Dyno Run Question

Local HD shop 1/3 mile from home, has a dyno that will do 3 passes & printout for $70. I personally would like to give it one go in it's stock form. Then complete my Yosh RS3, FCR MX, FC2000 mods. and see what I have gained. Would a Trail Wing be accurate enough for a dyno test, or woud I need a more street oriented tire?

HH

$70! Geez that is pretty high. Three runs are $25 at a local shop near me. Hell I think Burned gives local TTers freebies as his standard operating procedure.

Trailwing would probably be sufficient.

$70! Geez that is pretty high.

Yeah, but everything else in that store represents HD (Hundred Dollars) No matter what it is.

HH

That does seem expensive. Then again I don't know anyone around here that has a Dyno so don't know how much they would charge. BTW why kind of tire does Burned use? On the pics of my CR on the Dyno it looked almost like a bald street bike tire or something I couldn't really tell.

On the pics of my CR on the Dyno it looked almost like a bald street bike tire or something I couldn't really tell.

That picture is the very reason I posted this question.

The trailwing would work fine. You'd have to use it again at the same pressure on the after-mods dyno run.

It's $70 because it's at a Harley shop. They cost more because they give a higher reading to make the HD guys think they got 100's of hp with their screaming eagle mods. :thumbsup:

The trailwing will not be accurate, there will be some slipping. At least that is what I've been told by a couple of dyno operators. A street bike tire is the best option if you can find one.

if you want a actual reading the trail wing doesnt cut it.to much slip.you need a smooth tire.

The trailwing will not be accurate, there will be some slipping. At least that is what I've been told by a couple of dyno operators. A street bike tire is the best option if you can find one.

correct me if I'm wrong but won't tire size affect the final reading. Example: A 110/100-18 will give a different reading (higher or lower I don't know) than a 190/50-17? Not that a person would use these 2 tires they're just the 2 that I can think of.

gearing and tire size have no effect on readings.for example they make the same power in every gear.

if you want a actual reading the trail wing doesnt cut it.to much slip.you need a smooth tire.

Would the trail wing give me a "Close enough" apples to apples test before & after?

gearing and tire size have no effect on readings.for example they make the same power in every gear.

When I had my Z1000 dynoed they did it in 5th gear(it's a 6-speed). They said if it's a 6 spd they do it in 5th a 5spd 4th etc. You're saying they could do it in any gear 1st-6th and the reading would be the same.

hp and torque would be the same yes, provided you could get the traction. That is one reason they don't do it in the lower gears I think.

When I had my Z1000 dynoed they did it in 5th gear(it's a 6-speed). They said if it's a 6 spd they do it in 5th a 5spd 4th etc. You're saying they could do it in any gear 1st-6th and the reading would be the same.

except in the lower gears you will just spin the tire on the dyno.same power.