ruts and tree roots grrrrrrrr..

ok yesterday i went out for a little rainy day riding on my 426 and i went down on like three diferent hills wihle my two friends went right up on thier 250f's i guess i am a b rider. my problem is the ruts and the tree roots get me really crosed up and screw up my momentum and i end up going down. i no i will get beter with more seat time but if u guys have any pointers for me that would be awesome thanks

how big were the roots and ruts. my best pointers for roots is to stay back and on the gas not sure for ruts as im not very good with them

:thumbsup: It's all elementary my dear 426boy :thumbsup: (i've been wanting to use that smily)

before you even start ur run at the hill try and find a line that has neither of them. the ablity to find these lines fast while approaching the hill comes with time, don't worry. However, if you simply can't avoid them, things get tricky.

If we are talking those wetdirt ruts that are really deep and like the width of your tire, once you get in, stay in. Your simply not going to get out. Sorry.

What works for me is get a whole mess of speed up, and hit the hill in second. Still got the power but you also have a bunch of momentum. There is no substitute for momentum. You will learn to love it more then your girlfriend. Saved my a$$ on more then one occasion.

As for those roots. That is were our good friend momentum comes in handy. Basicly, you bounce over them.

On the way up the hill, try to stay on the gas hard. But you want to avoid wheel spin at all costs. wheel spin = no traction = no momentum = bike on ground with you under it. I know, i've been there too.

But really, it is all about experence. You simply don't have the time to think about what you are doing. You just have to do it. Oh, and avoid the really slick mud. Not much better.

Slick roots and ruts on a hill take excellent throttle control. Especially on a big bore like you're riding. With all that power on tap it's too easy to give it too much gas. This causes the rear wheel to spin, especially on roots. Then you lose both control and momentum.

Try climbing a gear higher and see how that works. If it's too steep you may not have enough torque a gear higher (although on a 426, you should be OK). If that doesn't work, try a little clutch action to keep the rear wheel from breaking lose.

thanks guys i think i need to try a little clutch action that might help and of course the momentum and throtle controll

Dunno if this helps, I'm on a KX450F take the hill in 2nd and keep steady accel if you have a line of avoidance that's great if not get the front to loft a little and hit the buggers with the rear wheel(careful not to shut-off completly to find you front wheel landing in front of another one = downyergo) take a little practice, but the technique (or lack thereof) works well for me.

All good advice. I tend to stand and keep weight back on rear a bit allowing me to keep the front end light and not be as effected by any deflection or slipping in the front. That also helps with deep flooded ruts which you are unfamiliar with and don't know how deep they are. :thumbsup:

i bet you were looking at the roots and ruts when you hit them.. I know that this is all over TT but that is because it helps so much. Don't look down when you hit these obstacle's. Your bike will go where ever you head points and when you look down you have a tendency to loose balance. The throttle control and momentum play a large role in this but balance is a key factor also. Look where you want to go and not at what you are hitting and you will be much better off. Same thing goes for any type of riding.

definatly with looking ahead. Your body (brain???) will remember where they are, and correct according. also, use your periferal vison and scan the entire trail. If you have to try again, it helps to know what the rest of the trail looks like, and possibly where a better line is.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned. You are riding a MX bike. If you are going to ride in the woods with roots and rocks you might want to have your suspension tuned for that. It may be too harsh for what you are trying to do. A properly tuned suspension will make all the difference in the world.

Look ahead and past the roots, keep the front end light and just gas it over them. If you're sliding around when you hit them, better throttle control/and/or/ less throttle is the answer, but if the roots are knocking your handlebars around and you can't stay in a straight line, look into a steering stabilizer.

A revelave on the fork and shock definitely does help you on an MX bike, but it's not completely necessary. I've gone up extremely nasty steep, rocky hillclimbs on a KX100 with stock suspension and a 10oz. flywheel weight......when I weighed 145 pounds...about 45 pounds over the average rider of that bike.

try keeping your weight on your pegs - not your butt, as you can steer with the pegs but not your butt!

thanks guys for the advice i try too look ahead as much as posible but i still havent mastered it yet i find myself looking at the front of the bike and at obstacles that i dont want to hit. i also need to tune my suspension and maby some flywheel weight

Momentun is what we need to avoid all those unessesary falls.

I have learned that all too late. I could have avoided all those falls If I only knew of this long before.

I always wondered why some riders can get through rocky uphills or downhills and I always had to drop my bike.

The secret (that I found though extensive web surfing and testing :thumbsup: ) is that when your moving with enough speed, the wheel spins and creates a gyroscopic effect. That gyroscopic effect stops/prevents any abrupt changes of directions of the bike. A.k.a It will go straight.

I remember when I was a kid I was spinning old bicycle tires and it continue to stand up and roll until it looses momentum.

So if you're moving with enough speed and you encounter slippery roots, the bike should just roll over them. Since you have enough momentun, the bike will just continue to go straight and pass that obstacle.

Momentum, Commitment and Grip.

It is interesting to see pictures and video of the top Enduro guys in action.

If you ever get the chance, have a look at the faces/helmets to see where they are looking...

You guessed it, they are going Fast (momentum) and looking WAYYYY ahead. They have already put the bike where they want it, or near enough for the obstacle they are on, and are processing the next, thinking speed, line etc.

A suggestion, if you want to understand the importance or momentum, try a mountain bike on a rutted and slippery descent. The less momentum the more the wheels will be deflected and the more you then have to rely on Grip.

Good tryes and low pressures sure help in these conditions.

Just my observations

Colin

Remember that what you look at is what you hit look at the escape path rather than the obsticle...

First time I ever heard of a B rider having trouble with ruts and roots.

Plus bent elbows to absorb any shocks from the handlebars when the front wheel hits the root or rut.

Add in elbows pointing outwards and not down. Imagine you're trying to fly with wings. :thumbsup:

i agree

Hmmmmmmmmm. B rider...maybe he meant by he is a beginner rider?