Sign in to follow this  

Which bike would be good for me?

Hey ya'll. I used to be a member here a couple years ago, but forgot my user name/password, so I had to make a new one. I've been riding ATV's for the past 7 years, and I want to get back into dirtbikes. I've got plenty of experience with them...but havent owned one since I was 11 (Im almost 19 now).

Im 6'5" 275lbs if that helps. I am looking for a fast bike for trail riding and mabey some harescrambles in a few years. Im sick of bringing up the rear when I go riding with friends.

I was thinking about the YZ426's, but was told they need constant maintenance and are worse than a 2-stroke. I am leaning heavily towards a XR650R or XR600 and the WR450's. Would these bike's be good for me? I really like HP and torque.

As you can tell...I like Honda's and Yamaha's (KTM's too...but they are too expensive and the nearest dealer is over an hour away). I'd like to stay away from the other brands for now.

I want something in the $3500-$4K range...so that means used bikes a year or two old. Im selling the fourwheeler to a friend for $3600...so somewhere around there.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

I was thinking about the YZ426's, but was told they need constant maintenance and are worse than a 2-stroke

What piece of machinery doesn't need maintenance? I've had my 426 since '02 and have never had any problems with it. It is even equiped with the big bore kit.

The yamaha four strokes are some of the most relaible bikes out there. Whatever you get, you'll need taller bars and re-sprung/valved suspension.

The XR650 is pretty much only for desert. I think a YZ426 would be a great choice.

The XR's are too heavy. If you want something like that I'd look for a DRZ400E. If not and just for dirt not desert riding I'd look for a RM or YZ250 or maybe a 450f but I prefer the 2-strokes. The only thing is I'm not sure if those would be too much bike for you if your getting back into riding. A 250f might be better.

DRZ 400. Makes the XR's seem like an old AHRMA bike. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I will be checking on the 426 and WR450 more closely now. A 2-stroke is out of the question for now...I never really liked them for trail riding.

Any more comments are welcome...