Moab warning

Went to Moab last weekend. My bike died the first day (cracked cylinder) and so I had to find a rental. The only place I could find was Moab Tour Company. I called them and they said they had XR400's and CRF250's and that the price was $100 - $125 per day. I asked if they could work me a deal if I take it for three days and they said "absolutely. Come on down and we'll talk." So, I go down there, tell the guy my story and how I'm totally stuck, and all of a sudden his price goes from $100 - $125 per day to $125 - $150 per day, and he also mysteriously couldn't find a way to work a deal. I chose the "cheap" bike (at $125/day) and it's an old beat up early nineties xr. He couldn't get it started and said that it's always breaking down on the trail. So, I forked over the extra dough for a CRF250. He rolls it out and it has 6 miles on it. Brand new. CRF250X. OK, this is pretty cool, but the price still sucks. $150 per day! I asked for the insurance and he said they do not offer it. And, since the bike is brand new, if I scratch it I have to replace the part that scratches. What a crock! These guys totally screwed me once they found that I was stuck. Lame. They were not kind in anyway, and their personalities sucked too. Then I get out on the trail and get busted by a ranger because the bike wasn't registered! Idiots. Moab Tour Company. Don't go there.

bmac

You could have said no.

:thumbsup:

True. I would have had to sit in Moab doing nothing for 3 days. My point is that if this is the way those guys do business, it warrants a warning to others. I'd want to know about it if I was heading to Moab.

bmac

Thanks, I hate people that take advantage.......... :thumbsup:

True. I would have had to sit in Moab doing nothing for 3 days. My point is that if this is the way those guys do business, it warrants a warning to others. I'd want to know about it if I was heading to Moab.

bmac

True dat and your message is loud and clear. I would have just left for home. I've had trips crater due to other people getting hurt of blowing up. That's life.

Frankly that would have just frosted my ass enough to walk out of the door.

yikes. shoulda called dale at elite tours. i don't recall his rates, but as long as you're going to pay a buncha money for a bike, you might as well get a ktm, and a guided tour of all the best and most secret trails by the guy that knows moab and the surroundings better than anyone on earth.

when i go to moab i take 2 bikes, or at least my mtn bike so as to be prepared for anything.

hell, at those prices, i would have considered just going to grand junction and buying a new motorcycle.

mw

I was the "guest" on a trip with 9 other guys. Going home wasn't an option. Sitting in the truck was my only alternative. I'll pay through the nose and go ride!

There's a place that rents KTM? I'm SO pissed. I'm a KTM guy. It's my 520 that died! Going from a 520sx to a CRF250x was a let down. I felt like I was riding a Fisher Price bike!

bmac

There's a place that rents KTM? I'm SO pissed. I'm a KTM guy. It's my 520 that died! Going from a 520sx to a CRF250x was a let down. I felt like I was riding a Fisher Price bike!

he runs a tour biz, and he uses ktm's for his customers. not sure if would be able to rent you out a bike w/o a tour package, but it would be worth a call. heck, don't you live in utah? couldn't you have run home and got another one? or are you one of those poor souls that only has 1 motorcycle. if so, that sucks.

i went to moab for a month 3 years ago, at the time i was kinda hoping my 300 would break somehow, and i would have just bought a new bike and fixed the 300 later. unfortunately that thing is too reliable.

mw

That just sucks. You'd think these guys are probably fellow riders and wouldn't just screw you over like that. And to admit that the XR breaks down all the time. Utah is the last place that I want a bike that breaks down.

Velosapiens, I have to ask, what is your avatar? It looks like a piston that has grown tentacles. If that's what it is then, cool. :thumbsup:

Velosapiens, I have to ask, what is your avatar? It looks like a piston that has grown tentacles. If that's what it is then, cool. :thumbsup:

what a squidly question. :thumbsup:

i went to moab for a month 3 years ago, at the time i was kinda hoping my 300 would break somehow, and i would have just bought a new bike and fixed the 300 later. unfortunately that thing is too reliable.

Mark, it would appear that you have more money than I. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I WISH I could go buy a new bike! I'm a poor 1 bike soul, that's for sure. Now I'm a poor broke-bike (not to be confused with broke-back) soul. :bonk:

bmac

i'm going this weekend. i hope i don't break down. if i do, i'll only have to sit out a few rides.

I had a similiar situation, same with those guys :thumbsup: Only I was driving. Took the party of four over to White Sands, loaned my bike to my son, the son's bike to his friend (the one with the broken bike) and then my friend rode his. I ended up spending the day at the truck :thumbsup: cleaning it out, reading, and fixing a flat on the trailer.

I found those guys rude, they thought they had me over a barrel. Haven't been back there since.Their bikes were junk

A friend just sent me this link. He's trying to get some mtn biker buddies to go for a real ride when they're in Moab

http://www.highpointhummer.com/motorcycles.html

High Point Hummers in Moab rents dirt bikes now.

A friend just sent me this link. He's trying to get some mtn biker buddies to go for a real ride when they're in Moab

http://www.highpointhummer.com/motorcycles.html

High Point Hummers in Moab rents dirt bikes now.

those don't look like dirt bikes. they look like hondas. :thumbsup:

i'm taking 2 dirtbikes and a mountain bike to moab in 2 weeks. i figure i can break one bike a day and still be riding.

Thats kinda wierd that anybody in the tourist business would treat you like that. Everybody we ran into in Moab was way cool, friendly and helpful. Unlike FL. I'd make it a point to tell everyone I meet about this exp w these jokers and write a letter to the BBB in moab and chamber of commerce. Let AAA know too, lots of tourism people rely on that AAA rating for thier insurance underwriting, enough complaints and he'll be gone

those don't look like dirt bikes. they look like hondas. :thumbsup:

i'm taking 2 dirtbikes and a mountain bike to moab in 2 weeks. i figure i can break one bike a day and still be riding.

What hell do mean they look like Hondas, I'll put my Honda up against any type of bike you through at me. :thumbsup:

P.S. just razzin ya a little. :bonk:

That does sting

I was the "guest" on a trip with 9 other guys. Going home wasn't an option. Sitting in the truck was my only alternative. I'll pay through the nose and go ride!

bmac

I found that utah a 2 bike trip, that 2nd bike came in handy for me a few times :thumbsup:

what a squidly question. :thumbsup:

Okey-dokey, Hokie :thumbsup: