Wr Or Yz250f Or .....

I am most likely going to buy a new bike relatively soon. I have been riding a WR426 (2001) free mods done but no electric start. I ride mostly trails and am thinking of going with one of the 250's. 1. Will I be happy with a 250? and 2. Would I be happier with the YZ for the extra punch and light weight since I have never had an electric start model and I have never had a problem starting the 426. Please let the opinions fly on these bikes or any others that might be a good switch.

i have a 2005 wr250f it is quite fast, do all the free mods and you essentially have a yz250f with electric start, a larger radiator, and a kick ass transmission

and the stock wr250f is faster than the yz250f on top speed because of the gearing

the wr is a little corked up and you wont get the beastly power delivery of a yz250f

until of course you do the free mods

what about a yz125 or yz250 2stroke :thumbsup::thumbsup:

yz250f is a hell of alot better than a yz125, torgue and bottom end are freaking massive. 2 strokes do not have lots of bottom end power and i believe they are harder to maintain

I was mainly thinking of the YZ for the weight savings.

Having ridden the WR426 for quite some time, and having not ridden a WR250, will I be dissappointed in the power. The 426 is probally too much on top, but 3rd gear can just about take you through a whole trail. What the Wr250 sacrifices on top I will probally never miss, but what about the torque in the middle gears or is it going to be a busier ride. Which is fine. I just don't want to unload the $ and be upset.

I also ride trails here in AZ and about the only think I wish my yzf had is........a kickstand which I am due to purchase soon. I beleive the seating position beyween the 2 is different....don't know for sure.

i have a 2005 wr250f it is quite fast, do all the free mods and you essentially have a yz250f with electric start, a larger radiator, and a kick ass transmission

Need more?

If you say your not going to miss top end...And your not using the magic button...Then your not going to miss a 426 at all, compared to a new 06 yz250f. Unless you need a headlight?

I went from a '99YZ250 to my '01WR250F and did not miss the power. Free mods and YZ timing and exhaust turn it into almost a YZ with the WR tranny. The weight is the same as my '99YZ also. It is lighter than the 426.

Ummm, no. LOL. I think the WR feels like a slug. Its way corked down, but I dont think thats the thing even. For a 250F thumper the WR feels way to heavy and bulky for me, and the suspension is not up to par to do everything. Yes, this is coming from a motocrosser, but I do hit the desert about once a month, its good training for the track.
yz250f is a hell of alot better than a yz125, torgue and bottom end are freaking massive. 2 strokes do not have lots of bottom end power and i believe they are harder to maintain

Sounds like you have never ever had a 2 stroke.............. or ridden one.

Sounds like you have never ever had a 2 stroke.............. or ridden one.

i had a yz 85 and have a yz 125

Ummm, no. LOL. I think the WR feels like a slug. Its way corked down, but I dont think thats the thing even. For a 250F thumper the WR feels way to heavy and bulky for me, and the suspension is not up to par to do everything. Yes, this is coming from a motocrosser, but I do hit the desert about once a month, its good training for the track.

uncork it and it is almost a yz250f and the transmission is better and the radiators are larger, if you have to get some hot cams, i have them they are great

I went from a YZ426F to a YZ250F and it is a great in the woods. The 250F feels like half the wieght and is just way more fun to ride. If you won't miss the E-start get the YZ. Engine ice in the rads and a skid plate and you will be set for the woods with a YZ250F

Having ridden a YZF and WR 250's (both 2005 models) they are pretty much the same feeling. The YZF did seem lighter and was more powerful but I relate that to the tranny whereas the WR felt more steady which is why I prefer it offroad plus the tranny is better IMHO (for offroad).

Now if I was on a track I'd want the YZF