Helmet Washing

I wash our helmets by hand with oxy clean or baby shampoo. I remove the pads that come out and take out the foam and wash the material. The helmet itself, although I don't soak it wet, I do wash the forehead part, the back of the neck part in it in the sink and the outside as well and get out all the dirt that gets stuck in the vents... Let it dry and put it back together the next day.

Take your helmet into the shower with you. Shampoo your head an work up a thick lather. Soak the inside of your helmet, then pull it onto your head and move it around in a scrubbing motion. Sounds stupid but works pretty damn good. ?

The motorex stuff is pretty good at getting the stink out but not great at actually cleaning.

i found out the all the fabric on the inside comes out. I took it out, filled the sink up with water and washed it with some laundry detergent. It worked great! The water turned a nice tan/brown color from all the dirt. My helmet should feel brand new now! There was also some sticky stuff holding it in, so i put some double stick tape on that to help it stick back in there.

Stay away from Dishwashers!!

I washed mine in the dishwasher based on someone elses rec.

I forgot about it and the heat cycle ended up shrinking the rubber mouldings around all of the openings in the helmet. That is just cosmetic, I have no idea whether it affected the integrity of the shell.

I have had problems with reinstallation of the liners on previous helmets (Bell) after washing, so on my last two helmets, (Bell), I just spray a light film of all purpose cleaner such as 409 on the liner without removing it, let it soak a few minutes, rinse it out with a hose and let it air dry. Works very well for me. Between washings (infrequently), I spray some Febreze on once in a while to keep the odor at bay.

Take your helmet into the shower with you. Shampoo your head an work up a thick lather. Soak the inside of your helmet, then pull it onto your head and move it around in a scrubbing motion. Sounds stupid but works pretty damn good. ?
? If you eat right, your helmet won't stink. :bonk:

ROFLMAO ? I can just imagine the look on my wife's face if she found me in the shower with my helmet on

I have removed the pads and washed them in the sink with Woolite. Just be sure to rinse them well and to thoroughly air dry them out of direct sun light before replacing them.

One prior poster had recommended lathering your hair, inserting head and washing it that way. ? If he later recommends drying the helmet in a clothes dryer, please, remove the helmet and stay out of the dryer with it. Sounds stupid, but my younger brother "took the ride" once when we were little. I'm sure that if he ever decides to pro-create later in life, his kids will be just as fawked up like he is.

I have heard many others use this method ?