Sign in to follow this  

Right foot pain

After a 20 year layoff from dirt riding (kids etc etc etc) I got back into it last August. Why did I wait 20 years??????? :thumbsup: Anyway, having just turned 50 (I don't look a day over 49..) I have the usual aches and pains, but actually I'm in pretty good shape. The last couple months I have noticed my right foot and ankle really hurt in the morning - then feels OK after 5 or so minutes. After last weeks tear-it-up fest, I realized the pain is the result of kick starting my 97 XR 250! It's easy to start, but mystery solved!

This happen to anyone else??? :thumbsup:

Time for a magic button bike.

IMHO...you can control from where you put the force on the kick if you get used to the habit of doing so...

i had simillar problems earlier...and i'm only 28 :thumbsup: i was kicking the damn thing wrongly...i tried 2 kick hard using my ankle but now i use my thigh muscles to do it and all's fine :bonk:

if you're into working out at the gym etc. you'll know what i'm talking about...

once you make a conscious effort to control the power delivery and train your body for that movement...you're body get's so used to it over time it becomes a habit :thumbsup:

good luck and keep kickin...don't force your ankle and forget about it....think about your thigh muscles and work them....

the day you can't kick start a 250 is not a very good day to be out offroading :bonk:

my 2 cents :bonk:

The above sounds like good advice. Maybe see if you can use your body weight to kick it and keep your ankle rigid, and sort of jump up and force your weight down on the kickstart. Hard to explain, but I think you get the idea.

lol, XR foot. Just wait 'till you dump it on a hot trail ride, you'll get some real kicking practice in. Maybe you're getting a touch of the old arthritis? Some people take anti inflammatories or analgesics before they ride. Just be glad you got a bike capable of a plush ride, there are plently of other places to get sore.

One thing to watch out for is dabbing (putting a foot down). You can jam your ankle but good with the right combination of obstacle and suspension movement. Whacking rocks with your feet at speed is not healthy either. It's a good reminder to keep your feet on the pegs whenever possible.

My guess is after some more saddle time the ankle thing goes away--unless it's actually injured.

Red_Snapper has a lot of good points...by the way RS...are you into fishing or something :thumbsup: RedSnapper was on my fishing book las time i checked but i've neer caught one myself :thumbsup:

getting back to the topic...majoty of my riding were done in regular boots...some of them are military issue boots and one is a harley boot...nothing close to the mx styled extra protected boot....

i know the specialize boots have a lot of advantages over the regulars but "personally" i have never felt a huge difference in terms of "kicking" :bonk:

but then again i'm still young and into working out etc and decent shape so may be still i can handle the normal boots :bonk:

heck i kick started xr 250 and XL's wearing beach sandals :bonk:

just my 2 cents...again :eek:

Mine started after a fall and my foot and ankle was injured and the kicking motion of the XR4 killed me. I asked for help more than once (my boy is 22 and is good at taking care of his old man. He hates waiting for me so that helps motivate him to start it for me.).

I had to rehab my ankle but the arthritis has set in and it's pain. I need to put my bike on the stand, kick it as hard as I can every time to avoid any extra kicks. I would love a happy button, but I don't want to give up my XR.

I am 52 and a little guy with 30 inch inseam.

Yeah I wear MX boots.

It's a bitch getting old - especially when mentally you think

you're still 25............... :thumbsup: Thank to all that replied :thumbsup:

Hey, I'm 50 :thumbsup: Mine bothers me some after several days of riding like on vacation last summer, but not to bad the rest of the time. I ride a lot around the house in Tennies, and thank goodness, my XR4 is jetted right and usually starts 1 or 2 kicks cold, and 1 hot. It's my calf muscle that gets me on long rides.

lol, XR foot. Just wait 'till you dump it on a hot trail ride, you'll get some real kicking practice in.

Yes, been there done that, and I can surely say it sucks immensly.

One thing I just realised I forgot to say above though: Use the decomp lever. I can get my XR400 started 1st kick cold wearing any old shoes using the decomp lever. dyrtmon - Do you use the decomp lever to start your 250?

I'm only 18 but when i want to just get my 96 xr250 started so it can warm up, i usually just stand on the right side of the bike and kick it with my left foot so i don't have to get on and off the bike. Its hard at first but after a couple tries its easy. If you could do this some of the time the pain might not be as bad after riding.

I'm only 18 but when i want to just get my 96 xr250 started so it can warm up, i usually just stand on the right side of the bike and kick it with my left foot so i don't have to get on and off the bike. Its hard at first but after a couple tries its easy. If you could do this some of the time the pain might not be as bad after riding.

This reminds me of a story;

A fellow goes to his doctor and says "Doc, I get this stabbing pain in my right eye every time I drink my morning cup of coffee".

The doctor, baffled, asks him to show him exactly what he does while drinking the coffee. "You dumb-ass. It's the spoon, move the friggin spoon!"

A day or two goes buy and the fellow comes back, "Doc, That worked great, but now I have this stabbing pain in my left eye when I drink my morning coffee"....

That worked great for the most part. The pain in the right foot seems to be subsiding. But now I seem to be developing this pain in my left foot....

I learned to kick thumpers on a BSA 441. I use the old 'kind of stand up and jump down' kicking procedure.

Atleast yours can be kickstarted right now. The guy i got my bike from modded the exhaust to basicly a strait pipe. (crome bit is there minus the SA) so the thing is so out of wack jetting wise it takes a long time for me to start. But last time it took both me and my dad running to bump it.

"I learned to kick thumpers on a BSA 441. I use the old 'kind of stand up and jump down' kicking procedure."

XR_rated, right on :thumbsup:

once i had a fall and hit my knee badly...even trying to keep the right foot on the "kicker" was a major pain....still got it started with minimum pain with the abover method :thumbsup:

straight leg and full "jump-down" motion on the kicker and she started right up :bonk:

but now i've perfected the "thigh kick" where i slightly bend the bike to the left and while moving the bike to the right i kick her down using my thigh muscles :bonk: i work out a lot on my legs in the gym plus it's the biggest muscle in the body and is the strongest :bonk: