Sign in to follow this  

KX 450 sag setting

Got a few questions, I am trying to set the sag on my 450 and was wondering do you guys set sag with the shock warm, meaning after a few laps or just do it in the garage in my spare time. Second, coming off a 2003 kx 250 2 smoke I felt the bike was a little twitchy in comparison... so when replacing the chain with a DID ERT gold I added a link to make the bike a little more stable. My question is will this affect the sag setting? Should I set it at 103mm and go? Or go back to the original chain length and start there? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you should add a link to the chain because it twitchy. If it is, raise the fork tubes in the clamp 4-5mm and it should make the bike more stable.

no, hes saying loosen the top and bottom clamps, and slide down both fork tubes so there almost flush with the top of the fork, this will get rid of headshake and gain stability.

Don't you mean lower the fork tubes in the clamps?

Yes lowering the fork tubes in the clamps gives more stability..

Raising or sliding the fork tubes up in the clamps lets the bike turn quicker :thumbsup:

The sag can change as the shock heats up. I would check the sag when the shock is good and warmed up. You will probably need to let the shock cool down to change the sag. The lock nut is much tighter when it's hot. The extra link in the chain should be fine. With a geariing change of a smaller rear sprocket, the rear wheel would be moved back also. The wheel further back can also give you better drive of the starting pad.

Peace. Keating

The sag can change as the shock heats up. I would check the sag when the shock is good and warmed up. You will probably need to let the shock cool down to change the sag. The lock nut is much tighter when it's hot. The extra link in the chain should be fine. With a geariing change of a smaller rear sprocket, the rear wheel would be moved back also. The wheel further back can also give you better drive of the starting pad.

Peace. Keating

The sag does not change as your shock warms up. The sag is your ride height which is adjusted by the spring, Not your damping.

Yes, I know that. I was referring to the shock as a whole unit, not any individual component of the shock. The easiest way to see if your unit is hot is to feel the reservoir. Call it what you want, the sag can decrease when "the spring" heats up.

Peace. Keating