Sign in to follow this  

CRF vs YZ (privateers choice)

Hi Guys,

New to thumpertalk...have a questions for you guys...

The new YZ450 ..has been winning most of the shootouts around ...however most of the privateers are still running CRF's ..

why is this ...? what are your thoughts.... ????:thumbsup:

IMHO...I think most people like red...like me. I raced Honda (as a member of their support team) for a number of years and I found it REALLY hard to buy my TTR. But Honda dropped the ball when they got rid of the XR's....so blue I went.

The new YZ is a Beautiful bike with no disadvantages. It is great for under 5'10" riders especially. YZ's are reliable and handle well.

The CRF has a great bike too with the basically same motor and suspension as the 2002. That is how good it is. All others have used the CRF as the gold standard The aftermarket has had years to work with this bike and tons of new and used parts are out. Quad guys have parted these things out left and right for years as it is the motor of choice. When it is time to sell the CRF will be way better as all parts will go quick since there are so many out there. Privateers like the CRF best because the parts are always readily available and everyone who ones one knows it inside out. I got an 06 and had an 03,04. They were not so different just a thinner frame and a few refinements. I know how to set it up, what to watch out for, how to keep it in top shape. It was a no brainier. I still want the other bikes just to have them and mess around with them. That yellow YZ is too cool, The KX looks like a pro circuit works bike stock, The smooth quick turning RM has looked great at local tracks and when a guy switches teams like Rhino or Dowd riding a stocker the adapt quickly. But they are unknowns to me. I do not know how to get them set up as many guys do not know either. I set up my forks after switching off with different CRF guys that had there stuff done from FC, Race Tech, RG3 ect. I ended up with the stock valving, lower oil and different IPS springs. Now if I am coming in hot I can sit in braking bumps and lean it in knowing it will go true. Even the rear shock doesn't do anything like buck or kick so my confidence is high as are my results. All bikes are great, the question is making it yours takes time. CRF time is way less.

I think Hondas are likr the Fords of this world, they are not particularly a great brand but they are common and you know what you are going to get. Parts are also going to be readily available as they are so common

The YZF450 only won the MXA shootout. Privateers still ride the Honda because it is a proven commodity and hop up parts are plentiful.

The CRF450R has been a great MX bike for the last few years.

People know how to fix them up.

Look how this bike brough Kevin Windham and McGrath back into racing. Both hung up racing, but came back after having lots of fun riding the CRF450.

Honda Support

There are the official teams, the satellite teams, and I'm sure there are privateers that get extra help from the various factories.

Contingency money

I am not sure how much money is paid out by the various contengency plans. Sometimes the decision to go Green, Yellow, Red, or Blue is based on how much money is paid out by the contingency programs.

Privateers go with the CRF because out of the box, it's the best 450 MX'r there is. It handles better than any other 450, and it's got better aftermarket parts support. That's the reason.

The YZ450 still has to prove itself, as it obtained a tarnished reputation due to a few factors. Having a 4 speed transmission didn't help things.

the yz is a great 450 since the new and improved model for 06. Personally I see quite a few fellas at the track ditching their older crf's for the new blue bomber.

the yz is a great 450 since the new and improved model for 06. Personally I see quite a few fellas at the track ditching their older crf's for the new blue bomber.

I agree, but the '05 and older 450's were pretty much crap. Most people that I ride with that owned them complained of too much power and not having enough "control". I've never ridden one so I don't really know; or care for that matter.

I must say I disagree somewhat. The older yz's were still good bikes but they can't hold a candle to the 06.

Thanks guys....i do agree with the point that the '05 yz 450 wasn't a good bike rode it and didn't enjoy it at all....got a 250 2-stroke...have just upgraded to '06 yz450 ...havent even ridden 1 yet...but hey cant wait....picking it up Saturday...

keep u guys informed...

Hi Guys,

New to thumpertalk...have a questions for you guys...

The new YZ450 ..has been winning most of the shootouts around ...however most of the privateers are still running CRF's ..

why is this ...? what are your thoughts.... ????:thumbsup:

All the shoot outs I've seen the CRF trumped the Yami and the KX is getting even better reviews.

I really like the YZF450...the CRF 450 looks like a good bike but its valve problems people have talked about scared me

I think Hondas are likr the Fords of this world, they are not particularly a great brand but they are common and you know what you are going to get.

Please no...hondas are a great brand as most of the other brands are. They produce a quality machine with the consumer in mind or at least that's there intention and FORD or any other american made car is way off that mark. People like hondas because as others have said they are great right when you get them and require little time to set them up to your desired condition.

The CRF Valve problem is greatly exaggerated. Most like myself have 50+ hours and no problem. Other try to re-engineer everything only to find 100K Jap engineers can't be wrong.

the real reason is simple: $$

Honday pays way more contingency than Yam, Kaw, Suz, etc

50k for a win in SX class vs Yamaha 10k - as an example.

The dollar rules. Believe that.

Honday pays way more contingency than Yam, Kaw, Suz, etc

50k for a win in SX class vs Yamaha 10k - as an example.

Get real..............what privateer is going to win a SX? To the best of my knowledge, it happened once by Ryan ? many years ago in a mud race. No one is going to buy a Honda for a 50K payoff if they win a SX. :thumbsup:

Get real..............what privateer is going to win a SX? To the best of my knowledge, it happened once by Ryan ? many years ago in a mud race. No one is going to buy a Honda for a 50K payoff if they win a SX. :thumbsup:

How bout you get real, and pull your head out of your backside while you're at it What I said was an example. Maybe you should go back to school and learn what that word means or something. I guess i thought people would have enough freaking common sense to know that I didn't imply that a privateer is going to win a supercross race, but to point out Honda's much higher payout. Let me spell it out for you a little bit so you aren't confused, ok? A 10th place finish on a honda is worth far more in contingency money than 10th on a Yamaha - I hope such concepts aren't a bit much for you to understand :thumbsup:

why dont you both get real ......who gives a shit what the reasoning is behind some privateers choice....not reason for a pissin match because you both have an opinion.....what a joke