Sign in to follow this  

Anybody been to MMI?

Hey just wondering if anyone has had the chance to go to MMI, if so what did you think? i have the chance to possibly go later this year and just wondering if it was worth it, i want to do motorcycle mechanics as a hobby or career within time, any suggestions would help thanx

I'm going there next year. I'm sure I will post thorough reviews of how I like the school throughout my time there. I know I would have appreciated the same when I was deciding whether to go or not.

i will most likely be there this fall, just wanting to know what to expect, pros and cons and such

I was going to go, untill everyone I talked too that went said that it was a waste of time and a BIG wate of money. The school is verry spendy, as is every tech school these days.

As I talk to theese people about working on my bikes and what maintenence I do on them, they assure me that I allredy know more than the school has to offer.....My advice would be to start working at a Bike shop, that will be the real test. You will learn alot there. And you mite even change your mind about wanting to be a mechaninc. MMI only boasts " your foot in the door" they only train you to do the basics....I guess it all comes down to what you want to do in the industry. The certifacte would be great if all you want to do is work at a bike shop wrenching for a max of $15 maby.... But I read about factory mechanincs every day, and how they got to where they are now. Maby 2% have gone to school. Most of them just startyed wrenching for a fast local kid and followed him to all the races, if you do good work somone will see you and recrute you.....

I know nothing of the school and have never been there.

But I have heard one or two shop owners make a comment to the effect of:

"Oh,, he was another MMI guy,,,, gone by noon."

For whatever that's worth.

If I wanted to stay around here and work at a shop, I would have to be working on Ranchers beat up 4 wheelers, and there little honda generators. That would make up 90% of the stuff I work on. So for me thats not an option. So if you want to work on some nice MX bikes you have to move to AZ,CA,TX,FL,ect... but all them places have an abundance of motorcycle mechanics, there expendable! As soon a one wants a raise they just fire him and hire a new fresh one out of school at a low hourly rate.......

I would like to go to MMI or AMI, one of those. But the thign is I dont want to work at a shop. I want to work for a team. Most people Ive talked to though say oh you have to know someone bla bla bla. I dont know if it would be worth it.

one of team WBR suzuki's mechanics is from my home town ....he never went to school for that crap...he said its all about in's man ya gotta get out there and meet people. I also have heard it was a waste of money.One of our local mechanics went there...graduated too..i wouldnt let him wash my bike let alone wrench on it....he doesnt even torque cam caps

you people say just to go and work on the bikes. but if you don't know a family member or family friend that owns a shop, that degree is going to help a lot to get a job.

I am curently a student at mmi I have only ben here for 6 weeks,I have worked on bikes my whole life and can honestly say that I have already learned alot. Have any of you tried to get a job at a shop with no experience? I have and I never got the job. I to want to be a race mechanic and it is true they only teach the basics here.but what they give you is experence I am curently in clinic 1 and I now understand how a trany works and can tear it apart and re-build it. I am glad I made the decision to come here and would recomend it to any one who dosen't already have a "foot in the door" or a job in a shop.

I have already learned alot. Have any of you tried to get a job at a shop with no experience? I have and I never got the job. I to want to be a race mechanic and it is true they only teach the basics here.but what they give you is experence I am curently in clinic 1 and I now understand how a trany works and can tear it apart and re-build it. I am glad I made :

Thanks torch exactly what i wanted to hear :thumbsup:

I want to work on bikes, and the only thing thats stopping me is that i dont have professional experience, i applied at the local honda/yam/suz. shops and they wont hire ppl off the streets, if its ok with you i may ask you some questions in the future about mmi.

thanks

tim

In some areas it is like my present job, LAN/WAN Admin, the degree gets your foot in the door but you will learn a LOT more on the job. I worked as a mechanic for about 10 (1972-1982) years working up to service mgr at a Suzuki shop. I don't know if it is different now but i found then i just could not make enough money so i had to move on. Working in a shop was the best job i have had except the lack of money.

I'm in the process of looking into MMI or similar just to get that "credential". Pretty much that's all people look at when hiring.

I went to AMI in Daytona back in 83. I had worked on bikes for years but didn't know a lot of the theory. The course gave me a solid background in what I was doing helping me make educated decisions, and made it much easier to get a job at a good shop.

I'd compare it to a self taught engineer and a college graduate with a ring. The self taught fella may be 2ce as smart as the P-eng, but in a job interview the employer usually doesn't know you and will take the certification more seriously, sad but true.

So if you are a decent mechanic you can solid up your career with the certification, and you will learn a lot of new things. For somebody who's a half ass mechanic, the school will tune up your skills and could land you a good job.

It's your life and your future, do whatever you can afford to make it better. :thumbsup:

moto x2005 ya i'll answer any questions that I can.

sweet thanks man and everyone else, im lookin at goin to MMI in the fall, ive just emailed them for the second time wondering where my info packet is at, been 2 months now. Is it them or is the US Postal goin rela slow these days? lol well ill ask you some stuff in the future thanks :thumbsup: