How many adults on a KX100?

Okay guys. Here's a serious question. How many of you adults on here are riding a KX100? I love mine, but I'm starting to think I look like a circus clown riding one of those miniature bicycles. I've done a lot of mods to mine, and I think it is awesome, but I want to know if I'm the only person in the country that thinks this is a good trail bike for an adult.

Oh crap -- you just pointed out the obvious -- I AM riding a chick bike!!!! ?:bonk: Seriously though, I bet it would be perfect for someone that size.

It is a good size for a smaller rider.

She's riding a TTR125 with a 150 big-bore kit right now and is ready to go bigger. If it makes you feel any better she rides a Honda Shadow 750 on the street ?

So yes Titan it's time to step up a bit.

Try one of these if you want a great trail-only bike. Plenty of power, and easy on the wallet.

kdx220.jpg

Man, that is a really nice KDX. I am considering that, as well as an older XR, or maybe a 230 -- more than likely, though, I am leaning towards a KX125, YZ125, or a similar race bike. I thinking of going the 125 route because of the whole weight issue.

I made a comment on this in another thread in this forum, in regards to and old guy riding a KX 85 for his bike, and so does his wife. I think its plain rediculous. 125 2-Strokes and up are acceptable, nobody should be ashamed of a 125 pinger but a 85 or 100 and you are older than 16.... well thats just not right in my eyes.

Well, I think after starting this thread I've DEFINATELY made up my mind to buy another bike. Unlike a lot of other people, my parents didn't buy me a $6,000 dirt bike when I was 14 or 15, and this is actually my first dirt bike - ever. At the time, it was a convenient purchase and I thought I needed something that was lightweight, with a short seat height, to learn on. I also didn't know if dirt bikes were going to be "my thing" or not. Between full size cars and trucks, and r/c cars and trucks, I didn't know if I could fit the dirt bike hobby in. But know I'm addicted. Since learning, I've now rode 450s and 125 two-strokes, and I'm ready to move up (probably not to a 450 anytime soon however). Another reason I started out with a smaller bike is that I have a 6 year old and a 10 month old, and truthfully I didn't want a 240 lb. bike grinding me into the ground when I didn't know what the hell I was doing, leaving two little kids fatherless or my wife having to take care of my crippled ass. I had also read several articles about KX100s behind the ultimate trail bike for shorter people -- and I consider myself pretty short. However, I've seen a local kid that doesn't even look like he's 5' or 100 lbs. yet, tearing up big hills on a CRF250R, so I think I don't have an excuse for not trying a bigger bike. Thanks for everyone's input, and I'll let you know in the coming weeks what bike I end up with.

Who is that pictured on the KX100, and how big are they? Actually, leg room is not a big problem on mine. I'm not that tall, and I put MSR aluminum handlebars that are 1 1/2" higher and about a 1/2" wider and adjusted them forward a little, and truthfully, it feels like you're riding a bigger bike.

Moving up from a KX100, with a budget and family to feed, I would seriously consider a KDX200. Especially if you can find one used that already has modified suspension. You can often find them for around 2grand in great condition. They are fun, easy to ride, and they are bullet proof.

I like them so much that no matter what other bike, I have or have had, I keep a KDX200 in the garage. My current KDX200 is a 96 model. I did the top end about 3 years ago. It's getting due again now. I paid $1,600 for it and in three years have not had to do anything but Maintenance (I consider tires and brakes to be routine wear items or maintenance), and one set chain and sprockets. This spring it will get top end (already purchased the parts, total cost for piston, pin, bearing, and gaskets, $130.00), clutch (original is still in bike) and maybe some new graphics so it will look good again.

Most bang for the $$$$ that is hard to beat.

On the other hand, money no object, I would get a new 450cc WR, CRFX, EXC, of your choice.

If you are riding MX, you just waisted your time reading my response.

5'4" is about the bare minimum for a 125. I'm 5'5" and I can ride a full size bike just fine. The 100 is best for people about 5'3" and under. Regardless, it's a fun little mini-cylce for anyone to ride.

Great looking KDX, except for that rear fender. ? I'll gladly take your old "ugly" stocker. ?

Thanks... I know some people are die-hards when it comes to leaving the stock rear fender on, I snapped it in half along with the light the first time out, the bike had less than twenty miles on it, and I looped it up a hill. I replaced it with the stock one again (which is hanging on the wall in my shop) but then decided to stream line the look with the maier mx.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm 5'3 and always thought about it just never did. i struggle on my crf450. i think its ridiculas to push bigger bikes on people just based on age and not size. i would love to ride a kx100 and see if i liked it but i've always been ashamed to ask the 12 yr olds if i can borrow there bike. plus i'm over 150# so i dont know how well it will pull me around.

i'm 5'3 and always thought about it just never did. i struggle on my crf450. i think its ridiculas to push bigger bikes on people just based on age and not size. i would love to ride a kx100 and see if i liked it but i've always been ashamed to ask the 12 yr olds if i can borrow there bike. plus i'm over 150# so i dont know how well it will pull me around.

Well why did you get a 450???? Maybe you can consider a 125 or 250F?? Ever consider those options?? I am 5' 11" 147 lbs. and a KX 100 will not do the job. You can get a 125 and get suspension lowered, or maybe like a KDX 200, they are lower in seat height than a 125 I am pretty sure.