Hole in the engine case

Bought a 04 dr-z S on ebay, it came with the engine case savers. One fell off, on the clutch side. Took my bike for a ride today before I ordered another set and guess what happened. A hole was punched in the case. I'm taking it surprisingly well.

Anybody have any past experience with a case saver falling off. What am I looking at for repair cost. Sure I could do a search but I wanted to share my bonehead blunder.

Now I have to locate a friend with a pick up because I fear this repair may be over my head.

Now I have to locate a friend with a pick up because I fear this repair may be over my head.

If it is just the round clutch cover it is an easy fix, just stick a new cover on with the appropriate silicone adhesive.

But you will still have to replace, or weld the damaged cover for a permanent repair.

You could try JB weld I suppose ?

Neil. ?:bonk::bonk:

Bought a 04 dr-z S on ebay, it came with the engine case savers. One fell off, on the clutch side. Took my bike for a ride today before I ordered another set and guess what happened. A hole was punched in the case. I'm taking it surprisingly well.

Anybody have any past experience with a case saver falling off. What am I looking at for repair cost. Sure I could do a search but I wanted to share my bonehead blunder.

I'm not sure if this is cheaper or not but it's another option and it looks cool

SFB Clutch Cover

Are the DRZ Clutch covers that fragile?????

They are made out of thin magnesium to save weight, unfortunately a tip over in the driveway has actually put the shifter through the generator cover on many bikes. Not mine, I was lucky enough to discover TT before that happened but it is well documented here.

Could I use 2 part expoy resin to stick mine on with, I think I used the wrong silicone and mine have also come loose.?

Not if you want them to work as designed.

They rely on the silicone sandwich to absorb shocks, if you use epoxy they won't fall off

but will transmit any knocks straight through the alloy to the cover, and we all know what happens then :bonk:

Any silicone panel adhesive from an Auto parts dealer will do the job.

Neil. ??:bonk:

I used to swar by JB Weld till I saw epoxy resin in use. I carry some with me where ever I go. When I can ride off road it's in mountain goat territory. I have the case protectors on my bike. Rocks though can and do destroy cases at their leisure. You slip one inch and you have poked a hole in the case. Get some and bring some with you. It has saved many a motor of mine throughout the years. pdawg ?

I used a nice clear rtv silicone (window stuff) to mount mine with and put a big, 1/2" diametre bead of it in a spiral with a closed end. I let it set up a few minutes, then gently placed the cfc on (the covers were off BTW) and applied a couple of ounces of pressure to seat the cover into the silicone. I let them cure overnight and now have a good cushion to absorb shock.

jb weld is epoxy with metal reinforcing fibres/shavings.

I always carry some; saved my hide (or my boots' hide) several times. I have had some on the case cover of another bike now for 10 years, a slight seepage where I didn't get it pressed into the edge of the hole but no probs, I just dont wash the bike and can never see it ? )

CFC calls for that special black silicone stuff (type B? I forget the number...)...it's in the instructions when you get em....me and my buddy both used that stuff on our covers and it's works perfect. I think it is supposed to deal with the engine heat, which maybe the epoxy won't ? ?

• 2 months later...
They are made out of thin magnesium to save weight, unfortunately a tip over in the driveway has actually put the shifter through the generator cover on many bikes. Not mine, I was lucky enough to discover TT before that happened but it is well documented here.

I bought a new DRZ last week. Rode it home 10 miles from the dealer. Let my father-in-law ride it down the street. He fell getting off, and the shifter went through the generator cover. $200 later it was good as new. Got the TT case savers and are installing them today.