1996 cr80 come with reed's or power valve?

Well like the title says....im trying to figure out if it has reeds or a powervalve... thanks

BUMP???? :thumbsup:

all 2 strokes have reeds. The power valve is usually a mechanical valve that opens up the higher the RPM.

Why do you ask?

The answer is both.

The answer is both.

Well it lost power and is hard to take off!!! think its reeds? or where should i start?

The answer is both.

I thought the kx's and rm's were the only 80/85s with powervalves???

Right. 1996 CR80 does not have powervalves.

all 2 strokes have reeds.

I call bullshit.

I could be mistaken as it has been ten years since I was wrenchin' on 80's (thank god). I thought cr's had them by '96, but then again I had three boys racing mx at the time, it's all a little fuzzy. Do you have an owners manual? As far as it being down on power, there could be many reasons. The bike is ten years old, do you know the history of the bike? 80's run at a very high RPM. The piston and ring wear out very quickly. Is it hard to start? That could be a sign that the rings and piston are worn. If it has a power valve, it could be caked with oil and not opening. The reeds could be frayed on the edges and that could be the cause of the problem. More that likely the problem is worn out piston/ring, dirty power valve, and maybe reeds. A qualified mechanic could diagnose the problem rather easily. How's the clutch?

Checking the reeds is the easiest thing to do. They should fit snugly against the reed cage and not be frayed or tattered. Seals could also be bad. Could be top end also. When was the last time the top end was done?

I call bullshit.

I 2nd that.

Not all 2 strokes have to have reeds, some will use the piston as a valve, but most 2 strokes I have ever seen does use reed valves. As for the power valve (many different names by different manufact) just changes port timing and compression ration for better power over a wider engine rpm range. So it could have both, maybe one or the other, maybe even neither. I'm not that familar with the CR80 to give you a definitive answer. But I'm guessing it DOES have reeds and possibly a power valve. :thumbsup:

I could be mistaken as it has been ten years since I was wrenchin' on 80's (thank god). I thought cr's had them by '96, but then again I had three boys racing mx at the time, it's all a little fuzzy. Do you have an owners manual? As far as it being down on power, there could be many reasons. The bike is ten years old, do you know the history of the bike? 80's run at a very high RPM. The piston and ring wear out very quickly. Is it hard to start? That could be a sign that the rings and piston are worn. If it has a power valve, it could be caked with oil and not opening. The reeds could be frayed on the edges and that could be the cause of the problem. More that likely the problem is worn out piston/ring, dirty power valve, and maybe reeds. A qualified mechanic could diagnose the problem rather easily. How's the clutch?

Here's how this goes.....I used to race MX from when i was 4... my parents bought me the bike brand new when i was ten and it was my learning bike cuz i was still racing 60's.....i bumped up to 80's the next year and raced on it...then the year coming around my parents got a divorce and i couldnt race anymore because of the money situation... then i rode it a couple more times that folowing winter and on the last time it lost almost all power.... now its been sittign for about 5 years... I'm 18 now into car's and need the money to finish my car right now... I dont have a manual and im pretty mechanical so i was just looking hwere to start...the nearest honda shop is about an hour away..... so i was hoping to get a good grasp on the problem with the bike. i think my buddy could prolly hook me up with a deal hes a pro rider now...Thanks for your help!...

Checking the reeds is the easiest thing to do. They should fit snugly against the reed cage and not be frayed or tattered. Seals could also be bad. Could be top end also. When was the last time the top end was done?

I hope its not the top end!!! I'm looking to get some money out of this thing...!!!! Thankyou all!!!

I'm going to order some Reed's and rip into the thing this weekend!!! :thumbsup:

Top ends are easy and cheap. There's really nothing on a 2 stroke that will cost a lot of money to fix. Just to let you know again, CR's do not have powervalves. Neither does Yamaha.

I call bullshit.

All two strokes have reeds.

I call bullshit.

And I call jackass!

Come on bud, if your gonna make a post like that then at least validate it.

That said, other than your esoteric applications (like diesels etc) that do not use reeds, name me one motorcycle 2 stroke engine in the past 20 years that do not use reeds.

If you can, then I will concede but take solace in the fact I have learned something new. If you can not, then go ...... (oops sorry can't say that as I am sure to get banned)

All two strokes have reeds.

wrong. my '71 kawasaki f6 has a rotary valve. no reeds. both of my ski-doos reed-less piston ported type engines. have you ever seen a weedeater with reeds? i havent. i've worked on a LOT of them.

the 96-02 cr 80 HAS reeds and no power valve, take your carb off and pull the reed cage off and look at the condition of the reeds, they are cheap to replace,20 or 25 bucks, they should not be chipped broken etc. power valves are on suzukis and Kawasaki's not Honda's and Yamaha's.

wrong again- powervalves are not brand specific. yamahas have had powervalves since 1982 on the yz 125s. hondas have power valves. rotax has powervalves, although they are the guillotine stile not common to dirtbikes. you are right about the reeds though. reeds are very common and most bikes have them.

wrong again- powervalves are not brand specific. yamahas have had powervalves since 1982 on the yz 125s. hondas have power valves. rotax has powervalves, although they are the guillotine stile not common to dirtbikes. you are right about the reeds though. reeds are very common and most bikes have them.

in case you didn't notice we are talking DIRT BIKES And more specific cr80 's and 96-02 cr 80 's DO-NOT have power valves period!!!