i want to go street legal

Im going legal

After talking with Targetdrone on Sunday I’m going to make the bike street legal here in Nevada. My big push is the great riding within a few miles of the house means I wont have to load up the truck, I can just roll out of bed and get riding..

Now that said I have looked on line at the Baja Designes kit and also seen 1st hand the and also the set up from Tricksport http://www.trickdualsport.com/ (thanks again Targetdrone) That I have to say looked pretty cool. So the 2 questions are…..

1/ What one is the better buy.. Baja or Trick Dual Sport .. or something else?

2/ Where is the best place to get whatever one is best? Know a good dealer or on line reseller? Oh and I also need my Scotts damper too so if someone know a good place to get that at the same time that would be great.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful.......if you convert you dirtbike to a street legal bike you can only do it once in a lifetime !!!

New EPA laws as of 1/06 say that you are only allowed 1 "custom" motorcycle per lifetime that is non EPA compliant. By you turning the bike road legal you will need to get it inspected for a registration which will use up your 1 per lifetime.

Any bike from 06' on has to be EPA compliant. Pre 06' bikes are grandfathered in and the rule doesnt apply.

THese rules only concern STREET legal bikes......you may get away with it for a while because the local government is a few months behind on the ruling but eventually they will catch up to you via DMV and youll be screwed.

If you want more info I would be happy to give you a link.

Be careful.......if you convert you dirtbike to a street legal bike you can only do it once in a lifetime !!!

New EPA laws as of 1/06 say that you are only allowed 1 "custom" motorcycle per lifetime that is non EPA compliant. By you turning the bike road legal you will need to get it inspected for a registration which will use up your 1 per lifetime.

Any bike from 06' on has to be EPA compliant. Pre 06' bikes are grandfathered in and the rule doesnt apply.

THese rules only concern STREET legal bikes......you may get away with it for a while because the local government is a few months behind on the ruling but eventually they will catch up to you via DMV and youll be screwed.

If you want more info I would be happy to give you a link.

I think you are confused about converting VS. making a custom bike. Do you have a reference?

I found the following excerpt here: http://www.mrf.org/pdf/EPA-AI-1.pdf

"EPA has allowed some exemptions that

allow you to build highway motorcycles

and ride them without having them tested.

Here are some excerpts from the EPA

release:

Kit Bikes: An individual is allowed to build

one motorcycle (kit bike) for personal use

without an EPA cert i ficate. The indiv i dual

is allowed only one exempt kit bike

per lifetime. Any other kit bikes that an

individual decides to make must meet the

emission standards and be cert i fied with

the EPA. The exempt kit bike may not be

sold until five years after assembly."

"The Clean Air Act of 1979 states that

owners cannot disable emission controls

or cause their motorcycle to exceed

emission standards. And though bikes

are not currently tested, the Feds could

easily mandate testing in the future, just

as they do for cars."

Interesting read...

So ditching my smog pump, adding a clark tank, rejetting my carb and adding the IDS2 is all illegal? ??

I couldnt find anything about putting a dirtbike onto the road.

Thanks for the info but I’m still going to do it. If I’m only allowed one in a life time then this is the lifetime now, and this is the bike. There is just too much great riding to be done for me personally to sit an wonder if I should wait years to see if there is another bike that I want to be street legal or not. So again thanks for the info but I’m full steam ahead. So back to my questions… Baja designs, Trick dual sport (which is where Im leaning) or perhaps the E-line kit although I could only seem to find them for the KTM? Does someone have a link to a Honda version?

Thanks

Dave

That link doesn't work for me.

I still have a problem with the fact that custom choppers are built all the time. I'm thinking of companies like Orange County Choppers, as shown on the discovery channel. They don't smog those bikes. If they can do is, we can too. In California, it's called a special construction, and I think that a company can do 90 per year.

Thanks for the info but I’m still going to do it. If I’m only allowed one in a life time then this is the lifetime now, and this is the bike. There is just too much great riding to be done for me personally to sit an wonder if I should wait years to see if there is another bike that I want to be street legal or not. So again thanks for the info but I’m full steam ahead. So back to my questions… Baja designs, Trick dual sport (which is where Im leaning) or perhaps the E-line kit although I could only seem to find them for the KTM? Does someone have a link to a Honda version?

Thanks

Dave

I'd do it too! I was just bored at work and that gave me something to search for.

