Sign in to follow this  

straddleline - rumor or reality

Last Thursday, I rode with some PSER members and during late lunch after riding, we were talking about various riding places. I mentioned that I was looking forward to the opening of Straddleline and helping out, etc...

One of the PSER members mentioned an article in a weekly newspaper published out there in Kitsap / Mason county area that Straddleline will not be opening as planned.

Any validity to this or ????

Mike - mx813

I started a thread here a couple weeks ago relaying an article out of the Aberdeen Daily World about Straddline. Apparently, the yuppies running the majority of the house and senate put the kibash on state grant $$$ for straddeline.

As of now, I think the Grays Harbor county commisssioners are scratching their heads as to the next step. This would really suck if the bottom falls out So-o-o-o-o-o close to becoming a reality. The volunteeer help is ready, we just need dollars.

Where's those ORV tab $$$ when we need it? :thumbsup:

This is exactly the type of things that are happening all over the state. We need to find out who is in charge and send emails/letters to get that place open.

Actually, it would help if you had your facts straight before flying off the handle. :thumbsup:

The bill you are refering to is SB 6355 sponsored by Senators Sheldon and Stevens. This bill would have reduced the maximum level of ORV sound from 105 decibels to 96 decibels, allocated $100,000 from the general fund to the IAC for education and enforcement activities by state and local government grants, and created a working group under the direction of the DNR to address issues related to access to public and private lands for recreational ORV use.

This bill is now dead.

Here is the information you are looking for:

The Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation (IAC) is formulating a business plan to reopen and operate the ORV park located on the boundary line between Thurston and Grays Harbor counties in the state of Washington, now named Straddleline ORV Park. You may recall Thurston County operated the park for many years, then closed it in 2002. Grays Harbor County has been working to reopen the park with funding assistance from the NOVA program.

In September 2005, the IAC board adopted Resolution 2005-23, which reads in part: "the Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation, approves a one-time non-competitive grant (to Grays Harbor County) of up to $424,000 in a three-tier funding strategy: 1) up to $59,000 for initial operating costs to satisfy legal nonconforming use permit requirements, 2) up to $15,000 for completion of a professional facility condition survey, business plan, and exit strategy, and 3) up to $350,000 for development and maintenance of the facility for two years once IAC approves the proposed business plan and exit strategy."

Grays Harbor County, with the help of volunteers and user groups, has successfully satisfied the requirements to preserve the special use permit! In addition, they worked with the Grays Harbor Council of Governments to prepare a draft business plan, which was made available to the public on January 23, 2006, and can be viewed online at their Website http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/in...sinessPlan.html

The county has scheduled a hearing to review public comment on the draft plan on Monday, February 6, 2006. For more information on the public hearing, see http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/in...ing20060206.pdf. The IAC board will review the draft plan at their February 3, 2006 meeting in Olympia and consider whether to release the final $350,000 in funding. Because this date is prior to formal adoption by the county, you are encouraged to submit any comments you want the IAC board to consider directly to IAC at KammieB@iac.wa.gov or fax to 360-902-3026.

Here is a link to more information on the February 3rd meeting.

http://www.iac.wa.gov/Documents/IAC/Board/Agendas/02-2&3-06/Item18_StraddelineORVPark.pdf

Hopefully this information has been helpful in clearing up any misconceptions.

Last Thursday, I rode with some PSER members and during late lunch after riding, we were talking about various riding places. I mentioned that I was looking forward to the opening of Straddleline and helping out, etc...

One of the PSER members mentioned an article in a weekly newspaper published out there in Kitsap / Mason county area that Straddleline will not be opening as planned.

Any validity to this or ????

Mike - mx813

Well, the Kitsap/Mason county doesnt know squat, the Straddleline ORV Park is going to open up this spring (not too long now

:thumbsup: cant wait!)

StraddleLine will open on April 1st. :thumbsup:

Clean up parties are March 18 and 19th and also March 25 and 26th.

All help appreciated.

The news article misinterpreted the $20 fee bill (SB 6354) being killed and reported that StraddleLine is losing it's funding. It is losing funding this way, (by day users) it is NOT losing the IAC and NOVA monies.

In the past, day users paid an eight dollar fee. Because of insurance problems and existing statute, a fee cannot be charged without incurring additional liability. We (ORV users) needed the bill to pass in order to help fund StraddleLine. The bill did not mean that a $20 fee must be charged by ORV sports parks, but that liability did not attach nor was the $20 a "fee."

Reality is you don't get anything for free. If you want a place to ride you will have to pay for it. Killing this bill only hurts the ORV user. :thumbsup:

John....

Thanks for the clarification. I will be available for the work party on March 25 / 26....

I'll look for a new post regarding the work parties!

Mike

What days will the park be open to ride? And what hours?

Come to one of the clean up parties on March 18th or 19th or also on March 25th and 26th, any one day (you don't have to make all 4 workdays) and I'll give you a schedule and cook you a cheeseburger :thumbsup:

John

Hey, no one complained last year. I even got a thank you in the NMA newsletter. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Anyway, you can work on an empty stomach, I'll give your cheeseburgers to Gary. A few less cheeseburgers for you could help the acceleration on that clapped out RM and maybe even save your fork seals. :bonk:

Just got this from Tom Fite:

"Could you lend me a hand and forward this to as many people as you can, and let them know there are work parties at the ORV Park every weekend now until the park opens April 1st. For more info go to the work party web site at:"

www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/ORV/workparty.html

I guess they just added the weekend of the 11th and 12th today, I'm already scheduled for that weekend... Sorry no Cheeseburgers for you on the 11th and 12th. :thumbsup:

John-

As an Oregon resident with family in Mason & Grays Harbor counties the re-opening of Straddleline is great news. The best with the April1st grand re-opening.

I'm sure my family will visit the complex in the late Spring/Summer when we roll up with the bikes.

Jeff

John-

As an Oregon resident with family in Mason & Grays Harbor counties the re-opening of Straddleline is great news. The best with the April1st grand re-opening.

I'm sure my family will visit the complex in the late Spring/Summer when we roll up with the bikes.

Jeff

We'll be happy to have you and your family visit :bonk::eek::eek:

Nice campgrounds, beautiful area, hot showers, concessions, 150 acre park with a MX track and a peewee track, StraddleLine has a major trail head access to the Capitol Forest motorized trail system. :thumbsup: We hope to have the RV sites with hookups going in the future.

A BIG thanks :bonk::bonk: to ALL who helped on the reopening of StraddleLine: Commish Bob Beerbower, Mike and AL. Tom F, Ed B, Angie M, TMC, SMC, PN4WD, NMA, PSER, the IAC and many many others. :thumbsup:

You can make difference :lol::bonk::bonk::eek::eek::lol: