CRF450... True or false?

Has Honda really fixed the valve problems? If so, how...? :thumbsup:

HONDAS HAVE ALWAYS HAD THIS problem as soon as they started to try and outperform the YAMMIS. Which they never did and never will. Why buy an unreliable bike when you can get on any yammi and have confidence in what your riding?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

true but alot of people swear by honda...if u dont want valve problems there are a few choices.

1. dont bounce off the rev limiter.(with a 450 i dont think many people will.)

2. the stainless steel valves are suppose to last longer than titanium because once the finish wears off on the titanium valves they are shot.

3. just buy a yamaha..very reliable and powerful..may not handle as well as the honda but have suspension and bars or wut not to make it handle well

just my 2 cents

only time will tell

just fyi,the rev limiter theory isnt really true.

i see way more valve troubles from guys that play or trail ride than fast mx'ers.even the sm bikes that get run at the limiter their entire existence dont have as much trouble.

no burned---u just didnt say that :thumbsup: ---im a woods rider

I don't think getting a Yamaha is a fix. I haven't herd many good thing about the Yamaha's valves lately. I am working on another Yamaha transmission.

Personally I think the problem is fixed. :thumbsup:

never a prob yet on bone stock origanal 03 w/less than 100 hrs---had it since late 02 :thumbsup:

with my expirience, 250F or 450F, they only go bad when you don't maintain your bikes well, i'm on my 5th crf, 4 R's and an X, and valves were only an issue on my 04 when i was still new to the four stroke game. :thumbsup:

i see way more valve troubles from guys that play or trail ride than fast mx'ers.even the sm bikes that get run at the limiter their entire existence dont have as much trouble.

This is the same thing that Lucky Nichols (aka team manager of Team Bookoo and David Vuillemin) told me two years ago about CRF valves.

I have yet to have any valve problems with my supermoto. I run it at the local road racing track and it's on the limiter all day and still no problems.

Now the transmission on the other hand....

Dirt Dirt Dirt. I believe that dirt causes the valves to wear out not the rev limiter theory. I believe that trail riders don't have the watered down tracks like mxers do. I have been blessed and have been able to buy a trail bike and an mxer for myself and my oldest mxer. I have CRF450 and CRF250 no valve problems and they never go in the sand or the desert. We have DRZ 400 and 125 for play riding in those situations. Keeps the dirt out of the motor and the valves last forever. My friend has had 2 CRF450s and is an avid desert racer. He has a lot of trouble. The problem with Yamahas up till this year is they were 4 speeds. which don't do well in the desert.

Dirt Dirt Dirt. I believe that dirt causes the valves to wear out not the rev limiter theory. I believe that trail riders don't have the watered down tracks like mxers do. I have been blessed and have been able to buy a trail bike and an mxer for myself and my oldest mxer. I have CRF450 and CRF250 no valve problems and they never go in the sand or the desert. We have DRZ 400 and 125 for play riding in those situations. Keeps the dirt out of the motor and the valves last forever. My friend has had 2 CRF450s and is an avid desert racer. He has a lot of trouble. The problem with Yamahas up till this year is they were 4 speeds. which don't do well in the desert.

Good point. I think you're OK in the desert/trails as long as you're not the guy riding behind someone else. If you're riding in someones dust, your bike is dieing.

i trail ride my honda, and i've got 150+ hours and i've never touched the vavles. i think its definately a maintainance thing.

so maybe honda needs to address there airbox then.

so maybe honda needs to address there airbox then.

im not soo sure it's the airbox... I'm not sure if you read about putting filters on the carb seems too me the carb vents are letting dust in when there not susposed too ..

You guys are nuts thinking dirt is an issue. You think that the dirt would only damage the valves and not touch the cylinder or piston? Dirt enough to ruin the valves, but not a spec gets to the cylinder or piston? Makes no sense.

I wash my airbox after each and every ride. I change filters religiously. I have never had dirt of any form in my airbox. But, at 50 hours, the intakes died.

Simply put, seats are HARD, valves are SOFTER, and after time, the coating goes away and the valves tighten up. Simple. Supposedly, Honda has softened the seats, so appearently they are not a problem. If you read some other posts you will also see that the machining in the heads causes too much tension on the valve, also.

Another stupid valve post. Can we get a forum just for valve posts?

James

Have an 03, bought late in 02 and have not had a single valve problem yet. I checked them once and they were all dead on. Dont know what all the fuss is about, change your oil often, keep a clean air filter on it and ride the hell out of it.

I ride in sand constantly. Pro-Seal. I love it. Not one scratch on the cylinder and the valves held up since new in Sept 04. You can't excpct them to last like the ones on your garden tractor :thumbsup:

I think it is a heat problem, anyone else think this? I ride my bike 80% track keeping it fast and keeping the air flowing through the rads. Not a budge on valves. The bike gets very hot if it is putted around, I can feel the heat pour off the rads. I don't often hear of people saying "I beat the piss out of it and my valves went bad", all I ever hear is "I change the oil all the time and replace the air filter constantly, never once hit the rev limiter, and my valves went to crap, Honda needs to fix this problem!"