Thinking of doing a Moab trip

My roommate and I are talking going the third week in March:

• How is the weather usually this time of year?
  • Which guides are the best (or does someone here want to show us around)?
  • Where is the best place to camp?
  • Or is it too cold in March to camp?
  • Anything other relevant info we should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, wrong state. Why did I still think this was the Southwest Forum :thumbsup:

But maybe someone can help anyway. :thumbsup:

MOAB!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek::lol:

Do you like rocks? Big rocks. Bolders. Broken rocks. Slickrock? :bonk::bonk::eek: We do, and we do Moab every year.

Mid april is perfect IMO and that's when we're going for a week. October is also supposed to be good. Summer is super hot. Dont' go the week before easter as that's the jeep jambouree and there's several thousand jeeps on the trails. Weather wise, Mid March can go either way. Rainy or perfect. Depends on the day. Be prepared.

Dale Perriot (sp?) Elite tours I think is the guy for Moab. Ruxton Noble is a killer guide. Go to ruxtonnoble.com and order access addiction. You will b e glad you did. I've also got a good DVD of helmetcam stuff in Moab.

If you've never ridden Moab/UT be prepared for a giant learning experience. Nothing in CA even touches the technical terrain that is standard for Moab. If you're not up for that, there are some scenic rides you can do as well.

Be prepared with tools, water, first aid, etc. Do not ride without a GPS and a good set of maps. DO NOT RIDE OFF THE TRAILS OR TURN AROUND WITH 180'S. The greenies like the black crusty stuff that grows on the ground and get really pissed when there's wheel marks going thru it. Beware of EXTREME drop offs that are often right off the trail - or in front of you when you miss the "trail" (black rubber marks or white lines on rock - easy to miss). Drops of 500-1200 feet are not uncommon and there have been fatalities. I know there's a spot where several jeeps have made the long and very final trip down.

The lattitude East/West maps are great (you need both) and available on line or at any bike shop in Moab. Moab is a must do, but be aware that it is not for the casual rider or timid rider. Have fun. If you go, you'll be doing it every year.

MOAB!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek: :thum

Do not ride without a GPS.

First time I rode thier GPS didn't exist. No point, just an old guy feeling old.

Thanks for the info Bill, I guess there was a reason why I posted this here too.

I'd rather go a little later too, but mid april conflicts with school.

I just wish the XR was running. :thumbsup:

MOAB!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek::lol:

Do you like rocks? Big rocks. Bolders. Broken rocks. Slickrock? :bonk::bonk::eek: We do, and we do Moab every year.

Mid april is perfect IMO and that's when we're going for a week. October is also supposed to be good. Summer is super hot. Dont' go the week before easter as that's the jeep jambouree and there's several thousand jeeps on the trails. Weather wise, Mid March can go either way. Rainy or perfect. Depends on the day. Be prepared.

Dale Perriot (sp?) Elite tours I think is the guy for Moab. Ruxton Noble is a killer guide. Go to ruxtonnoble.com and order access addiction. You will b e glad you did. I've also got a good DVD of helmetcam stuff in Moab.

If you've never ridden Moab/UT be prepared for a giant learning experience. Nothing in CA even touches the technical terrain that is standard for Moab. If you're not up for that, there are some scenic rides you can do as well.

Be prepared with tools, water, first aid, etc. Do not ride without a GPS and a good set of maps. DO NOT RIDE OFF THE TRAILS OR TURN AROUND WITH 180'S. The greenies like the black crusty stuff that grows on the ground and get really pissed when there's wheel marks going thru it. Beware of EXTREME drop offs that are often right off the trail - or in front of you when you miss the "trail" (black rubber marks or white lines on rock - easy to miss). Drops of 500-1200 feet are not uncommon and there have been fatalities. I know there's a spot where several jeeps have made the long and very final trip down.

The lattitude East/West maps are great (you need both) and available on line or at any bike shop in Moab. Moab is a must do, but be aware that it is not for the casual rider or timid rider. Have fun. If you go, you'll be doing it every year.

I nearly fell off the backside of Poison Spider Mesa on my mtn bike about 10 years ago. Closest to death I have come.

