Drz 400 s, but I'm not sure that's what i want.

So if u guys have some bike ud like to suggest id be more than happy too look into em. Id like to stay under 4k in price but if its that special one i guess i could go higher.

Doubt i will be doing much jumping over 3-4 feet,

I do love H.P, but not sure what u can get with the street legal ones.

Guess i do care about insurance since I'm in college, and with more hp more insurance i guess... damn heh

That's what I'm gonna start out with

thanks

For a factory dual sport, I would also recommend a Honda 650L. It's a big bike, but you're a big guy. If you were willing to buy new, all the Husqvarna enduros are street legal from the factory and the 510 would be great for you.

If you want to make a dual sport bike (if its legal in your state) perhaps a Honda 650r or KTM 525, or really any of the 450's if you are looking for a big hp bike would suit you just fine. I know, thats quite vague, but they really all work well.

By the way, motorcycle insurance (well at least mine) doesn't go by hp, but rather cc's. Even the 650's are cheap.

You may not be looking for the best and newest if you are in college, but right now the uncontested best barely street legal dirt bike out there is the 2006 Husqvarna TE510. Rated at 56 horsepower from the factory.

Only the 2006 model year comes street legal from the factory, and after tax and title you are looking at about $7400 out the door for that if you shop around. This is more than you would spend on something like a DRZ out the door, but it comes with such high quality hardware (Brembo brakes, Excel wheels, hydraulic clutch, great suspension, etc.) that it is a real bargain when you look at the amount of dollars it takes to customize another brand to this kind of performance level.

The downside on this one is that it is not geared well for highway cruising, so its not a great choice if that is a priority. Dealer showrooms are also a little scarce, but parts are easy to come by online.

My vote would be an XR650R with a dual-sport kit.

This is a true off-road bike. It is water cooled rather than air-cooled.

Colorado is more relaxed about dual-sport bikes.

The XR650L is a good bike, but much more street oriented.

Insurance should be low on both of these bikes compared to a superbike style bike.

Didn't want to start a new tread. I too am looking at new dual sport bikes. I'm 5'10 (didn't think they could stack crap that high did you) around 200 pounds and live in NC.

I'm looking at.......

xr650l- The xr650r with dual sport kit sounds better. Dont like the air cooled on the L

drz400s-have not looked at this one yet

klr650- looks like a tank but I could probaby take my chunky girl on rides I bet.

All Bikes list at $4999 cept for the xr650r havn't priced that one yet.

advise please. husky and ktm's are not sold around here and too much $$ for me. Btw im 35 and have had 3 dirt bikes and a kutnany (katana) 750. NO newb here just not up to date on the new dual's

Thanks for any advise ?

-tony

Been lookin around a little now, had some bad times with honda's back in the days,, hehe but who knows maybe time to go give it another try.

I'm swedish and ive been to the Husky factory (when i was 8 but still counts), and college smollege im on a full ride so i got money to spend, i guess. Everyone just hates me for even thinkin about gettin a bike though. All american in shot put (whats payin for my college atm), and coaches and fellow team mates think im nuts to risk track for some stupid bike (bike's r not stupid!, offroading is awesome!!!!!!)

So im just kind a pissed at everyone for tellin me not to do it, i love riding bike's top three on my fun list easy. And guys life is about havein fun right? i think so but maybe im wrong. maybe i can lose some weight and be like 290 or something haha like it would matter. anyways i'm gonna keep workin on this and see if i can come over one that i like.

So im gonna keep thinking about this whole deal , but one thing is for sure

I AM GETTING A BIKE ??

klr650- looks like a tank but I could probaby take my chunky girl on rides I bet.

Thanks for any advise ?

-tony

I have to respect your honesty, and certain points of style. I gotta nice Husqvarna, but I would have a hard time taking my Husqy wife for a ride on it!

Although she did buy me a sand paddle tire for Valentines day, drives a 4X4 Jeep, and keeps up mostly ok on her 400EX; so I suppose I really should cut her some slack.

If only they stayed 21 forever, eh?