Neck roll?

I just suffered my first big crash last weekend which was the last straw for me to go out and buy a neck roll. So I shelled ou the greenbacks for one the next day.

I was just flipping through some old moto mags and saw what I call a neck roll referred to a collar bone donut. This is of interest to me because I broke my collarbone in the crash (yep, no riding for me until at least April).

Though I doubt any device of man would have saved me in this impact, I was wondering if anyone could explain how a helmet donut could save your collarbone? I thought they just protected you from whiplash and over extending your neck.

I don't know the answer for sure but this is what I've been told. Some collar bone injuries are caused by the helmet impacting the bone but for the most part it is for neck protection by softening the blow by limiting the range of motion and giving some cushion. I only wear mine for motocross, it feels to cumbersome for riding in the tight trails. Another things that works good is to soak and then ice the collar down in between moto's. During the gheat of summer it helps to keep you cool during those hot moto's. Thats my .02

I'm not quite sure how exactly they work, but I do know that i need to get one soon. It's just easy extra insurance against injury. I was thinking about the PCS neck brace. Heard they're pretty good.

My shoulder lead the impact on the ground when I endo'd so it wouldn't have helped me I don't think, but I kinda see what you are saying dirtflea if your head is whiped to the side in a crash

I just got the EVS RC2, since I've heard the EVS is THE moto safety equipment authority.

Dad broke his collar bone due to his helmet, head got pushed to the side and put all the pressure right on the collar bone from the helmet. The neck roll would have most likely kept that from happening, so he now wears a neck roll.

I broke my collar bone year before last, the neck roll would not have helped. I got cross rutted off a double, whipped around, and lawn darted into the next jump after a serious high side. I don't remeber any of it, but that is what the witnesses said. It's kinda cool not to remember, I don't have the crash monkey on my back when I go over those jumps.

i landed on the back of my head so the beak of my helmet came forward and karate chopped my collar bone in 2. a neck roll would have saved me from that.

i just got a 661 neck roll last week, i dont think that i have even noticed it on the track(i was expecting it to be uncomfortable) and you can feel when you put it on how it would be beneficial!!! highly recommend

I bought the EVS RC2 and I like it a lot. I am a trail rider so I do not have any complaints about it being cumbersome during riding. The only time I find it a pain is when you stop the bike and you need to look down at something like a map or a part on your bike. Since the RC2 is not connected to a chest protector I just take it off and hang it on my handlebars while stopped. I am more worried about a neck injury than a collarbone break. Breaks heal, broken necks can lead to paralysis. :thumbsup:

after watching James Marshall's crash in person I went and got a neck roll.

I had been "thinking" about it for awhile, see that in person made up my mind.

I am not sure it would have made a huge difference in his crash, but it sure could not have hurt.

after watching James Marshall's crash in person I went and got a neck roll.

I had been "thinking" about it for awhile, see that in person made up my mind.

I am not sure it would have made a huge difference in his crash, but it sure could not have hurt.

That my friend was a brutal crash. :thumbsup: Hope he gets better.

I had been avoiding buying one too b/c we all know how fast this sport will eat $40 and I was trying to draw the line somewhere. As soon as the parmetics told me my neck rolled waaaaay back, I decided to go buy one.

They should be worn as religiously as helmet and boots

EVS has a new one out called the rc3. I just ordered one along with a Ballistic body suit. The rc3 has brackets that mount to the chest protector and is made to get in and out of easier. I should be getting them Thursday. The more protection the better.

I'm not quite sure how exactly they work, but I do know that i need to get one soon. It's just easy extra insurance against injury. I was thinking about the PCS neck brace. Heard they're pretty good.

I got one and i always wear it, and I have gotten used to it pretty well, and feel wierd if i forget to put it on. The extra protection is always worth it. I have an EVS neck nut and i like it alot. You have to get used to limited head movement, but you will.

Ever notice that none of the big pros where them, or hardly anyone on that level? I wonder why?

EVS has a new one out called the rc3. I just ordered one along with a Ballistic body suit. The rc3 has brackets that mount to the chest protector and is made to get in and out of easier. I should be getting them Thursday. The more protection the better.

U sure you meant to say RC3 and not RC2?? i looked on the evs website and they dont mention anything about it?

For sure the pros aren't setting a good example. I think Millasaps is the only one rockin the newck roll.

The neck roll saved my neck.

I was heading down a trail at a pretty good clip when I front wheel slipped in some mud and I hit a tree head on with the top of my helmet. I could feel the neck roll stop the lateral rotation (up and down motion) of my neck. Had it not been there the rotation could of been about 20mm more, which could of meant breakage. I ended up with a minor headache for a couple a days, and a little stiffnes in my neck.

A little discomfort is better than a lot of pain, or paralysis.

Yes, I ment the RC3, its new for 2006. It is in their catalog only. looks real nice. I should be getting mine today from FedEx. :thumbsup:

be looking for a neck brace from parts unlimited.i got a look at it in atlanta,a man from thor parts unlimited showed it to me,it is carbon fiber and is modeled from the hanns device that nascar is using.it will be much more than collarbone protection.very lightweight and not a whole lot bigger than a normal neck roll.there are some high profile riders testing it .