I like the looks of the trick dual sport kits, but i have no experience with them. I helped a friend with a baja designs one, it seemed ok, but i was a bit leary of the durability of the taillight, it seemed a bit weak to me. But it is holding up so far.

I'm not sure the posted info about the EPA and the special constructions applies here. Doesn't a special construction involve issuing a NEW vin number? Converted dual sports don't get new vin numbers and they don't say special construction on the title. Assuming the EPA info is accurate, I think we're clear.

Personally, all this EPA mumbo jumbo looks suspiciously like another way to backdoor add another government tax… errr... I mean "fee" to getting a plate.

It isn’t legal to do this to your bike... BUT! We have good news! For just a mere little fee we will give you extra special one time only permission to have all the things that you want to do…

And well, you improved your ride So…

*That’ll be another $47.50 for that there plate*

*per year*

*per tire*

I licensed my XR650R in Phoenix Az. Originally came with ATC title now has a MC title. I had to go through emissions but no inspection. They only asked if I put all the street legal things on. I didn't use a baja kit. I used a red led for a tail light used the original tail light for a brake light with a preasure switch. I put a white led under the back finder with my license plate like the crouch rockets do. Added a horn and mirror. Spent about 80 dollars total. I don't know what Nevada is like but Az is easy. That rulling applies if your are building a complete bike from the ground up. Otherwise no VIN to begin with. I have a couple of friends who have did that with SS motors. We have to license our quads and dirt bikes if we want to use them on the 1000's of miles of forest roads we have in arizona. I know people with 4 or 5 apiece.

your right, choppers are built all the time......as of 06' builders can apply for a limited manufacturing liscense allowing them to build 24 custom motorcycles per year.

Places like OCC and WEST COAST bulid and issue VIn#'s, they have a full manf. liscense. They sell to an individual who then registers the bike....ifts its epa compliant, no problem....if not , its counted as their one in a lifetime bike.

Building, converting, it doesnt make a difference. You are taking something that isnt street legal and trying to make it street legal, therfore you are "customizing' the bike. Registering it as an 06'....even thiugh it may be an 05', once you modify it, the year you register it is what counts.

If it were a street legal 05' you wouldnt need to worry......all pre 06' bikes are "Grandfathered in".

Remember "kit" bike refers to any bike that is modified or assembled by you !!!

heres plenty to read.

http://www.mrf.org/pp-epa-for-the-layman.php

All I can say is that ? sucks!!!

Some more research at the MRF site indicated some pretty bad things. For example, anyone who modified in any way a XR650L, could be guilty of a felony and/or fined up to $10,000 per day. We are talking minor mods like a non-Honda air filter, removing the air box snorkle, a pipe, or removing any of the smog stuff. I think that would include just about 99% of everyone on Thumpertalk who has a from the mfg dual sport bike.

From reading that link one can own as many of those custom bikes that you can afford. You just are limited in riding it to shows/displays. I'll tell you one thing though, after watching OCC put bikes together, I wouldn't use one as a daily driver. I think that you would be lucky to get it to a show without it falling apart. This will really kill those custom chopper guys. There is no way they can afford to send a bike through full EPA testing.

Cleanord....you said it perfectly !!! NO MODS WHATSOEVER are legal to the muffler/intake/carb etc.....on street legal bikes.

I build custom motorcycles as a hobby.....Ive done 3, and the 3rd is ready to be inspected and registered, my one and only lifetime custom, that sucks.

I too have thought about "legalizing" my 600r but once I talked to the title bureau, I changed my mind.

This will take some time for all ststes to be online with the new regs, but its as easy as a DMV records search as to who registered what, in which year.

They are even talking about issuing matching vin #'s for exhaust systems for street legal bikes......get pulled over with an "Aftermarket" exhaust and pay big fines....$500 first offense....this is supposed to happen in 07'-08'.

1/ What one is the better buy.. Baja or Trick Dual Sport .. or something else?

2/ Where is the best place to get whatever one is best? Know a good dealer or on line reseller?

It depends on how street lgal you want to be.

If you are going to buy a kit and really want the battery, horn, big headlight, etc, simply buy the Baja Designs kit directly from Baja Designs. Do not waste your money on the Trick Kit. I recommend the EZ mount kit. It actually takes a bit longer to mount than the older "standard kit" but the kit is simpler and has better connectors.

Personally, if you are just looking to be street legal to the trail, I would just equip the bike with turn signals and a brake light for about $120.