All 250SX-F Riders---Read

Hey guys. I just curious on when a good gas cap is going to come out for this bike because i have had 2 now and am kind-of frustrated. Also, my frame guard on the left side has melted off..... lasly, does any one know of and manufactures of people who are selling radiator braces? Thanks ?

The gas cap is a total joke...and a bad one at that. The bikes are great except for that one area. Small detail, but it really pisses me off when it starts leaking. I'm on my 3rd with a 4th in the truck as a backup. Last time it leaked I just told my friends I fouled another gas cap. Shouldn't have said it, since that's all I hear from them now. ?

My cap leaks a little bit but its nothing to worry about really.

One of the tank companies (like clark or something) should make a stock size tank for the SXF that uses a normal screw on cap. I could careless about having a 1/4 turn cap, ive never been in that much of a hurry to fill up my tank.

You might want to pick up a spare. My first cap leaked a little for 2 or 3 rides then almost instantly turned into an unrideable gusher. After you pay at the gate, then unload your bike at the track...not the best time to find out it let loose.

My cap leaks a little bit but its nothing to worry about really.

One of the tank companies (like clark or something) should make a stock size tank for the SXF that uses a normal screw on cap. I could careless about having a 1/4 turn cap, ive never been in that much of a hurry to fill up my tank.

KTM should make a tank the stock size with a screw on cap and offer it up to the people that are repeatedly having problems...

Someone said the gas cap seal needed a little lube on it, just spray it with Pam. I use that on my Husky which has a cap that is stiff to turn.

I'm so paranoid about it now, that I spray a little silicone on it everytime I gas up. The cap on there now (since I started doing this) seems to be lasting past the 5 hour point...still don't trust it though.

Remember last season when Lil' Hanny dumped it in a corner and he got a crotch full of gas? :bonk:

I wrecked in a corner once (hard, just kinda lowsided) and my gas cap popped off. About a gallon of fuel ended up on the ground and it wasnt fun picking up a bike that had gas pooring out of the tank. Luckly i wasnt in the middle of a race, i wouldnt have had enough gas to finish.

About the frame guard "melting" off, if you mean it just fell off...well mine did to, im sure it was my fault. I probably missed that bolt when i checked over the bike for loose bolts ? . I ordered another set of guards and bolts so i have some extras. I also zip tied the guards to the frame so if the bolt falls out atleast i still have my guard. You know that little groove on the top of the guards? That is for a zip tie i believe, or atleast thats what im using it for now ?

• 2 weeks later...

My son had an 05 250 sxf, which we sold, when we bought an 06 250 sxf. both fuel caps leaked, but I stopped both leaks by putting an o-ring on the cap. I used a 41mm I/D - 3.5mm section, size o-ring, but a 44mm I/D - 3.5mm section will work also. No more leak! ? The brand of o-ring that I used was "Dorman" o-ring (purshased at Pep-boys Auto Parts) 41mm # R-29, or 44mm I/D # R-30,(I had purshased the large 419 piece metric kit for other uses and happened to find these sizes included.)

03 KTM 450 sx, 03 KTM 250 exc w/351cc Kit (sons), 04 KTM 525 exc w/ Ca. plate, 06 KTM 250 sxf (sons), 06 KTM 450 sx

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, ohhh and the frame guard melted off because of the pipe being to close to it. RaceMX84, I have tried a zip-ty and it has melted off.....o well....

If it's melting because of the heat from your pipe, wouldnt that mean it is on the right (brake) side, not the left (shift) side? Unless you have a special 250....I'm jealous ?

First gas cap never leaked.

Took it into get service and my dealer swapped it for a new one and it was and gas poured through it.

New cap from another dealer and they pointed out that the seal ring is wider.

I compared and it is almost 25 % wider than the origian leaky one.

Cap 3 works for me.