Sign in to follow this  

Is your thumper loud or quiet poll

Can someone make a poll to see who prefers a loud vs quiet thumper?

Just a little debate with KevXR.

I personally prefer a loud thumper for two reasons saftey awareness on the street and I just like the sound of a growling thumper.

Let us know what you think and the reasons for it. :thumbsup:

A loud thumper isn't really going to be safer. Mine's loud, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to making it more quiet. I was riding last weekend with a guy that had an '89 KTM 500 2 stroke and his silencer fell out. Now THAT was loud!

bmac

A loud thumper isn't really going to be safer. Mine's loud, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to making it more quiet. I was riding last weekend with a guy that had an '89 KTM 500 2 stroke and his silencer fell out. Now THAT was loud!

bmac

I bet it was!

I should clarify I think for street riding a louder bike is safer due to cager awareness.

I like my thumper quiet so that I attract less attention when cruising around the trail I frequent. People are already looking for reasons to officially shut most of the state off from OHV's, making all sorts of racket is just giving them ammunition.

For street riding, I have to agree that louder does help get you noticed, but there are already too many HD riders causing police in my area to issue tickets. Quiet is it for me.

I would love my bike to be not heard at all.

As in "Is that thing running ??".

I can ride my mountain bike almost anywhere, nobody knows you are there.

If our bikes were silent, I think MOST average people would not be so quick to ban us.

I think 70 decibels is too high.

Maybe 57 like a Honda generator is where we should be headed.

I bet it was!

I should clarify I think for street riding a louder bike is safer due to cager awareness.

bs. and if you believe you need a loud bike to be safe on the street, i wonder about the rest of your street-riding skills... Certainly your rationalization skills are fully developed tho.

the safest thing on the street is a skilled and aware rider. your bike can be completely silent and it won't matter a bit.

obviously, i fall into the 'quiet= better' group, on and off-road. loud bikes just get the attention of cops, rangers, sierra clubbers, and cranky old people like me who enjoy their peace and quiet.

As you can tell by the pic below, my bike is pretty damn loud. I don't think that it makes it the coolest bike in the world because of the loudness. I will say this, a 570 with a pipe like mine, makes a pretty unique noise that does sound cool.

newpic1.jpg

Is it really that bad In Cali that you have to think of hurting others feelings when riding? :thumbsup:

yeah, why should we be considerate. that's why i blast the stereo in my car with all the windows down, and have loud parties on the front lawn on weeknights (my neighbors love that). i also just whip it out and pee wherever i want, even in other people's yards. i don't mind farting in elevators. i only bathe a couple times a month, but so what? why should i have to worry about being offensive? i have a right to be a big fat smelly rude disgusting jerkface.

:thumbsup: god bless america, where i have the right to think only of myself, all the time.

bs. and if you believe you need a loud bike to be safe on the street, i wonder about the rest of your street-riding skills... Certainly your rationalization skills are fully developed tho.

the safest thing on the street is a skilled and aware rider. your bike can be completely silent and it won't matter a bit.

obviously, i fall into the 'quiet= better' group, on and off-road. loud bikes just get the attention of cops, rangers, sierra clubbers, and cranky old people like me who enjoy their peace and quiet.

Fair enough velosapiens but did you have to attack my riding ability?

FYI: I live in a city of 5mil I have been riding the street for over 30yrs with only one get off due to my ignorance of a cager! I have on the other hand had many experiences in rush hour traffic where a blip of the throttle with loud pipes has saved my life.

I believe my 30yrs experience and skillz accuired from that experience are what tell me that a louder bike get's noticed and given a little more room to operate safely.

Just my opinion try not to call me names or insult others that feel differantly than you!

Fair enough velosapiens but did you have to attack my riding ability?

FYI: I live in a city of 5mil I have been riding the street for over 30yrs with only one get off due to my ignorance of a cager! I have on the other hand had many experiences in rush hour traffic where a blip of the throttle with loud pipes has saved my life.

I believe my 30yrs experience and skillz accuired from that experience are what tell me that a louder bike get's noticed and given a little more room to operate safely.

Just my opinion try not to call me names or insult others that feel differantly than you!

I like loud on the street too, and quieter for trails. In order to be legal on the street you need to have a horn. Just as easy to activate.

I have 2 DRZ's one is relatively stock and quiet. My SM was a bike burned owned and raced for one season. If ain't quiet by anybodies standards. I can back down a straight piped Harley if I want to. I just don't do it. It does make maximum hp though. I've embarassed a few crotch rockets on mountain roads around here with this bike. Damn they hate seeing they were passed by a single when the twisties stop. Sure they blow by me then but it don't change the fact they were ate alive in the corners by a 51.4 hp motor. Damn that is fun. pdawg :thumbsup:

11,000 RPM is usually louder than a horn. MXJunky has the stock silencer on his CBR, it's loud enough to be noticed. In the dirt MXJunky sports a White Bros E2.

yeah, why should we be considerate. that's why i blast the stereo in my car with all the windows down, and have loud parties on the front lawn on weeknights (my neighbors love that). i also just whip it out and pee wherever i want, even in other people's yards. i don't mind farting in elevators. i only bathe a couple times a month, but so what? why should i have to worry about being offensive? i have a right to be a big fat smelly rude disgusting jerkface.

:thumbsup: god bless america, where i have the right to think only of myself, all the time.

does any of that rant have to do with having a loud enough to be noticed street bike?

Attacking others for having the ability to express themselves is a sign of social degeneration.

Of course if you pee in my yard Ill shoot that little cocktail weeine off !

Just pokin at ya!

I like loud on the street too, and quieter for trails. In order to be legal on the street you need to have a horn. Just as easy to activate.

I dont know about you but I cant find a place for that train horn.

Bwahaaaa

But seriously I can yell louder than a honda XR horn!

I also have a stock xr250 that I use for trail boppin and it is quiet compared to the motard.

does any of that rant have to do with having a loud enough to be noticed street bike?

Attacking others for having the ability to express themselves is a sign of social degeneration.

Just pokin at ya!

Nice burn quoting that rant before he could delete it. :thumbsup:

is it really that bad in texas that you have to think of hurting others' feelings when peeing in their yard?

lol.

actually i'm much less of a noise nazi on the street, because noisy streetbikes don't threaten my street riding future as much as noisy dirt bikes threaten my dirtriding future. i choose to keep my street bike quiet because i like quiet and i assume my neighbors do too. i also don't mow my lawn at 5 AM on sunday morning.

it's not unusual for me to be high up in the mountains, and still be able to hear harleys go by on hwy 50 or 93. those guys are 5-10 miles away !!!!!!! &%$#@!?

-mark

p.s. btw, i have around 100,000 street miles commuting in the bay area, traveling in the US and mexico and generally just riding. i've never really had a close call with a car, and i've never wished my bike was louder so people would look at me.

I dont know about you but I cant find a place for that train horn.

Bwahaaaa

But seriously I can yell louder than a honda XR horn!

I also have a stock xr250 that I use for trail boppin and it is quiet compared to the motard.

Mine has that really annoying high pitch that always makes people jump. Of course they didn't know I was right next to them when they're cutting me off. I like a loud exhaust for the people on cell phones, now if I can just perfect the signal interrupter.