Just bought a new DR 650

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I just bought a 2006 DR 650 this afternoon. I made my decision based on a lot of information available here. I'm looking forward to tweaking the bike to fit my needs. I'll do a search on what to do first before I ask any stupid questions that have been answered 1000 times already.

Paul

welcome to the pack :thumbsup:

Yes welcome to the club and good luck with the new ride :thumbsup: ...now its time to start spending some $$$ on mods!

Room-a-Zoom :thumbsup:

Dyno Jet

14 Tooth CS

Helmet

Gas/fresh oil change

Sooner or later lose the 'Deathwing' Tires (burn the nipples off 1st)

Let's Ride that sucker ! :thumbsup:

I'm curious to hear about your bike. Did you have it lowered? Stock seat?

Did you get any kind of deal on it? I'm in Arizona and I don't know yet what kind of deal I can get out here. We're sort of in the same region.

congrats on the NEW DR , I Don't have one anymore but I have done just about everything performance Wise to the DR, always glad to help.

Just got a new DR650 myself about a month ago. Only have about 700 miles on it so far. Like the bike more every day. I'm going to set it up for adventure touring. Just ordered a Corbin seat & a large fuel tank. I think the DR650 is a well made bike. Have fun with your DR.

Pete

Thanks for the welcome everybody. I haven't had much chance to ride yet (only about 40 miles so far), I'll post some initial observations soon. I've spent the last year riding a Honda ST300, so there is quite a difference, but I'm having fun so far. I'm looking forward to attempting some of the more common/basic mods. I'm not the most mechanical person, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Paul

Did you get any kind of deal on it? I'm in Arizona and I don't know yet what kind of deal I can get out here. We're sort of in the same region.

Most dealers in Vegas are crazy. I was making casual inquiries at the dealerships locally and it seemed everybody would quote me MSRP + $400 freight + $400 setup + $300 doc fee + tax. Whatever! I got a quote from LA Cycle Sports (www.otdcyclesports.com) for $5299, took it to a local dealer to see if they would match it. I had already decided that I was willing to pay MSRP + tax, that's it (approx. $5500 total otd in Nevada). That's the deal I ended up getting. The sales paperwork shows the sales price of the bike as $4000 + $1100 in fees + tax. I think it was a reasonable deal. I know others are doing better in other parts of the country, but I believe these bikes are a little more popular in the southwest than many parts of the country... Just my .02

Paul

Dang 55 Hun for a new-new one :thumbsup:

I got mine on e-bay (what a plug uhh?)

Waz a 2005 with 1200 (street miles) and winning bid of 3700 Green Backs.

I did the TT searches before hand and saw it was called

:bonk: Jeep on 2 wheels :bonk:

Kawi = Street

Honder = Dirt

Yammer = Great MX 'ers but dual :thumbsup:

Zuki = alittle of both

hey all , brand new 06 myself 5100 out the doorand a free hjc helmet , 500 miles time for the first service. lots of good info here , I read alot but donot post much, too much good reading and too much to learn. :thumbsup:

hey all , brand new 06 myself 5100 out the doorand a free hjc helmet , 500 miles time for the first service. lots of good info here , I read alot but donot post much, too much good reading and too much to learn. :thumbsup:

Might want to check the wiring harness to see if it's rubbing on the fork and chafing. I posted a thread earlier about the problem I found with my 06.

Just picked my DR650 up today. All i can say is WOW :bonk: Live in Northern Indiana and rode it home 50 miles from the dealership. I think I had a smile on my face the whole way home. :thumbsup:

I traded in a 2005 KLR 250 with 970 miles and took a bath on the trade getting $2250 and paid $5100 for the DR.

Almost made a mistake by intially deciding to get a Klr 650. After reading numerous forums here on TT and other sites I decided that the big Kaw

had too many flaws (doohickey problem, fasteners, front brakes,etc.)

:thumbsup:

Looking forward to some warmer weather so I can shed the artic weight poly-pros and the carhartts.

I just bought a new 2006 also. You got about the same deal that I did maybe a little cheaper. I was told by the dealer that I got a better deal then a guy did on a 2005 the previous week. I also checked out all the dealers locally and made some phone calls asking for their best price. I paid $5544.00 out the door.

So far it has just been on the street. (185 miles so far this week.) I don't want to take it off road until I get a good skid plate on it. I have looked and seen what some other people have and will check into getting one soon. Right now most of my time is spent riding it and then spending the rest of the evening warming up. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the group ! Bought my 650 new in 03 and paid about 4100.00 otd in Austin. Got about 4000 miles so far, almost all street. Mine started leaking oil from the upper cylinder area after about 4 months of ownweship :bonk: (luckily while under warranty). The dealer found one of the cylinder bolt studs had been cross threaded into the block at the factory and when it started binding it gave a false torque reading and never was tightened properly. :thumbsup: They had to remove the jug, rethread the hole and replace the stud. Other than that no problems. I'm not really in to extended warranties, but decided to inverst in a three year hitch. :thumbsup:

I'm ready to buy a new set of 90/10 Dunlop 607s to taylor the ride more for the road. Just out of curiosity why do they call the OEM tires "Deathwings" ?

i got my 05 DR650 about 6 months ago and at first i was worried that what i really wanted was the XR650L. well, my friend just went out and got an 06 XR650L 2 weeks ago and after helping him mod it I am glad that I got the suzuki. they both have perks but the honda design is rather odd and every time i tear it apart with him it makes me even more glad that I got a DR650. getting ready to put exhaust, jets, tank, corbin seat, and other mods on mine. cant wait. good luck with your new DR

get a skid plate and the pirelli MT21 is a great tire for all around use.

have you taken the OEM tires off road yet. Try taking them down a gravel road. its like sliding on ice. Keep it above 45 on gravel and your ok. bike locks in great from 45-85 on gravel and dirt.

my first dirt bike was a '92 DR650. Great bike for both off road and on. Lot's off torque. Had off road rubber on it eventually to help with traction. However, soon I outgrew the bike and needed something for the tight trails. I bought the XR400 :bonk: One thing about the DR650 is that it was a great bike for long highway rides. I really miss that now :thumbsup: My XR is not street legal :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity why do they call the OEM tires "Deathwings" ?

That's funny....I wondered the same thing until I brought my new DR home a few weeks ago and took it on a gravel road. I immediately understood why they call them "Deathwings"! The bike was all over the place. I haven't switched the tires yet though, I'm just taking it easy through the break-in period. Just put the 14t sprocket on the other night (nice improvement) and am going to try the air box mod and dynojet w/K&N filter this weekend. I got the extras in the mail earlier this week from Jesse (nice guy!).