How do you oil your filter?.....with oil?

I used to use the spray kind of filter oil and now I switched over to the oil. What method do you guys find easiest, with the least amount of oil waste?

put the filter in a bucket or icecream container, put some oil in. Soak the oil up with the filter, massage it around so there is no dry spots on the filter and ya are done.

Not real hard mate.

cheers

go to your local day-old store and buy some plastic bread loaf bags. put your filter in, pour oil in, and squish around until evenly saturated and squeeze out excess. then remove from the bag and install.

I use 1 gallon zip lock bags. pour the oil sparingly on the filter and then work it in. It is easier to add a bit more oil than to try and get the excess oil out.... less wasteful too.

If you have multiple filters. the zip lock bags are a good way to store pre-oiled filters.

About how much oil do you put in the bag to begin with? I have always used spray oil, and recently got some No Toil, just to give it a try.

I used to use the spray kind of filter oil and now I switched over to the oil. What method do you guys find easiest, with the least amount of oil waste?

The least amount of waste????? Go back to the spray kind. No Toil aerosol. :thumbsup:

i get the surgical gloves on (the white ones) and just pour it on my filter and start rubbing it into the foam. that's the only way that i like to do it because all the other ways just don't cut it for me. They either don't distribute it good enough or something. Besides, you have to grab it in order to put the filter back on the bike..don't you?

An old TT trick with NoToil oil is to drill a bunch of small holes in the screw top of an oil bottle, and use it like a salt shaker to dab on a bunch of oil dots. Then work the dots into the filter using latex gloves on your hands. Be sure to shake up the oil container before shaking out the dots, to mix the oil and carrier components.

Whats up with all you guys using gloves and bags? Afraid to get a little dirty? :thumbsup:

I just use the spray kind and work it in (with my bare hands!). It has always worked well for me.

Maxima spray oil....It's like a sore pecker...it can't be beat!

After using Maxima spray, I found out the hard way that it doesn't penetrate very far into the filter, unless you use TONS of it and that gets expensive. Under extreme conditions, I was passing dirt!

I switched to Maxima FFT liquid, and I saturate the filter completely then squeze out the excess. This stuff is super tacky, and nothing is going to get by it!

Don't use engine oil, because it isn't thick enough to stay in the filter. It will "drain down" and leave you with a dry filter.

Bel-Ray and rubber gloves,, just pour some on and squish it around until it's distributed evenly..

About how much oil do you put in the bag to begin with? I have always used spray oil, and recently got some No Toil, just to give it a try.

The aerosol costs more per oz than the pour type. The NoToil aerosol is 12oz and the pour type is 16 oz, and they cost about the same. You will just have to experiment with the correct quantity. Don't put the oil in the bag, put the filter in the bag and pour a bit of oil on the filter while in the bag. That keeps excess from dripping away while you work it in to spots that are not yet covered. You'll get the hang of gauging the correct quantity in no time. :thumbsup:

Don't use engine oil, because it isn't thick enough to stay in the filter. It will drain down and leave you with a dry filter.

In the manual for my bike, it says to use either motor oil or air filter oil. I would never use motor oil on my filter, but I wonder why Yamaha would say that? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have used both No-Toil Spray and the liquid. I found that the liquid works a little better for me but it all comes down to personal preference.

i use spray oil...i think its the easiest

I use a bucket or any sort of container wear a pair of latex gloves and let the filter soak as much oil as it needs/wants. Then i SQUEEZE NOT WRING the excess no waste at all as you simply pour the remainder back into the bottle.

In the manual for my bike, it says to use either motor oil or air filter oil. I would never use motor oil on my filter, but I wonder why Yamaha would say that? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Because they want you to buy a new bike every couple of years.

I use a bucket or any sort of container wear a pair of latex gloves and let the filter soak as much oil as it needs/wants. Then i SQUEEZE NOT WRING the excess no waste at all as you simply pour the remainder back into the bottle.

That's what I do except I use a bucket with a lid so I can just leave the excess in the bucket for next time.

Spend 10 seconds putting on gloves to save 5 minutes of trying to scrub the stcky slimy crap off your hands and out of your fingernails.

gloves + Notoil = clean and fast oiling. Do three at a time.