Sign in to follow this  

hitting neutral

no problems under sane riding conditions, but when i wheelie in first and go to grab second i sometimes find neutral. anybody else having these problems? :thumbsup:

no problems under sane riding conditions, but when i wheelie in first and go to grab second i sometimes find neutral. anybody else having these problems? :bonk:

I used to have the same problem, when changing during a wheelie.

I found that I was keeping my foot under the shift lever, and partially lifting it as the wheel came up, and that prevents a clean change.

Keep your foot out of the way, until you need to change, Oh and I now use the clutch to change up, wheelie or not.

Neil. :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk:

thats what i figured, its just my sloppy shifting technique because i'm going into nuetral green light and all. it's not a false nuetral and no gear grinding. thanks :thumbsup:

Hey Joker,

With my 06 DRZs, I too have experienced the "Hitting Neutral" problem as well. Depending on a persons riding skills, there are a couple of ways to avoid this happening. Usual, the problem comes from being at too high an RMP when you go to bang 2nd, and being the gear box is actually shifting twice instead of once (having to pass neutral first), chances are you end up locking into neutral and never making 2nd gear.

While wheeling, we tend to constantly increase speed, thus needing to up shift, however, if you learn to hold it in a particular gear longer by goosing the throttle, or better yet, riding the break to maintain the balancing point, you can better regulate your up-shift time. If you are good enough to master "Riding the break" wheelies, you can go all day in one gear wheelies, I personally am getting pretty good at it, but it does take much coordination, as I find myself being a little too hard on the break while concentrating on my next shift, causing the front wheel to drop past the return point of a wheelie. Bottom line, to achieve a smooth shift to 2nd, your best bet is to have the front wheel high enough (careful, don't loop it) to the point you are letting off the throttle while hitting 2nd, or again, learn the riding the break technique, as this too will allow lower RPM up-shifts. This I assure you will eliminate getting stuck in neutral (Baring any gear box problems)

From the looks of you smoking up the "Crotch Rocket" in your AVATAR, I don't see it being too big a problem for you.

Good Luck, Be careful ( Fenders and Taillight assembly's aren't cheap) and Happy Wheeling too you. :thumbsup:

Manzs.