broke key-now what?

Looped the bike on a big hill at Carnegy SVRA and it came down right on the triple clamp/key area and bent the key enough so it will no longer turn. Also broke the back fender but the key thing ended my day as the bike wouldn't start with the key in off position (2001 DRZ400E)

Options are:

1. Get a new key made based on the number on my old key and try that (leaving myself open to having it happen again) hoping it was just the bent key causing ignition switch not to turn

2. Get a waterproof toggle switchm mount it lower so it won't get damaged in a wreck and bypass the key somehow. I would leave ignition key switch on there but inactive since I dual sport it.

Initially I tried Thumer Racing as I read on here that they make a switch kit for $25. I ordered it and after two weeks I didn't see it in the mail so I email them the order # and ask when the part will arrive. They say " oh we discontinued that-sorry."

Two weeks down the tube. I am leaning towards #2 so I can have a more reliable solution. ANy ideas on switches to get? I have a West Marine Store that might carry some higher quality waterproof marine switches that might be good. Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Thanks in advance....CG

Mine just has a toggle switch on it where the previous owner removed the key switch. I ended up having that switch go bad so I put another one on. It works great but mine isn't waterproof it's just one from Radio shack I wired up. I kind of wish I had they keyed ignition switch though something I like about having a key I don't know what it is. Even if it doesn't really protect the bike from being stolen.

I think I'm going keyless because I'm bad with keys. My brother once drove an hour to ride with me and he left his key at home--no ride.

I'll hide the switch. I like the key idea for security but its too exposed where it is now and it will still look like it has a key when I'm done (I think!).

I'm keyless. Of course don't ride much on the street and use a disc lock when I stop and don't live in a high crime area doesn't hurt. That and with the no clutch but a rear mc on the left bar and no rear foot brake really tends to screw with people.

Looped the bike on a big hill at Carnegy SVRA and it came down right on the triple clamp/key area and bent the key enough so it will no longer turn. Also broke the back fender but the key thing ended my day as the bike wouldn't start with the key in off position (2001 DRZ400E)

Options are:

1. Get a new key made based on the number on my old key and try that (leaving myself open to having it happen again) hoping it was just the bent key causing ignition switch not to turn

2. Get a waterproof toggle switchm mount it lower so it won't get damaged in a wreck and bypass the key somehow. I would leave ignition key switch on there but inactive since I dual sport it.

Initially I tried Thumer Racing as I read on here that they make a switch kit for $25. I ordered it and after two weeks I didn't see it in the mail so I email them the order # and ask when the part will arrive. They say " oh we discontinued that-sorry."

Two weeks down the tube. I am leaning towards #2 so I can have a more reliable solution. ANy ideas on switches to get? I have a West Marine Store that might carry some higher quality waterproof marine switches that might be good. Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Thanks in advance....CG

I'd go directly to a REAL locksmith and not those bozos at Home Depot. You'd be amazed at what they can do with broken, bent or lost keys. Might be your cheapest/fastest solution to get to riding again.... :thumbsup:

Hey JTM--nice job! I'll reconsider and try to get a new key and then remount the ignition switch to the side like you did.

Chris