Sign in to follow this  

No more "Blue Nut" My rear shock is leaking! Now what?

Tried to turn the "non blue nut" out on my 00E. Doesnt work that way it seems. So when i saw it start to squirt i tightened it back up. Now it leeks, Wont stop. What do i do know? And what to i have to take apart to refill the shock??

I can work on almost any part on a motorcycle, forks, top-ends, 2 or 4 stroke, gear box, clutch you name it, but I always send out my shocks. sorry They are pressurized with gas and oil and require special tools most dealerships don't have. The good news is there are a lot of people doing shock work that compete and that keeps the price down usually $100 to refill/pressure your shock, $200 for a good re-valve.

Since its just the o-ring at the adjuster screw, couldnt i just replace the o-ring and refill the shock Per the Manual?? Easy Peasy??

But i could still just refill it and have it recharged right? No need to send it for servicing.

First, release the pressure. Now you can take the adjuster out and replace the O ring. What you really shoud do is take it to a suspension shop and have it serviced: oil chage, etc and re-charged. You may have blown the blatter by releasing the pressure like you did and even if you didn't, you lost some oil and now have air/oil mix in the shock.

Shocks are very simple to service. Just follow the manual to change the oil then take it in and have it recharged to the proper specs. :thumbsup:

I did my shock when I installed the Gold Valve. It is a messy job for sure, but definitely doable. My local dealership recharged the nitrogen for a 6-pack.

I have the Race Tech video on servicing your shock that I'd be willing to loan you. It shows you step by step what to do. PM me if interested.

DRZ shock is fairly easy to work on with common tools. you just need to know how it comes apart.

My manual has the whole shock oil change section. 6.36-6.37. It automatically has you replace the seal i blew (compression adjuster assembly seal). It looks easy as can be. Am i missing something here????

it should be easy. you'll have to file/grind the crimp off of the end of the shaft and nut. then deburr the shaft and replace the nut and use locktite on the nut.

No procedures in the manual.. As far as the OEM is concerned, the shock is not a serviceable part. :thumbsup: But I would agree, it's not hard to work on.

I think you got a bum manual, mine has complete instructions for dissasembly and assembly of the shock including changing the fluid. :thumbsup:

You do not have to disassemble the shock to change the fluid: remove the spring, release the pressure, remove the compression damper (hex thing), dump/pump out the old, refill and get all the air out (that is the hard part), replace the compression damper, have the nitrogen re-charged, replace the spring.

If I remember right I was able to take the adjuster out, collapse the shock (with the spring off) and submerge the top of the shock in fluid and then extend the shock back out and it would suck the shock full of fluid. It does take a while to get the air bled out though.

I think you got a bum manual, mine has complete instructions for dissasembly and assembly of the shock including changing the fluid. :bonk:

rearshocknote.jpg

Yup, ok,, and here are the available repair parts

:thumbsup:

Never said I have not worked on um,, that they can not be worked.. just that as far as the OEM service manual is concerned, as far as OEM parts are concerned.. the rear shock is NON SERVCABLE :thumbsup:

Tried to turn the "non blue nut" out on my 00E. Doesnt work that way it seems. So when i saw it start to squirt i tightened it back up. Now it leeks, Wont stop. What do i do know? And what to i have to take apart to refill the shock??

Do you have the adjustable rebound damping, located at the lower end of the shock, on the mounting clevis or fork ???

If not, your shock is the same as my 2000 S one, and you do not have a bladder in the shock.

Neil. :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk:

EDIT: You need to wait for Ross Buckingham to chime in on this one, as he has just rebuilt his shock, at home, and he had no problems.

Or PM him if in a hurry.

Neil.