Sign in to follow this  

Turbochargers

I'm not considering doing this but wouldnt it be cool to put a turbo on a 250F. has anyone seen this done? I know you would have to put in a beefy rod and bottom end, but it would probly be lighter and have WAY more torque than stock. it would be lighter because if i'm thinking right a turbo eliminates the need for a muffler. Just imagine it light, nimble, and one massive power hit. it wouldnt be that hard to fit in either, theres lots of room on the right side where the exhaust is, in fact it could go where the muffler is. Who thinks it would explode?, Who thinks it would be a ripper?

Its just one of those crazy ideas thats been on my mind.

Can i get some replies to what people think

Turbo lag is generally from large turbo's on small engine but these days with ball bearing turbo's lag is a thing of the past. I have seen bigger dirt bike engines turbo charged that worked well with a small turbo. Lubrication is a problem though. Heres a pic of a honda 400 quad same motor as the XR400 that gave 40% more power!

Side_View_400_ex_turbo.jpg

hahahaha a boosted 250F, that would be insane. The Roost would just skyrocket. Turbo lag wouldn't be much of a problem, because I couldn't see the need for a BT set up.

I can't wait for the day I see this as a members signature...

2003 YZ250F 6psi@85whp

Whats a pulse charger??

A turbo 250 would probly feel like a 450, but it would be light. it might even have more torque, I thought of this cause you could probly find a torbo for under a grand, and comparing the price and performance to aftermarket exhaust, youd get mor bang for the buck, the only problem i could see if keepin it cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i have seen a turbo on a banshee but not on a dirtbike yet that would be sick.

hmmmmmm i wonder if one will fit on my 426 :thumbsup:

hahahaha a boosted 250F, that would be insane. The Roost would just skyrocket. Turbo lag wouldn't be much of a problem, because I couldn't see the need for a BT set up.

I can't wait for the day I see this as a members signature...

2003 YZ250F 6psi@85whp

The accepted standard for boosted horsepower increase is roughly doubling atmospheric pressure doubles power, so 6 psi would yield about 47 HP. Any more boost than 5-6 psi would require an intercooler, compressed air gets really hot above those levels, leading to engine-destroying detonation. That's when you need a blow through system. With intercooling, lowered compression using a forged piston, and a reprogrammed ignition, the engine would probably last a while at the over 50 HP level, if the rpm was kept significantly below stock levels. I doubt the trans would, though.

turbos are smaller and give you more power (torque), plus it would be lighter and you wouldn't need to run a muffler, (mabe a small, 2-stroke size silencer), plus the obvious fact that it is simple, (where would you get gear drive from without modding the cases

BRRRAAAP

What about a clutch driven supercharger?

How incredibly badass would it be to have that supercharger gear whine when you are sitting at the starting gate.

i dont actually know how a pulse charger works but i saw an ad in dirt rider for april 2006 , the exhaust is shaped like a circle, the ad has no website listed but the entire system costs about 550 dollars

i dont care if i ride a honda, if they came out with a turbo set up on a yzf, i would buy that thing.. that would be so nuts

years back I remember reading in MXA about this inventor who combined a 2 stroke case with a 4 stoke valve/head. What he was trying to accomplish was during the 4 cycle engine event to harness all the pressure created beneath piston on the down stroke, sending those pressures into a valved canister and when the intake opens in the head releasing the pressure from the canister into the intake tract.

It was a cool concept but I've not heard about it since.

What about a clutch driven supercharger?
turbos are smaller and give you more power (torque), plus it would be lighter and you wouldn't need to run a muffler, ... plus the obvious fact that it is simple, (where would you get gear drive from without modding the cases
Apart from the fact that the exhaust for a turbo would be much more easily fabricated than a mechanical drive for a supercharger, there is nothing simple about either system.

Turbos come out ahead in efficiency. The whole idea of setting gasoline on fire in the first place is to get the heat out of it. We then waste about a third of this energy to heat up the cooling system, and simply throw another third away down the exhaust pipe. Turbos recover about two thirds of this wasted third and turn into the driving force for the turbocharger. What's almost uncanny about it is the "spooling" effect; the turbo increases the volume of the intake charge, which increases the volume of the exhaust, which increases the speed of the turbo, which increases the volume of the intake charge.... You see where this is going? It feeds on itself to a very large degree.

Mechanical blowers have no "lag" as even the best turbo systems do to some extent, and they don't limit your choices in cam design as much. Both systems are bulky, and both present a number of problems in handling the fuel system, boost limitation, heat, etc. Altogether, it's something that is cool on a road bike, but hardly practical in the dirt.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/c4tech/index.html

Download the animation. It's a very weird concept.

Oh ya.... YS has been doing that on model airplane thumpers for nearly 10 years now. They call it "Air Chamber". It's not exactly the same, but very similar.

They put a rotating valve on the engine backplate. The upstroke of the piston draws air/fuel in from the carb, the rotary valve closes, the downstroke then pressurizes a chamber mounted to the back of the cylinder, and again, the rotary valve closes. The intake valve opens, allowing the pressurized charge to enter.

http://www.ysperformance.com/html/110fz.htm

http://www.ysperformance.com/pdf%20manuals/FZ110.pdf