Goodbye PMI (Pueblo)

OK for all those that were apathetic about the Roadless Rule Initiative maybe this will stir you blood:

PMI the beginning of the end?

The City of Pueblo released a Request for Proposals about a week ago for master planning of the 2,300 + acre Honor Farm Property, which we know as PMI.

According to city staff, the planning and decision-making process will likely play out over the next 12 months and it will include opportunities for public "stakeholder" input.

No doubt, the planning effort will force decisions by Pueblo city council on uses for the land, which could mean major changes to permitted uses and a big threat for motorsports users.

Some possibilities for uses of parts of the PMI land mentioned by staff include a major road and a High School sports stadium.

Looks like the time has come for the off-road community to get organized.

Neduro has volunteered to be a point of contact for Adventure Rider involvement. There will also be many other organized channels for input to the planning process including COHVCO, which I suspect will play an active role in representing the off-roader's interests.

Here is an excerpt from the City of Pueblo's RFP.......

BACKGROUND

The City of Pueblo is seeking proposals from qualified firms to complete the Honor Farm Park and Open Space Master Plan Project (hereafter called Master Plan) according to the Scope of Services outlined below for the City of Pueblo. The City of Pueblo’s Honor Farm property contains 2,373 acres and is situated in unincorporated Pueblo County and located west of Pueblo Boulevard (SH 45) and south of US Highway 50 West (see attached Exhibit A - Property Map).

The Honor Farm parcels were acquired in 2001 by the City of Pueblo, and as part of the land acquisition the City of Pueblo granted a conservation easement to Colorado State Parks that allows for park, recreation, and open space areas, but prohibits future commercial and residential development of the property. The property is being planned to be the future location of a regional park and act as an open space separator between the City of Pueblo and the Pueblo West Metropolitan District. In addition the property will serve as a buffer between Lake Pueblo State Park (26 sq. miles) and the developed areas in the City (44 sq. miles) and the Pueblo West Metropolitan District (57 sq. miles).

There are approximately 580 acres of privately owned in-holdings located within and along the boundaries of the property that will need to be analyzed to determine if these properties should be purchased, traded for portions of the Honor Farm property, or could continue to remain as privately owned properties without negatively impacting the future use and management of the City property.

The City maintains two recreational leases on the property: the Pueblo Motorsports Inc. and the Sky Corral R/C Club. The Pueblo Motorsports Inc. includes the operation of a recreational motorsports park on approximately 900 acres. It includes a paved drag strip, road course oval, figure-8 tracks, motorcross park and associated raceway facilities. A series of undedicated and unimproved roads and trails extend outside of the permitted area for the motor sports park. These roads and trails are used by the public without permit or authorization as a motorized recreational area that traverses most of the property. While the property contains an important short-grass prairie ecosystem, the sheer number of these trails and roads are continuing to impact the property. The Sky Corral R/C Club includes the operation of a radio controlled model airplane facility on approximately 10 acres.

The City also leases 20-acres of the property for a power transmission substation that includes several overhead transmission lines that crisscross the property. The property includes an easement for the Fountain Valley Pipeline, an underground water pipeline that provides water from Pueblo Reservoir through the Honor Farm property to the City of Fountain, Colorado.

The conservation easement allows for the right to construct a maximum of two paved roads across the property as may be necessary or desirable to gain access from Pueblo West Metropolitan District to Pueblo Boulevard. The master plan will identify the future locations of these roadways in coordination with the other land uses and facilities that will be master planned for the property.

The property was owned by the State of Colorado and originally operated as a working farm and ranch with a cattle, hogs, and a dairy, as well as producing vegetables to feed the occupants of the State Mental Health Institute located in Pueblo. In the late 1960’s the State of Colorado changed the focus of the State Mental Health Institution that resulted in the closure of the agricultural operations on the State Honor Farm property. For 27 years prior to the City’s acquisition, the City of Pueblo leased the property, along with an additional 1,600 acres of the southern Honor Farm from the State of Colorado. During the term of the lease the property was used for a motor sports park, motorized and non-motorized recreational trail activities, and as open space.

The master plan will identify and analyze the following issues:

• The provisions and requirements of the existing Conservation Easement granted to the State of Colorado by the City of Pueblo, as well as the Management Plan approved by Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) as part of the grant contract for the acquisition of the property by the City of Pueblo in 2001.

• Active recreation - What areas of the property shall be utilized for future “ACTIVE” recreation? What types of active recreation should be proposed?

• Open space - Analysis of conservation values and what areas of the property should be protected as open space?

