Front Sprocket Shaft Leaking Oil

Hey KTM rider's i have owned my 05 450 mxc a few month's. Bought used so no warr.I have a few drop's of oil comeing from my front sprocket shaft.I removed it since im changing the gearing i removed the collar that slide's over the shaft and found abit of rust and show's some wear line's.Would it be best to replace seal and collar or do you think the seal is still good and just replace the collar.Has anyone else had this problem. thank's

The lip on the seal will be worn also, I would replace both. Its an easy job.

yep replace both and the o ring!! :thumbsup:

My counter shaft seal on my 2005 525 EXC started leaking after 500 miles :thumbsup: I since added 600 miles after the repair with no problems :thumbsup:

Thank's guy's picked up the part's today and replaced them all. Been sitting in garage and no leak's now problem solved

Mines been leaking for a while now (2001 sx) but it doesnt seem to be leaking much anymore... I still should replace those parts though.

Mines been leaking for a while now (2001 sx) but it doesnt seem to be leaking much anymore... I still should replace those parts though.

Or add more oil.... :thumbsup:

Same problem here, although I had never had a problem, I lost the bolt that holds the front sprocket on (in the middle of no where) and have no idea how long it was gone before I dumped the bike and noticed oil spilling out.

Now even though I've replaced Bolt, washer, o-ring, seal and all associated parts I still have a leak....grrrr :thumbsup:

GET USED TO IT EVERY KTM I'VE OWNED HAS LEAKED FROM THERE THE OLDER MODELS JUST HAD AN O RING BEHIND THE COLLAR THEN THEY WENT AND PUT A SEAL THERE BUT ITS NOT ANY BETTER. i'M STARTING TO THING THEY DO IT FOR AN AUTO CHAIN LUBER. i GOT SICK OF CHANGING THEM I JUST KEEP IT ON THE STAND NOW!

Mine was leaking oil after a front sprocket change ,and I put an o ring between the sprocket and the bushing. It has not leaked a drop since.

How do you change the ring and seal on an 05 KTM 450EXC? Do you need special tools?

it weird readingthis thread as i seen this exact problem on my nearly brand new bike!

not more than 1 hour ago, loading it onto my ute!

i seen oil on the lower frame as i was puttin gthe quik release bash plate back on.. i just got a new tire yesterday and put it down to chain lube, but now ive looked again, the seal is f*^ked

Raven, did you change the front sprocket since new (i.e. went from a 14t to a 15t or 13t from a different mfr)? Some of the non-KTM sprockets are a little thinner and when installed don't compress the seal/o-ring enough.

I was told allways change the o ring when you change the sproket.

I go from a 13 for single track and a 14 for dual sport events.

Had a 520 15 years. Never leaked anywhere. Never replaced a seal.

as long as it is all clean and the washer is holding proper tension it should be OK for a sprocket change