Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of doing a Moab trip

My roommate and I are talking about going the third week in March:

• How is the weather usually this time of year?
  • Which guides are the best (or does someone here want to show us around :thumbsup:)?
  • Where is the best place to camp?
  • Or is it too cold in March to camp?
  • Anything other relevant info we should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Weather can be anything from snow to 70 (I've had both there)

Big issue will be that it is spring break and you will have plenty of the "unwashed masses" to contend with. Mostly College kids.

Not a big deal but many of the Close in camping will be taken.

For a guide, none better than Dale at Elite. He is the guys for "off the beaten path" riding. But All of Moabs popular trails can be found easily using the Moab 101 write up and a set of Latitude40 maps

Thank you guys :thumbsup:

I've been hearing good things about Elite Tours, I'll check them out.

There is a group of us planning a Moab trip the first week of May, but the problem is that about half of the group are on MX bikes. How sticky are the local law officials about road worthyness on bikes. I am talking the MX guys into at least lights on the bikes. On a previous trip to moab we were on dual sported EXCs so riding to & from trails was not a problem, but I am concerned about managing without having somewhat street legal bikes. Most of the trails we rode required some road riding to get back to where we started from. So lights, sig lights, etc?? What would be the minimums required, or are there ways to make all loop trails?

Your bikes need to be a least registered. They're are two BLM cops that are out on trails a lot and will bust you for not having a bike registered or a spark arrester. If you are doing short little road sections that are off the main highway chances are you will be fine and a lot of the roads if you look close to the fence lines they're is usually an ATV road that you could ride on without much trouble. If you are riding from town to the trailhead, I think you are asking for trouble, and I would not recommend it. The two BLM cops can be jerks but most of the city cops and sheriffs are pretty cool for the most part, but they do have a job to do. A couple months ago a guy pulled out of a hotel on a MX bike and got hit by a car, he went through the windshield, crushed the hood and went to the hospital. It was the guys fault and he had no insurance, and the bike was not registered, so since then they have cracked down a bit on bikes on main roads. Headlights would be good, but I ride my bike all over and I do not have signals and have never been stopped.

If you ride any trails within National Park boundaries your bike needs to be street legal. If you are coming from Canada or any other area that doesn't participate in Utah's reciprocal agreement you will need to get a 30 day permit from the Maverick service station. Enjoy your stay and check out the Whites Wash and Green River areas to the northwest of Moab.

There is a group of us planning a Moab trip the first week of May, but the problem is that about half of the group are on MX bikes. How sticky are the local law officials about road worthyness on bikes. I am talking the MX guys into at least lights on the bikes. On a previous trip to moab we were on dual sported EXCs so riding to & from trails was not a problem, but I am concerned about managing without having somewhat street legal bikes. Most of the trails we rode required some road riding to get back to where we started from. So lights, sig lights, etc?? What would be the minimums required, or are there ways to make all loop trails?

Best info you are looking for is this website link:

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/New%20bu%20Folder/parks/ohvrule.htm

Thanks a bunch for the feed back. All our bikes are insured & registered, and we have working lights, and spark assesters. Ya-Hoo