Should I keep the K&N filter or get a UNI?

The guy that I had bought my XR400 from had put a K&N filter on it. I've been reading some posts and it looks like people aren't into K&N's too much. The filter needs to be cleaned pretty badly, but it looks like I could get a UNI filter for not too much more than a K&N cleaning kit costs. What would you guys say to do? I do encounter quite a bit of dust around me when I ride and I'd rather not get a bunch of dirt in my cylinder.

If the general consensus is that I should replace the K&N, what do you guys think of some of the other filters besides the UNI? In the TT store I found a Twin Air and I think a White Brothers. Are those any good, or should I just stick with a UNI?

Also if I do get a UNI (or any other ones), do I need anything from the stock filter? Is there a cage that it goes on or anything? If so where could I get one, cause I'm not sure what my buddy did with all of that stuff from the bike.

Thanks

Click here for a current thread which discusses this 'problem'.

I personally like K&N. Some claim they let dirt in to the cylinder, but I had one on my XR200 with no problems, and I now have one on my XR400. They are easy to clean, spray cleaner and rinse with water, then spray on oil (no sticky foam filter cleaner, that must be applied with hands get it to soak in well).

Not only that they have amazing customer support. My old XR200's filter shrunk a little, so I gave them a call told them, they didn't question me or anything, they just sent me a brand new one with new hardware and everything. So if your filter ever shrinks or gets worn out you could do the same.

I have a stock foam filter on my fourwheeler, and it works fine too, but when it gets worn out I'll probably replace it with a K&N. I would stick with the K&N, the cleaning kit is only like $12 or $13, and it lasts a long time.

UNI :thumbsup: K&N :thumbsup:

UNI :thumbsup: K&N non dusty conditions OK, dusty :thumbsup:

Click here for a current thread which discusses this 'problem'.

Guess I shoud search in more forums than just the XR250/400 forum :thumbsup:

I'll probably end up ordering a UNI and hoping that the dang snow will melt soon so I can go ride. I could probably get away with the K&N but I also frequent a couple of Ford Ranger forums and most people seem to be against them in those too (often because the oil fouls the MAF, as well as poor filtering). With what I hear from so many people I think I'd be best off getting a UNI.

I also see people using a piece of square UNI filter material where they had the snorkle before, could anyone tell me or post a picture of exactly how you attach a piece of filter there?

UNI is a much better choice than a K&N. I replace all my filters with UNI's

UNI is the best way to go its a great all around filter

I personally feel more comfortable running a foam filter as opposed to a paper element in off-road conditions. I've been running twin-air air filters with the twin-air filter cage ever since I bought my bike a few years back. I use the Twin-air "system" to clean and oil the filters. Basically, the "system" consists of a large bucket that holds one gallon of the cleaning solution, and a smaller bucket that you use to oil the filters with. I use the original Twin-air cleaner and oil - I do not use the Bio cleaner / oil. I've been very satisfied with Twin-Air's products.

I participate in a diesel truck forum. After alot of bickering - they sent a bunch of filters to a commercial place for testing. K & N came out on the bottom of the pile in terms of filtering efficiency (passes alot of dirt).

They do breath more free-ly when clean - so things look great on a dyno. But a K & N only has filtering media on the sides - with a metal plate on "the back" of the filter. Given that you are pulling the air through a much smaller surface area with the K & N (versus uni or stock) - add a little dust and it plugs right up.

My opinion on K & N - if you have one, throw it away and put the stock filter back on.

The UNI will pass more dust than the stock filter - but with a more coarse outer layer will not plug as quickly; The UNI is also less restrictive - I notice increase in roll-on response (this is compared to the stock filter with the backfire screen removed from the filter cage).

And FWIW, I use a light aerosol filter oil (kal-gard or pj-1) , less chance of over-oiling the filter , running rich, etc. I love the aerosol filter cleaner too...

jeff

UNI Good :thumbsup: K&N Bad :thumbsup:

I participate in a diesel truck forum. After alot of bickering - they sent a bunch of filters to a commercial place for testing. K & N came out on the bottom of the pile in terms of filtering efficiency (passes alot of dirt).

That wouldn't have happened to be the one where the AC Delco filter came out on top, was it? I read that and it was quite interesting.

I do have a K&N on my 86XR600,it has been on there since i got the bike,and it still looks new,but on my 99XR250,I have a UNI and i think its as good a filter as money can buy,never have i ever detected any dust in my air boot,or intake for that matter and they stay clean for a while,at least where I go riding.and by the way,my 86XR600 still runs as strong as a MUH-FUH,geared for top end,this bike will do 100 mph,the motor was done at XR's only back in the 90's,big-bore,head ported suspension,etc.And let me add that I got my XR250 completely stock,60K on the odo,and I took it home and did all the Gorden mods at the same time and dam,did it do the trick!!it woke up a otherwise sleepy motor and made it fun to go riding!! XR280 in the near future!!you bet!!..Right now im buying a new back tire for the 250,see you back out there in a few..

UNI works great for desert trail dust:)

That wouldn't have happened to be the one where the AC Delco filter came out on top, was it? I read that and it was quite interesting.

yup.

jeff

Depends on the type of conditions you ride in. If you ride in dusty, muddy, nasty conditions then a Uni is the best anything other then that, mainly open road, K&N is ok.

Great air filter the uni just make sure u line it up properly when u putting it on i check mine with the seat off and look through were the snorkel use to be.