Sign in to follow this  

Did any of you have troubles with your 450's during break in?

When I first got my 05' CRF450 last fall, I had a heck of a time getting it to run and stay running until it was really warmed up for the 2 rides I got in before bad weather. Last Saturday I finally got to ride MX again with it, and it started pretty easily and never had any problems throughout the whole day. Are they finicky during break in?

And the weather was about the same as it was the last time I rode it.

When I first got my 05' CRF450 last fall, I had a heck of a time getting it to run and stay running until it was really warmed up for the 2 rides I got in before bad weather. Last Saturday I finally got to ride MX again with it, and it started pretty easily and never had any problems throughout the whole day. Are they finicky during break in?

And the weather was about the same as it was the last time I rode it.

your scaring me baby, what brake in,

i get em new, warm it up at the track at high idle until it pukes coolant out the overflow ( about 14 min of run time )

and then you pin it and race,

there is not a brake in on these baby's( god you gota love em )

( remember those 2 strokes with the big holes you cut in the cylinder and how hard it was to get the piston sized into the cylinder without sticking the thing at least twice :bonk: )

the dam 2 strokes were so hard to get the rings to seal worth a dam, good lord oh god All mighty these 4 strokes are so cool.

but no i never had any issues with any crf at all when new, they just fly so cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wasn't breaking it in as in babying it, I just meant while it was new still and shavings were coming out of the oil while everything was seating in. Maybe I wasn't letting it warm up enough? :thumbsup:

I have another questiond since you brought up the "puking coolant out of the overflow". Mine did it on it's 2nd ride, after I pulled of the track I let it idle for a bit to drain the gas out of the carb, and it puked out coolant. Is that ok, or the norm for it?

well i got a new 05 CRF450R last october 23rd. I didn't know about the correct way of breaken em hard...i just took it easy for about 5 hours of ride time...now it will pooof blue smoke while it's warming up then goes away since it didn't seat the rings properly...next time will be different. I had trouble getting it to refire when hot for the first couple of hours, but once the cams got worn in and everything, it restarts and runs fine...never puked a drip of coolant in it's life.

I have another questiond since you brought up the "puking coolant out of the overflow". Mine did it on it's 2nd ride, after I pulled of the track I let it idle for a bit to drain the gas out of the carb, and it puked out coolant. Is that ok, or the norm for it?

That's normal.

Let me get this right, to break in these new CRF's you just pretty much fire it up and go? No more putting around for a few hours? Just ride the piss out of it?

Sorry to sound ignorant, I'm new!! :thumbsup:

ofcourse thats normal... you got it hot on the track and then brought it to a stop long enough to drail the bowl... no air passing threw the rads = hot bike!!! :thumbsup:

Let me get this right, to break in these new CRF's you just pretty much fire it up and go? No more putting around for a few hours? Just ride the piss out of it?

Sorry to sound ignorant, I'm new!! :thumbsup:

That's right. Beat the snot out of them. Just make sure you change the oil within the first half hour and then again after the initial ride and all will be swell.

BTW -What's up Kelstr Baby! I need to come by and wrench on something. I'm getting bored with my own bike. Maybe I can work on yours since you never have time. :thumbsup:

baby them with service & love. they won't ask you to stop at the store. they won't ask you where you have been. they won't ask you when are you coming home. they just want you to ride them hard.

That's right. Beat the snot out of them. Just make sure you change the oil within the first half hour and then again after the initial ride and all will be swell.

BTW -What's up Kelstr Baby! I need to come by and wrench on something. I'm getting bored with my own bike. Maybe I can work on yours since you never have time. :thumbsup:

oh man you got that right, :bonk:

i am going to try and do up a top end in the poor thing this week,

i gota put a clutch in it , chain , sprockets, rub strip , guide . :thumbsup: