2004 top end life????

Anybody know how many hours before you replace the topp end in this bike?My bike has about 100 hours on it :thumbsup: and i need to know if thats too much.

What type of piston do you guys prefer?

thanks.

I would go ahead and rebuild it. Also go with a Wiseco Pro Lite Piston

Well it is definately close to put a new top end in and I would recomend a Wiseco piston. :thumbsup:

what they said, and you can get a new one on ebay for cheap!

I have always did new rings after about 15-20 hours on my 2 stroke(99 kx125) and piston, ring, and piston bearing (wiseco) every 35-40 hours. I always felt doing this to save on the life of the motor. Also check your reeds and make sure they are not lifting or cracked.I have always used Boyesen power reeds.

oops Sorry guys the bike is a 2004 kx 250

thanx for the input everyone

If it has never been done, do it now. Don't forget new wrist pin bearing. I've also had good luck with Weisco. For 30 bucks more, now is a good time to change the reeds also (cheap insurance and the stock ones will quit sooner or later). After you do the top end, buy a compression Gage (less than 20 bucks). Test the new top end right after break in. Just screw the Gage in, hold full throttle and kick until the Gage doesn't climb any more.

Now you know what compression should be with new reeds and all. Check it every now and then. When it starts dropping, you know it's time for a new top end again.

It also feels good, when you are planning to drive several hours for weekend ride, to be able to check and know exactly how the top end is before your trip.

If the original reeds are OK, you can keep them in your tool box just in case.

This is another reason why I keep a 2-stroke even if just for a back-up bike. Maintenance is cheap and simple. They are easy to work on. Never had a major failure without some kind of warning first.

If it has never been done, do it now. Don't forget new wrist pin bearing. I've also had good luck with Weisco. For 30 bucks more, now is a good time to change the reeds also (cheap insurance and the stock ones will quit sooner or later). After you do the top end, buy a compression Gage (less than 20 bucks). Test the new top end right after break in. Just screw the Gage in, hold full throttle and kick until the Gage doesn't climb any more.

Now you know what compression should be with new reeds and all. Check it every now and then. When it starts dropping, you know it's time for a new top end again.

It also feels good, when you are planning to drive several hours for weekend ride, to be able to check and know exactly how the top end is before your trip.

If the original reeds are OK, you can keep them in your tool box just in case.

This is another reason why I keep a 2-stroke even if just for a back-up bike. Maintenance is cheap and simple. They are easy to work on. Never had a major failure without some kind of warning first.

Exactly why I bought a KX250 instead of a 250F. I wanted the rideability of a 4Stroke but I DON'T want the repair bills. I love my bike!