Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250 or 450

This is probably the same old question but here we go anyways. I have never riden a dirt bike before but i am going to get into it. I was wondering what everyone thought. I like to go fast. I will mainly be riding in the desert and trails but i live 15 minutes away from the dunes so i will probably be hitting them every once in a while. I want to buy a bike that I am not going to grow out of so i was wondering if i should just get the 450 or stick with buying the 250. Keep in mind i am a fat dude (6' 215). Is a 450 going to be to hard to learn on?

This is probably the same old question but here we go anyways. I have never riden a dirt bike before but i am going to get into it. I was wondering what everyone thought. I like to go fast. I want to buy a bike that I am not going to grow out of so i was wondering if i should just get the 450 or stick with buying the 250. Keep in mind i am a fat dude. Is a 450 going to be to hard to learn on?

1. Where are you going to ride it (desert, tracks trail?)

2. How fat is fat?

3. How old are you how agressive do you think you would ride?

Welcome to the fat old man club. :thumbsup:

If you are a fat guy the 250 is set-up for lighter guys. The suspension is set-up for guy more like 170 pounds. If you ride hard it will be a big issue, and you will have to redo the suspension on it. Check into how much it will cost you to do the forks and rear spring before buying a bike, no matter what bike it is. The 450 suspension is set-up a little more for the fat guys. It all comes down to how fat you are.

I think if you can learn to ride a 250, you can ride the 450. The only issue you will have is the 450 is 25 pounds more.

I think you will be happy with the power of a 250, but if your looking for a rocket the 450 will be the bike unless you have a lot of money to dump into the 250 to make it faster. Since you have never road a bike they will all seem very fast at first.

For me I like the 250 a lot, it's nice to be able to handle it's weight. But if I had to do it again, I think I would have got the 450 just because it was set-up a little more for this fat guy, but thats just me.

Exactly the opposite, I had not been on a Bike in 25 years listened to some friends and got a 450R. That was way to much for me to start off with. I had fun on the bike but it was way more then I wanted. I sold the 450 and got a 250X, did some modifications to improve performance, "The CCC Mods" and a new Pipe. That was nice, went and had the suspension done for my weight, "275 lbs" and the Bike was perfect. I am not going to try and tell you what to do but here it is. A 250X with the CCC Mods and Q Pipe, "Must meet the sound requirements" is the way to go. It does not matter what Bike you get, the most important thing that you have to know is both Bikes are built for the little guys. Get your suspension done and set up for you. Tell the truth to the Guy that does it, He could care less how big you are. After I had the suspension done it was so sweet, go ahead and do it.

Suspension is the most important thing if you are big. After you will not have to fight the Bike anymore.

RJ

First bike? For your size and intended riding, the 450X would probably be best. If only for the fact the the 250X will require advanced skills to keep it floating in sand. But, the 450X won't be easy to learn on, compared to the 250X. Any chance of picking up a used "starter bike" for cheap to learn the basics on? Maybe a lesson someplace?

The 450X's power may inhibit the learning process. It's not a violent bike, but the power could be intense for a newer rider. Not that it can't be done, but having less things to concentrate on while riding off-road is a safer way to go.

If you do end up with a big-bore, try this simple method to NOT get yourself caught up in some sort of WFO disaster scenario. Before starting out, do not grasp at the throttle with your hand raised over the grip -- merely open your hand, holding it level with the grip, and move it forward to meet the grip. Newer riders tend to want to grab a handful. Once the bike lurches forward, their top-heavy grip on the bars rolls the throttle on. As they try to hang on, the throttle gets twisted even further.