Sign in to follow this  

XR250 fork springs -upgrade

I am getting ready to replace my front fork springs (04 XR250R), I was wondering is this something I can do myself or would I be better off having them done professionally? I am looking at the Race Tech springs, I weigh 220lbs, the recommended spring for my weight was the 46kg. I have been told that the Race Tech spring is set up for MX and I should go with maybe a lighter spring, maybe the 44kg? :thumbsup: I am looking for any suggestions or help.

I weigh 190 without my gear, and I love my Racetech (46) set up!

They are a little stiffer than the Progressive units (44) I also have, but my weight seems to compensate for that.

I ride in really rocky, rutted terrain and I love the way the Racetech set up works. The front will skip a little if you come across a really gnarly root section (many roots in a row) but it handles rocks, whoops, jumps and logs better than my Progressives!

Hope this helps a little! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Silverslug:

I'm the same weight and have the same bike. I started with the Eibach .43s and although an improvement are not as effective as the Eibach .47s. I also upgraded the spring on the rear shock to the rate recommended by Race-Tech for desert/enduro for 220 lbs.

The Race-Tech recommended springs rates are right on the money: ride is much smoother and soaks up every square edge I throw at them.

I changed the springs myself. Get a Honda Service Manual for the XR250 (from your dealer or I saw one on eBay a couple days ago) and follow the instructions. You'll need to buy a torque wrench which is easy to use.

Joe

Silverslug:

I'm the same weight and have the same bike. I started with the Eibach .43s and although an improvement are not as effective as the Eibach .47s. I also upgraded the spring on the rear shock to the rate recommended by Race-Tech for desert/enduro for 220 lbs.

The Race-Tech recommended springs rates are right on the money: ride is much smoother and soaks up every square edge I throw at them.

I changed the springs myself. Get a Honda Service Manual for the XR250 (from your dealer or I saw one on eBay a couple days ago) and follow the instructions. You'll need to buy a torque wrench which is easy to use.

Joe

I do have a Honda factory shop manual and several torque wrenches, I have read the shop manual and it doesnt look to bad, but pictures don't always tell the whole story. I only have about 300 miles on the bike, should I replace the fork seals, they are not leaking, and use factory specs on fork oil or something different?

Your seals should last 20 times that mileage. Keeping the oil maintained will increase life. You will be surprised at what the oem oil looks like. The XR guru (Dwight) recommends 2.5-5 weight oil filled to the maximum specified level. I'm parroting his advice, but I did this and it works like a charm.

There are two pitfalls with this job:

Make sure you undo the upper pinch bolts before loosening the fork caps. Install and tighten the caps before retorquing the upper pinch bolts when reassembling (torque the lower ones first, install the caps, then tighten the upper pinch bolts).

Back off your compression clickers all the way before disassembling.

Oh, and support the forks when removing the springs. Don't ask me how I know this :thumbsup:

I weigh about 215lbs and run Eibach .43 , preload 15mm, 7wt fork oil , stock oil level ,compression adjusters set at 7clicks out. Works well for me here in texas terrian ( which is a little of everything). Nelson

Ditto what Red Snapper says. If it was me I'd just change the springs and leave the fork oil alone (as long as its within the height limits). That way, you'll be able to understand the effects of just the spring rate change.

Later,

Joe

Nice thread ... any one weigh 170 lbs? What Fork Spring are you using in your 96-04 XR250R Fork?