Sign in to follow this  

Buying a used KLX-650 (any known issues to look for)?

I am considering to buy a used KLX-650. Are there any known issues to look for? Are there any "model year" specific issues that one needs to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

-Fariborz

What are your buying, a KLX650C dual sport, or a KLX650R off road only?

What year?

Just bought a 1993 KLX650C in December and found out the following things:

1. The R has much more aftermarket support than the C, but don't expect either of them to have jack compared to a DRZ, XR or even a KLR.

2. KLR stuff does not fit, they are totally different machines.

3. Both KLX models, C and R, have an issue with the automatic cam chain not being automatic, so there is a couple mods you can do to make them manual. Find the KLX650 Yahoo group for more info on this. Once you do that mod they are bulletproof rocks of a motor.

4. The KLX650C rear shock is crap on the 1993 and 1994's, plan on replacing them after 5000 miles. And there is no such thing as a used one. Trust me, I have been looking.

5. Fork seals seem to leak "fairly" easy. This is my first go around with off road upside down forks so maybe 5000 miles is when they go, but it seems a bit quick for me. My CBR has 18,000 miles on it without a single drop of oil leaked, so your mileage may vary.

6. If I forgot to mention it, aftermarket sucks for these bikes. Period. They were fairly low volume sellers when new and where only made for a few years so be prepared for that. Tanks, plactics, etc. are hard t come b, but the R model shares some stuff with other KLX's, wich is a good thing. Again, the Yahoo group has a listing.

7. Forks seem to be a bit soft if your huge. New springs should be gotten at some point.

Otherwise they are a great dual sport machine. Ton's of power, fairly off road ready (though they are heavy), and just a cool all around machine with a huge motor. Mine will crusie at 80MPH all day with no issues and run dirt roads like nobody's business. Much better off road then a KLR.

Overall I am very happy wih the machine, however knowing what I now know I'd have bought the R model instead of the C model since I found one of each for sale at the same time. The C was a bit cheaper and street legal, the R had a dual sport kit, but I was still unsure about licensing. Oh well!

Hope this helps!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I am still contemplating if the KLX650 is the right bike for me. I have joined few different KLX forums (including the Yahoo Group) and have not gotten that much feedback at all. Even the KLX owners who are supposed to be enthusiasts about their bikes, have not posted anything saying that the KLX650 is a great bike or at least say something positive.

Asking the same questions on other Suzuki, Ducati or Honda lists that I belong to, people would come out of woodwork to tell you how much they like their bikes and what the strong or weak points are, as they see it.

Thanks again,

-Fariborz

Hello, I am selling one in the classifieds as I type. I really enjoyed this machine. It had a new topend put on in 2003, and new timing chain and tensioners in 2004. the forks have been rebuilt as well as the rear shock. The bike is not as fun to ride in tight singletrack as my 2005wr450 but is great on more open trails. You can pick up speed very quietly and in a hurry. The ride is plush and the seat comfortable. I have kept the machine this long because I try not to get rid of things I enjoy. My son is really getting into trail riding and I want to get him a more serious bike so I have to part with a couple of mine ,and his current ride,to make that happen.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I am still contemplating if the KLX650 is the right bike for me. I have joined few different KLX forums (including the Yahoo Group) and have not gotten that much feedback at all. Even the KLX owners who are supposed to be enthusiasts about their bikes, have not posted anything saying that the KLX650 is a great bike or at least say something positive.

Asking the same questions on other Suzuki, Ducati or Honda lists that I belong to, people would come out of woodwork to tell you how much they like their bikes and what the strong or week points are, as they see it.

Thanks again,

-Fariborz

I am a memeber over there too and feel the same way. Everytime I asked a legit question I get nothing and they really don't seem all that into it.

Serious;y, it's a great, rare bike. You will like it. There are no huge issues other than parts availability in the aftermarket, it's big, cool and a riot to ride.

My take? Buy it and have fun. Who cares what other people think anyway!

Hey now. My KLX650 is a GREAT bike. I plan on keeping it forever.

MiWeber covered most of the main things to look for in his post.

I weigh about 150lbs, so it is way too much of a monster for the singletrack I ride

offroad, so I use mine as a street bike.

Mods done were rejetting. (#42 pilot, shim needle with a washer and #148 main)

Black CEET gripper seat cover, put the wattara valve in the breather hose and found

a White Brothers muffler for a R model. Had to cut off the front bracket so I could

use the stock C model mounting at that point, and put a few spacers on the rear

brackets, but it fits real well now. Also put some Pirelli MT90 Scorpion ST tires on

it since it is on the road only pretty much.

The bike rips. Will cruise easy at 80mph at 5500rpm, and this is with a 14 tooth

front sprocket.

It had 3900 miles on it when I snagged it in Aug. 2003. has about 9400 miles on it

now, with zero major problems. Will be checking the valves and cam chain in the

next few weeks, for the first time, just because it is way overdue.

No problems starting or running, just figure I better take a look as I want the bike

to last a long time.

Note on the starting, if it sits more than a few days and you didn't run the carb dry

it will refuse to start. Drain the float bowl out and get some fresh gas in there, and

it fires right up, every time regardless of temperature.

Jetting can be a bit tricky, if it is off just a bit, you get plagued by a hanging high

idle condition, but when you get it right, they run great.

As mentioned, parts can be hard or impossible to locate, which is another reason I

dont thrash it offroad....

I would say grab one if you get the chance.

White Brothers muffler for a R model. Had to cut off the front bracket so I could

use the stock C model mounting at that point, and put a few spacers on the rear

brackets, but it fits real well now.

Can you explain thias a bit further? I nabbed a White Brothers exhaust and couldn't get it to fit my C.

Did you cut the end off the White pipe or the header?

Did it fit into the stock gasket or was there more to it?

Any more info would help.

How many discs are you running? Is it loud?

Did it make a difference?

Mike

Well I bought a 95KLX650c a few months ago and love it, but it is my first big thumper, what do I know. Everything said so far is right on. I bought mine to dual sport with the dirt portion limited to roads and non technical trails. In rocky slow going it is heavy and a handful. For powering down dirt roads and single lane pavement it is a hoot. Did the mentioned carb mods and went to a 14 tooth counter sprocket and it really improved the offroad ability while still maintaining an easy 70mph cruising speed. Mileage actually increased to over 50 mpg, which is a good thing because there are no options for the 3.2 gal tank.

I envisioned a super KLR650 when I bought it as it as the foundation is already there. Then I discovered the lack of aftermarket. My winshield is a maier, modded the seat myself, and built some radiater protection out of steel rod. Buying a 5 liter saddle tank for gas from bum tanks in australia. I think when done I will have a better bike than the KLR and still have less invested than a comparable used one.

WAS UP MAN IM INTERESTED IN THAT PIPE GOTTA $

I HAVE A 93 KLX 650R AND LOVE IT TOOK A WHILE TO GET USED TO BUT AFTER DROPPING THE FRONT SPROCKET 1 TOOTH (I RIDE IN THE WOODS) IT IS AWESOME LOVE THE WAY IT RIPPS UP HILLS AND THE WAY THE BIKE ROLLS INTO THE POWER LET ME KNOW ABOUT THAT PIPE ALSO LOOKING FOR LEFT SIDE RADIATOR SHROUD GREEN :thumbsup:

WAS UP MAN IM INTERESTED IN THAT PIPE GOTTA $

I HAVE A 93 KLX 650R AND LOVE IT TOOK A WHILE TO GET USED TO BUT AFTER DROPPING THE FRONT SPROCKET 1 TOOTH (I RIDE IN THE WOODS) IT IS AWESOME LOVE THE WAY IT RIPPS UP HILLS AND THE WAY THE BIKE ROLLS INTO THE POWER LET ME KNOW ABOUT THAT PIPE ALSO LOOKING FOR LEFT SIDE RADIATOR SHROUD GREEN :thumbsup:

I believe it's already sold, though I have not actually recieved the money for it yet. If something changes, I will let you know.

Hope you find a shroud.

Can you explain thias a bit further? I nabbed a White Brothers exhaust and couldn't get it to fit my C.

Did you cut the end off the White pipe or the header?

Did it fit into the stock gasket or was there more to it?

Any more info would help.

How many discs are you running? Is it loud?

Did it make a difference?

Mike

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words they say, so here are a bunch

of pics I took of the muffler and steps taken.

http://www.gmadhosting.com/MysteryMuffler/

Note the bracket is the only thing I had to cut. Had to wiggle and tap the

pipe a bunch to get it to fit in the header without borking up the gasket, but

once done it was in there snug.

No discs on this one. The muffler came with no endcap, but I got all

lucky and found a brand new adjustable "Snuf-r-not" endcap on ebay the

next week that fit perfect. Picked it up for about $12, including shipping.

Since it adjusts in a few seconds with a hex key, I can run it as quiet or

loud as I want. Been running it a bit over 1/2 way open, which is quite a bit

louder than the stock was, but not an issue as I use it on the street.

(Still much quieter than the Hardley Ablesons....)

:thumbsup:

*yes, it made a big difference. much better performance now.

Hey,

I bought a '95 KLX650 A2 about 6 months ago. I Paid $2000CDN for it and I'm just giving it a really good once over now.

I had 3 previous owners and at least one of them was a Fricken moron. Some jackass stripped the drain plug hole and had to put in a Heli-coil. They ripped off a bunch of stuff to "Make it lighter". Not that pulling off the plastic Disk shrouds and the headlight are going to make a big difference.

I have only ridden it a few times now and I've noticed that it Smokes quite a bit when you start it. It will smoke for a minute or 2 and then stop. I've got the top end off right now and am trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm thinking it's a valve seal. also the top end was making alot of noise. People told me that these bike make alot of valve train noise but since I have nothing to compare it to I'm gonna look into it my self.

Other than that I think it's a great bike. This one is Easy to start and has a shnit pile of power. These guys are probably on to something with a sprocket change and I didn't know about draining the carb if you're gonna let it sit but I've experienced that problem and I'll probably give it a try. I'm putting a duel sport kit on mine while I have it apart and I already have it registerd for the road (The system is pretty lax here =-D )

Anyway, hope this help.

Cheers,

Wally

hello,

I have a ProCircuit Race bike ForSale Cheap !!

96'KLXR 650.

Low miles, Solid bike, Needs Love !

$1,000. Takes it Home !!.............. The Pipe Cost More !!!

Las Vegas, Nv.

Pic's on Demand .............