Sign in to follow this  

How many hours on tires before replacing?

I have done 35 hours of hardcore MX on my tires and they are now s***. How many hours would you reccomend for new tires, 20 hours? I dont mean those tires which you have on for 20 years, I mean when they have lost the edge over the rest of tires and are starting to slip. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I ride MX only, If you were me when should I have replaced my tires.

thanks

hahaha, thats it...

Depends what kinda tracks ya ride on mate. The mx tracks i ride on are pretty hard packed with some big 130ft+ jumps, so im on the gas as hard as i can to clear them.

I'm pretty picky with tyres, once they start to slip alot on the grass out the front and are about half or abit more worn i just, arch them up with a few skids on the road so they are nice and warm and chuck a newy on.

cheers

Hey FMx_aus, Yeah i ride some preety flat tack hardpacked MX tracks. Always on the gas, so many hours you before you ditch them? :thumbsup:

cheers mate

ay mate,

35 hours seems bloody good... I wouldnt have a clue on how many hours i get, i tend to head out to mates compound and hit the ramp a fair bit too. And hittin ramps at decent gaps starts to &%$#@! ya tires pretty quick.

im guessing with no fmx action and just track work, about 20-25 hours. but with ramps, knock 5 hours off it i recon.

cheers

I raced MX back before there was motocross in this country. We had it but we called it rough scrambles. I was riding a BSA 500 goldstar back in those days. Hell we used to put a paperplate on the light and two on the sides for our numbers. You rode what you raced. We were lucky if we had 5 inches of travel yet we still jumped like idiots. Dude if you're a racer and have been at anytime at all you know when your tires are shot. Once they don't grip right get rid of the damn things before ya break your neck. It ain't rocket science and never has been. prairiedawg

I'm thinking it may be time for a new front tire mine seems to be sliding around a lot but still looks decent although you can tell it's worn some. My back one is just getting rounded and I have maybe 15 hours on it. Maybe more but I doubt it. Some of it is on pavement though.

as soon as i see that front edge of the knobby starting to round off i flip the tire and ride till i see the same then i replace the tire not sure how many hours though i would guess its different because of riding styles,terrain and tires brands (harder compound as opposed to softer)

I know guys who replace tires every couple of races. Once the knob has lost its sharp edge, it has less traction.

I will run mine about 15 hours in soft terrain. Rocks can kill a tire in one all day ride. Depends on the terrain and bike. Obviously a 450 will eat tires quick and also needs sharper tires than an 125 in order for it to hook up.