It is still pretty cold there this time of year, and there could be snow at higher elevations. April is about perfect (why no go on spring break???). We did it in July. Had to be on the trailhead at sun up, and done by 10am. WAYYYY to hot.

Spring Break starts the weekend of March 17 for us, hence the reason we're going then. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Got ahead of myself by a week. :thumbsup:

Spring Break starts the weekend of March 11 for us, hence the reason we're going then. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I didn't read your initial post that well apparently... :thumbsup:

That should actually be okay weather wise. A little cool, but snow should not be much of an issue.

We just wanted to make sure we weren't going to freeze to death if we camped out.

I would love to go hit it with ya up THAR but that is to soon for me .....I'm gonna try around the first of may.....I wanna see some pic's.....my friend.. :thumbsup:

Hey Woody, its been a while. After looking at the pricing for the guide service I told my roommate I need to look over the finances a bit (being a poor college student and all), but I'm thinking its just going to be too expensive right now. We're looking to go somewhere and ride, even if it isnt Moab. You know of any good spots out yonder?

We just wanted to make sure we weren't going to freeze to death if we camped out.

i was there last year in march and it was perfect. i'll be there this year on the weekends before and after your trip and it will be perfect too. it's only 'cool' in march if you live in san diego or something. normal people who live in normal places (i.e. places with snow on the ground) will usually find moab quite excellent in march. there is always the possibility of a freak storm or something, but generally all the trails are in great condition.

search for rodzilla's 'moab 101' post. it has all the info anyone would ever need.

btw, there is plenty of similarly technical terrain in california.

Hey Woody, its been a while. After looking at the pricing for the guide service I told my roommate I need to look over the finances a bit (being a poor college student and all), but I'm thinking its just going to be too expensive right now. We're looking to go somewhere and ride, even if it isnt Moab. You know of any good spots out yonder?

you don't need a guide. most of the popular rides are well-known and well-signed. get the latitude40 maps, read rodzilla's post, ride poison spider, gold spike, sovereign trails, kane creek/behind the rocks, etc... have fun.

Thats good to hear, maps and a decent GPS certainly will be cheaper than a guide service (that would be cool though).

Thats good to hear, maps and a decent GPS certainly will be cheaper than a guide service (that would be cool though).

you don't need a gps either, at least not until you really start exploring. you can do a ton of cool rides that only an idiot could get lost on. i carry a gps there mostly just for making my own maps.

Its a good excuse to buy one though. :thumbsup:

I was out there a couple years ago during that jeep week thing. Very crowded in town but once you head out not so much. Cool in the mornings, windbreaker over regular riding gear type stuff. If you've never ridden there before a guide is well worth it. It will save you a lot of time. From what I recall the only thing I would consider well marked was slickrock, the rest of it you could easily get lost. Get good maps, the GPS thing is alright, just make sure you know how to use it before you get there. In some places they don't work very well. Lots of tall rock features that block access to the satellites. Amazing place.

I've never had any trouble getting satelite reception for the GPS in moab. If you've never ridden Moab, or are going withgout a guide, the GPS is a definate plus. The maps and books show trail starts and finishes with GPS waypoints. That alone is worth the price of a GPS

velosapiens - exactly where in CA have you found rocky technical terrain matching Moab? I want to know! :bonk: I've found little bits and pieces that I use as a Moab tuneup, but nothing that compares even remotely to Moab. Please share......Oh, and a gps waypoint would be great. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was wondering the same thing.

But I think we're going to save Moab till next year. Simply due to expenses and time. I'm going to graduate this time next year, so I will have a bit more time to spend. We're probably going to hit up Az with DUSTEE instead (I havent told DUSTEE just yet though :thumbsup:)

velosapiens - exactly where in CA have you found rocky technical terrain matching Moab? I want to know! :bonk: I've found little bits and pieces that I use as a Moab tuneup, but nothing that compares even remotely to Moab. Please share......Oh, and a gps waypoint would be great. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mostly around tahoe, particularly the rubicon jeep trail. some stuff up high on hwy 50 too. and a bit of 'prairie city' in the northern sierra. lots of blocky granite.

-mark

mostly around tahoe, particularly the rubicon jeep trail. some stuff up high on hwy 50 too. and a bit of 'prairie city' in the northern sierra. lots of blocky granite.

-mark

Figures.....I don't get up that way often.