• Existing leases/utility easements – (i.e., PMI, Aquila, Sky Corral, pipelines).

• Southern Delivery System Alignment – Colorado Springs Utilities proposed water pipeline project proposes an underground pipeline crossing the property.

• Motorized off-road vehicles – How to manage, limit or control the off-road vehicles that are using the property?

• Transportation – Layout and alignment of two roadways as may be necessary or desirable to gain access from Pueblo West Metropolitan District to Pueblo Boulevard.

• Impacts to surrounding land uses – How will the existing and proposed uses impact the surrounding neighborhoods (West side area and Pueblo West) and Lake Pueblo State Park)?

• Over-head transmission lines – Impacts and considerations for future developed park areas and protection of open space areas.

• Funding and management of the property.

A link to the Pueblo Purchasing Department web page where you can find the RFP documents is here:

HONOR FARM PLANNING RFP

Dan, thanks for the heads-up. While Pueblo isn't my favorite place to ride, I'll do my part to preserve/improve it as a riding area... it's a great beginner area and really has no replacement in that capacity.

BTW, think the multitude of responses answers your mobilization question? :thumbsup:

Some of us are just getting going this morning and seeing this for the first time. It would be a big deal for my family to lose PMI. It's not my favorite either, but it's one of the few off seasons options unless you like to ride tracks (not for me), and it's been a great place to teach my kids how to ride.

I'm very interested in trying to help out.

I shall be involved and hit some hippies on the head with a tofu dog.

This statement scares me: "These roads and trails are used by the public without permit or authorization as a motorized recreational area that traverses most of the property."

My interpretation is that they are saying we are using the property illegally and are going to do whatever they want with it. Please post what we can do to save this land for riding. I want to be involved. This is my favorite off season riding area. I an joining the COHVCO today.

PMI IS privately owned by the City ,and as far as I have been told for the years I have been riding here once you are off the maintianed facilities you are tresspassing. Unfortunatley I am not sure there is a whole lot to be done. I have sources in the local know and I will inquire. Soon.

Sad news but I've been expecting it for years. Both my kids have put in many miles riding there in the past, and I'll help out in this very worthy effort of providing public input or whatever.

PMI IS privately owned by the City ,and as far as I have been told for the years I have been riding here once you are off the maintianed facilities you are tresspassing. Unfortunatley I am not sure there is a whole lot to be done. I have sources in the local know and I will inquire. Soon.

FWIW, that's been my understanding as well... the multitude of cut fences should have been a clue. I just never felt "right" riding there even though I've done it a lot. I hope something can be done to keep it open but honestly, my expectations are low. An area that's been abused (despite Rex's best efforts!) for as long as the back area has been, I suspect it'll take a MAJOR change to break those habits. I'm not talking about abuse from the motorized community either, more specifically the partiers, shooters, dumpers and idiots...

FWIW, that's been my understanding as well... the multitude of cut fences should have been a clue. I just never felt "right" riding there even though I've done it a lot. I hope something can be done to keep it open but honestly, my expectations are low. An area that's been abused (despite Rex's best efforts!) for as long as the back area has been, I suspect it'll take a MAJOR change to break those habits. I'm not talking about abuse from the motorized community either, more specifically the partiers, shooters, dumpers and idiots...

I defintely agree. Most of the people who go down there to ride hate all the trash and crap that is all over the trails. Pueblo is defintely not my favorite place to ride, but it is one of the only options in the off season. Let me know what we can do to help, and i will do it.

With the amount of development going on down there, did anyone NOT see this coming? How much of the city land do you suppose the developers are going to get in return for building a park, school/stadium or some other public facility? That land is becoming valuable, anyone here believe the race tracks aren't in danger as well?

fortunatley the race tracks are still a good source of revenue for the town. A lot of this stuff like the roads and other develpment have been on the boards for quite some time.

fortunatley the race tracks are still a good source of revenue for the town. A lot of this stuff like the roads and other develpment have been on the boards for quite some time.

So is Bandimere for the town of Morrison. Ask John about the noise complaints from all the new homes in the area, even though Bandimere was there way before those homes. Hope you're correct though, I hate seeing strips close.

Ray B., I need to correct you on one thing. The race tracks do not generate any revenue for the city of Pueblo. PMI is managed by a board and we are a non-profit business. All of the revenues generated by the race events are put right back into the facilities.

Rex Harvey

I think he means gas, restaurants, motels,etc.

I know I use several businesses every time I go down there 2 or 3 times a month through the winter.

Any new information?

Refreshing the post since it's come up again in other sections!