2 DRZs: Overkill or genius?

had an epiphany yesterday. I was riding my KX250 around and managed to bugger the axle adjuster bolt on the sprocket side, so I pulled out my KLX400SR. Getting on that bike I immediately felt more confident than I was on my KX. The grin factor of my KLX never fails to get me. I like the 2 stroke, but I really love the way the KLX motor and suspension works. It is a pretty good compromise as a dual sport, but that also is my only qualm with the bike. It is a jack of all trades, but the tradeoffs make themselves apparent when running highway or a nice set of twisties on aggro knobs, or weaving through tight trees with 4 gallons of gas and tall gears.

I had the brillant (or not so brilliant) idea to sell my 2 strokes and get a DRZ-E for dirt riding and make my KLX more road oriented.

Here is how my KLX is set up right now:

non-DOT knob up front, 606 rear tire

15/47 gearing

4 gallon tank

Skeeter rack

Moose tapered bars

Moose barkbusters

Tonnes skidplate

TT case guards

Dynojet jet kit

Dial-a-jet

UFO rear fender assembly

Generic ATV panniers

Stock seat

If I did go with another, pure dirt DRZ, here is how the KLX would be outfitted:

Scorpion or similar DP tires

15/44 gearing

4 gallon tank

Skeeter rack

Moose tapered bars

Moose barkbusters

Tonnes skidplate

TT case guards

Dynojet jet kit

Dial-a-jet

Generic ATV panniers

Mayer seat

Stock Exhaust

and here is how the DRZ-E would be set up:

Michelin S12/M12 tires

13 or 14/47 gearing

Stock tank

Moose tapered bars

Moose barkbusters

Tonnes skidplate

TT case guards

Stock seat

Stock exhaust

Thoughts? I'd like to know if I'm crazy or a genius.

Or just get a second set of wheels and do some more performance mods to your existing bike.

I already nixed that idea. Too many differences to make the change from dirt/street form reasonably easy, including gearing, rack removal, seat swap, suspension settings, etc.

Hate to be the guy who says this but...

If you are going to be getting an offroad-only bike..at least consider your options. I LOVE my drz but that is for dual sporting..if i was picking an offroad only bike im not sure i'd have made the same choice. Not saying do it, but at least look around before just going out and buying.

Husky makes an amazing bike but i have no idea about parts or reliability.

Yammie makes the WR which is supposed to be a bit more offroad capable than a drz (second, third hand word of mouth? no idea myself)

honda makes the crf-x but ive heard nothing but bad things about the tons of maintenance needed to keep the thing running.

Not sure if kawi makes anything to consider klx300r maybe?

If you wanna pay the big bucks..ktm makes a couple nice offroad bikes...

the 400exc-g is 6-speed and uses the fcr39 like the E. has e-start and all that jazz ?

Just saying, keep options open! Like i said i love my drz and wont give it up untill it drops dead under me so dont take this as an anti-drz post! ?

If you get another DRZ for off road get a kicker. I found a dealership that still has new 03 kickers for $3900. I was racing a KX 250 off road when I bought my S and was surprised when I would ride both bikes on the same loop I was faster on the S, but in a 70 miles harescramble I would get beat up by the heavy bike. I got rid of the S and bought a kicker and I truly believe that I couldnt go faster in the woods on any other bike.

I think crazy I like the idea of having 2 bikes but I'd rather have one DRZ and another bike for my second one incase the DRZ breaks. I bought Burneds CR500 for my second bike or it may become my main bike it depends on how I like it. For a while I just had the DRZ and a ATV well I had the 100 but it doesn't count for a second bike.

Pure frickin' genius. I love my E for the dirt and SM for pavement. If you could get a cheap kicker new, that would be tempting, but I ride some nasty terrain and couldn't do without my magic button.

*edit: I could do without it, but I'd sure miss it a lot.

New '03 kickers for $3,900? Holy crap! I'll take two ?

The beauty of an S is that you can feel like you are getting away with something while riding on the street, and yet be legal (enough anyway even after mods) in all 50 states. It is almost like having 2 bikes ?

Case in point, there is this squid pit area about 1/4 mile away from my house. I rode my S right past a cop on the way there. It was funny. I felt a bit nervous, then I realized why should I be? I am on street legal (enough anyway) insured bike that happens to wear full knobbies.

A few pics from my squid pit ride. Gotta love just going the road a tiny piece and screwing around in a field :bonk:

Squid1.jpg

Squid2.jpg

just got my sm project going recently,but i like having two. one for street & one for dirt.

i didn't plan on it. but when i found a plated e model, missing some parts for $1500 i jumped on it.

somehow or another starting with a cheap bike dedicated to one purpose made it easier for me to shell out mad cash for sm wheels.

this way, after an afternoon of dirt riding, i can hop on the sm for a spin without the hassle of swapping set-ups. after all, i spend enough time on maintanance.

one more plus for me was that i got an extra set of dirt wheels with d756 knobbies in great shape. my other dirt wheels are getting beat quick.

and these bikes are pretty cheap to insure.

it might be that i just dig the drz though.