How long do you think 2 strokes will stay around for?

They are already practically gone in the pro's. Honda and Yamaha will hold out the longest. I'll bet this is the last year for the kx250.

Hey people said the kx125 was goin last year but last time i checked you could buy it

Minis will probly be around for at LEAST 5 years, There bound to come up with a high percormance mini thumper soon. The 125's will be the first to "go"

They can't put a stop to 2-strokes. they will just start making them more enviromentaly friendly, SO how long till the 2strokers are gone, I bet they will always be around, some new tech is always around the bend ?

They can't put a stop to 2-strokes. they will just start making them more enviromentaly friendly, SO how long till the 2strokers are gone, I bet they will always be around, some new tech is always around the bend ?

The only hole in your logic is there really hasn't been significant R&D done on smokers in a while. I think the basic design of CR 250 motor dates back to 2002 while the CRF engines get their designs modified or altered every year. The fact that the EPA has tightened the noose on 2-strokes making all of them "closed course" bikes for 2006 complicates things. 2 strokes may still have life in racing, but their trail days a fast coming to an end ?

Part of me wishes they will come back, they are fun to ride. However, the main complaint on 4 strokes is cost of maintainance, and I don't find them expensive to maintain. I just did a top end for $75.00. Piston, rings, etc.. all the same stuff a 2 stroke would get. I would be happy with either and I would ride either. I like riding 4 strokes better but 2 strokes are fun too. I'm faster on a 4 stroke, I also get hurt more on 4 strokes. I was thinking of buying a new 2 stroke next year just to keep to ride as I get older. I'll be fourty next year.

Part of me wishes they will come back, they are fun to ride. However, the main complaint on 4 strokes is cost of maintenance, and I don't find them expensive to maintain. I just did a top end for $75.00. Piston, rings, etc.. all the same stuff a 2 stroke would get. I would be happy with either and I would ride either. I like riding 4 strokes better but 2 strokes are fun too. I'm faster on a 4 stroke, I also get hurt more on 4 strokes. I was thinking of buying a new 2 stroke next year just to keep to ride as I get older. I'll be forty next year.

apperently Boseine(major spelling mistake) the reed company, the company that makes the "quick shot" for FCR carbs, had a totally redesigned 2 stroke engine that had 50% more power, 25% more torque, burn 25% less fuel, and have up to 50% less emmissions. i think this is possibly BS but look for it in the future

The 2-stroke engine will be around for a long time for use in power applications and stuff like that but in dirtbikes I'm pretty sure they'll be around just a bit longer before they go down the shitter. There's also the GNCC too. I would also say that it's not the manufacturers that'll stop making the bike but the countries laws which is what will stop the sales of them in certain countries.

I think it's sad what has happened to two strokes. I think the latest and greatest mentality attached to four strokes helped them keel over as much as any performance disadvantage. For the average rider I don't think four strokes are so much batter as all the mags say. For the top 1%, ie pro SX and MX riders, yes motor is everything. But, from my experience from riding with friends and trading bikes I can honestly say that 2 strokes handle better, while four strokes are a little faster and I'm pretty even with lap times. I think this would be the case for at lest 70% of guys out there, but since there's no two strokes in the pro ranks, they aren't fast enough, or cool enough. And at 17 there's no way i could pay for the cost of a four stroke.

In the end, whiny enviromentalists and politicians will kill the two stroke. It's a shame IMO because it's such a mechanicaly beatiful design and is so simple to work on. Not to mention the smell of premix in the morning. It's gonna be a sad day for sure. ??:bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek:?:bonk::bonk::eek::eek:???????????

They are already making a lot of 4 stroke engines for weed wackers, backpack blowers and other lawn related products. I don't think the motorcycle days are numbered yet. I think you will have trouble finding a 2-stroke string trimmer before you have trouble finding a 2-stroke dirtbike. I have heard KTM is still putting money into 2-st technology. If this is correct, then maybe they know something about keeping the 2-st alive for the longhaul. There could be ways to make them environmentally friendly I don't know about that would keep them around. We can only hope! 2-st just fits me better.

2 strokes wil always out rip the boring tame 4 stroke.

The 4 stroke is such a lazy mans bike. And know with all this electric start and odometers for this and that. Its just unesacery shit. How lazy does someone have to be that they cant kick a bike over. you have to put up with all that extra weight for such a stupid thing. Get off your ass and kick god dammit.

2 STROKES FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!