2nd gear dramas...

Am I the only DR650 owner who has trouble with 2nd gear... ?

Almost without fail, when changing from 1st to 2nd, my bike will only 'half' go into 2nd.

If I don't hold pressure on the shift lever while I'm in 2nd, most of the time it'll fall right back out of 2nd into neutral or 1st.

As you can appreciate, you can look kinda stoopid when you're forever changing up and down the 'box just to get thing to stay in gear!

If anyone has had this problem and managed to fix it, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

I havent heard of any special problems with 2nd ion th DR650.

But it sounds like it could be the gear shifting drum.

Maybe you could refurnish/reapir it - I have howevere never done something like that...

/K

Lighten up :thumbsup:

On the oil that is... you running to 10-40 as suggested ?Maybe ugg too much?

I use sync and it is already superlight.....

But as far as poping out of gear,,, nope...hit it pritty hard this weekend keeping up with quad's on the woops... still NFP(no f* Problems)

I know this maybe a stupid question but...

Got space on the shifter and case? Maybe you ain't getting a good 'clack' when you need it? Nothin' more embarassing then,,

1St up-up up ;2nd Weeeeemmmmm

Wondering if your valves are going to go through your sack :thumbsup:

I see you joined in sept 2005 at thumpertalk, and I assume your bike is relatively new. How many miles are on the bike? Have you adjusted your clutch cable? It may be your clutch is out of adjustment. Especially if you have trouble finding nuetral or the shifter is spongy like getting first. I had to adjust my clutch cable several times in the first 1200 miles or so. Last 2000+ miles has required zero adjustment.

You can adjust to the specs in the book, but I found to adjust by feel and function. Make sure you have some free play in the cable, but the adjust the cable a little. Start with no free play at the clutch lever, then loosen the cable to get a small amount of free. check for shifting easily into first gear, first to nuetral, 2nd to nuetral, and first to second while at idle. Keep loosening cable til you get the clutch to where it is easy to do this.

I found what worked while the bike was cool, didn't function so well after the bike was rode for several miles. Once the plates wore a bit and the cable stretched I havent had any problems.

I also at 1500 miles switched to amsoil 10w-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil.

Hope this helps.

Greg

I had the embarrassing missed 2nd gear too, (always happens in town with lots of pedistrians around to get a free laugh), but after my clutch settled in I haven't.

I have had some 2nd gear issues. Never had it jump out of gear but when it is ridden hard and bike gets hot shifts appear to be rough/stiff and missed 2nd shifts happen on occasion. I have not considered it to be a major problem, just irritating. I recently changed to Rotella 5w-40w synthetic and it seems to be better but the weather has been fairly cool. Will see if it really helped when warm weather returns. Hope you figure yours out and would be interested in what you find.

Thanks for the tips guys...

Even though I joined only last year, my bike is a '01 with 20k kms, so I'm thinking that it's not a 'run-in' problem.

The clutch is adjusted to grab towards the middle of the lever stroke and has a fair amount of freeplay in it (the lever rattles).

I ride with another guy who has an '04 (I think) and he has the same problem. I thought it was just a DR650 thing...

At the next change, I might try a lighter weight oil than what I'm using now - 20W-50, and go full synthetic.

Only other solution as far as I can see is to back-cut the gear dogs, but that could be fiddly and/or costly.

If it fixes itself, I'll let you know

Cheers

Paul

You're not alone. Mine has doen the same thing from time to time since it was new in '96! Cycle Mag noted the same thing on their test bike.

If I shift sloppy when the bike is cold it may pop out of 2nd.

The synth oil may help cause when my bike warms up it's okay.

Been hat way since day one 10 yrs ago.

Am I the only DR650 owner who has trouble with 2nd gear... ?

Almost without fail, when changing from 1st to 2nd, my bike will only 'half' go into 2nd.

If I don't hold pressure on the shift lever while I'm in 2nd, most of the time it'll fall right back out of 2nd into neutral or 1st.

As you can appreciate, you can look kinda stoopid when you're forever changing up and down the 'box just to get thing to stay in gear!

If anyone has had this problem and managed to fix it, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

The problem was solved by replacing the clutch basket. They wear prematurely especially for the wheelie prone. Slight notching and all hell gets loose, false neutrals, drops out of second gear you know.

Hi all,

Ive also had a few moments with 2nd gear,sometimes it wouldn't select it properly, i put it down to the gear lever being set too high on the sharf, i couldnt quite lift it fully when changing from 1st to 2nd (small feet. hehe), so i removed the gear lever and put it back on the shaft so it sat 1 notch lower bringing it closer to the top of my foot.

It's been fine eversince (touch wood)

i have a 91 dr 350 dirt model, mine jumps out of second when letting off the throttle or coasting...i just figured because i am probably the th 5th owner, and the thing had been beat...maybe it is a design flaw?