Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

my kids need a bike. Any recommendation?

I got my Drz400s. Now my girls want a bike to ride with me. What do you guys/gals think I should get for my kids?

The oldest is 15 and about 125lb. I am open to all options. The bike does not have to be a suzuki.

Thanks to all that reply.

formosahenry

The DRZ110 is a great bike. I've got one for my kids and have really enjoyed it. It is auto clutch and has a ton of power, no to mention a boat load of upgrades on the market. You might also look at the new line of yamaha bikes...they are kid oriented, and everyone of them has electric start which is worth its weight in gold so you don't have to keep getting off your bike to start your kids bike :thumbsup:... Andrew

look at ttr 125 it comes in two wheel size my wife started on the L model the easy button makes it more enjoyable

You might want to sit your 15 year old on a CRF230. If she can touch the ground from that bike, it's worth considering. I'm surprised at how well and how fast some women ride that bike. It's very tame from the factory. But it can be uncorked for $8 in jets to really boost its power when the time is right.

I got my Drz400s. Now my girls want a bike to ride with me. What do you guys/gals think I should get for my kids?

The oldest is 15 and about 125lb. I am open to all options. The bike does not have to be a suzuki.

Thanks to all that reply.

formosahenry

UUUUUUMMMMMMmmmmmmm...... Can I be one of your kids? :thumbsup: Is there an opening? :thumbsup:

:bonk:

XR 100 and I just happen to have one for sale. Seriously though I'd reccomend an XR100 not mine since I'm in the US but that is what I'd reccomend although it might be small for the 15 year old. This is assuming they don't know how to ride. Plus it has a clutch which is a great thing to teach them early atleast I think so.

Hi Henry, I'd have to agree with the last post, the XR100 is a good place to start as it will fit most kids depending on their size and has good power, or go to the XR125 for a little more height and power. They should last for a while till they get more confident and want a bigger bike. I'd stay with the four strokes they are easier with smooth low end power.

I'm in the same boat, but my kids are 7 and 9 so I'm looking too!

P.S. Thanks, I love the bike! Hope to see you in the woods!

Lloyd

Quick get the branding iron. Get you 125 pound kid a Kawasaki 200 KDX. You bet your butt I know it's a 2 stroke. It's also one of the best damn trail bikes ever made. Just don't get her all the fancy motor stuff right away or you may be getting roosted by your kid. Sorry guys honesty runs deep. pdawg :thumbsup:

Now the reason for the KDX 200. Lay any of the above mentioned bikes on the ground and see if your daughter can pick it up. Trust me I've been riding 43 years. You will get split up at times. She will wreck and she will be in deep sorrow if it's on her and she can't get it off. That little 2 stroke is lighter than most bikes. It's easy to fix, she can throw it almost off a cliff and it somehow survives. I've been on Colorado 500's and seen excutives and their families outfited from top to bottom with just this bike. None are completely safe, she will have to learn and part of it is wrecking. Get which ever bike is lightest. pdawg :thumbsup:

I have a slightly altered KDX 220 and I agree that it is a great trail bike, but not for beginners. Mine will hang with a lot of 250 2 strokes, it is a fast bike. My 12 year old neighbor (who races 85s) cant reach the ground while sitting on it, nor can he lift it off the ground. The KDX 200 shares the frame and suspension with the 220, same bike with larger bore.

Go for the KLX/DRZ 110. Great bomb proof starter bike with an engine that will take abuse. Plus you can make it into an adult pitt bike when the kids are done with it. I weigh 235 and ride a modified DRZ 110. Large jumps etc.

Isn't the 110 a little small for a 15 year old? I'd look towards the drz 125L. She can ride it for a few years, not a few months, before she will want more. :excuseme:I know people mod the 110, I have a 50 but with no mods the 125l seems like a better option to me.

you don't have to keep getting off your bike to start your kids bike :thumbsup:... Andrew

Hillbilly house rule #1:

If you can't kick start it, you can't ride it! :bonk::bonk:

Seriosly, I started my kids out on a pw50 (age 5-6), then a xr70 (age7-8) and then a Ktm sx65 ( Serious POWER, scares the s##t out of them at first)

I'd recommend any honda four stroke that fits them for height. When they complain about no power, Then they are ready for a 2-smoke. :thumbsup: