Calling all 250 EXC RFS Riders...

.....I've been interested in this bike for awhile now and just found an awesome deal on one (2004). I'm posting here to get any and all comments/impressions about the bike.

:thumbsup: I was fortunate enough to attend a demo ride late last year and was very impressed with the '06 KTM line. Shoot away bad or good...

Thanks,

Weimer01

:thumbsup:

.....I've been interested in this bike for awhile now and just found an awesome deal on one (2004). I'm posting here to get any and all comments/impressions about the bike.

:bonk: I was fortunate enough to attend a demo ride late last year and was very impressed with the '06 KTM line. Shoot away bad or good...

Thanks,

Weimer01

:thumbsup:

I CAUGHT YOU!!!! :thumbsup: I heard these bikes were gutless without a big bore kit, but don't take my word for it. Some of the guys on here who've actually ridden/owned them I'm sure will help. I do know they make a 351cc kit that really woke them up. But personally, if I were in your shoes I would either mod out the XR some more or pick up a used WR.

A friend of mine has a 250 it was kind of gutless. He had a 351 kit installed what a big difference a totally different machine.

THe 250 is a nice friendly woods bike with wide usable power band, not guna win any races but a very friendly woods bike. With the 351 kit it has about the perfect blend of small bike agility and big bike pull

I CAUGHT YOU!!!! :bonk: I heard these bikes were gutless without a big bore kit, but don't take my word for it. Some of the guys on here who've actually ridden/owned them I'm sure will help. I do know they make a 351cc kit that really woke them up. But personally, if I were in your shoes I would either mod out the XR some more or pick up a used WR.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: WR's are CRAP! I have an 04 250 RFS with the HT-RACING 351 kit and let me tell you this thing is an animal in the woods! Absolute perfection ! Don't buy the factory KTM 350 kit the HT-RACING kit will out perform and last longer . look up ht-racing.com and see for yourself and make sure you talk to Bill Sr. he is very knowledgeable about KTM bikes and he wont steer you wrong! Go to KTMTALK.com and do a search on HT-RACING . Not to mention if you ever wanted to sell your bike with the 351 kit you could get more money for it and sell it faster. I won't ever part with mine!! :bonk::bonk::eek:

BTW

My Son has had as many of 6 of those bikes at a time in a off road tour fleet, racing one in MX on Friday night and an enduro on Sunday for well over a year before (much of it with throttle pinned!) we had to go inside one. It had an estimated 7,000 miles on it when we put a rod & piston in it.

He currently rides an 05 with the HT 351 kit

Thanks for the replies...that 351 kit sounds pretty good, going from 250cc to 351cc is a big jump. They must have plenty of material to work with.

I have also heard rumor that KTM may bring the 250 RFS back in '07 (250 XC-W RFS), anyone else hear of this too? If so I may just wait...

The 07 250 is based on the 250SXF dual overhead cam engine but in XCF and XCFW models it will have Estart and the slightly longer stroke from the 250RFS rather than the ultra short stroke of the SXF. based upon that longer stroke HT will have a 320 kit that should work very nice

Mr. Hopkins,

.....Can you lead me to some more info on the '07 bike?

Late last year I upgraded from a 2004 XR250 to a 2004 KTM 250 EXC RFS. Bone stock the KTM easily out handles and out powers the XR.

Like you, I found an incredible deal on a brand new leftover. Even after adding the HT-Racing big bore kit it was $2000 less than either the 400 or 450.

The HT-Racing kit is now a 355 and allows for an additional bore. Their website is http://www.ht-racing.com.

Like Dave Hopkins said, the 250 double overhead cam model will be out later this year as a 2007. While the pictures and specifications make me drool, I can't justify the cost for the type of riding I do.

Good luck in your search.

I can't see the 250 being gutless, I have a hard time keeping up withg them because a few of the guys I ride with have them...

They are A and fast B riders so that might explain it as well, but they seem to fly in the woods....

The 250 RFS is a very good woods bike. It'll hang with just about anything in the tight stuff, but is a bit underpowered, as is any 250 F, when out in the open or on big hills. The HTR 351 takes care of any power shortage, and keeps all of the tight wood ability. :thumbsup:

.....I'm getting the impression that the HTR kit is for top end performance, how does it effect the bottom end? I'm not interested in riding at 60+ mph.

.....I'm getting the impression that the HTR kit is for top end performance, how does it effect the bottom end? I'm not interested in riding at 60+ mph.

Well you guessed wrong on that one. 250Fs pretty much have nothing on the bottom, a common quote is "You gotta ride it like a 2-stroke", but the HTR 351 has as much bottom as most 400s. It truly becomes a different bike when you punch it ouot. I know that the first time I rode mine after it was kitted I was pulling hillclimbs in third gear that an XR400 buddy was struggling to make in second. You can't do that without good bottom. :thumbsup:

I had an 03 250rfs and stock the bike didnt have a lot of useable power. why? the engine is basically the same as the 525 engine. ya ya i know different cyclinder and head but the same design just different size ports and bore. We found the fix. the flywheel is the same one on the 525exc and that is way to big for a 250 four stroke. the engine was using its power accelerating the flywheel. so i got the stator and flywheel from an e-start conversion kit that ktm sells to put e-start on 450sx's. this is a much smaller and lighter flywheel. and the stator in the kit also allows you to retian lighting and estart. the bike runs completely different when you put the 450sx flywheel on it. then the only other mod engine performance wise was a doma muffler i put on it. the engine needs the muffler changed. we added a small reducer to the endcap b/c the muffler was made for the 450s and 525s and didnt have enough backpressure for the 250 but the stock muffler waqs just plugged up. i converted the bike to an SX model by putting the then new style one piece rear fender/sidepanel stuff on it and a few other thngs to save wieght. by the time we got done the bike weighed 230 which is one pound more than an 03 yz250f.

so what did the bike really do at the motocross track. well a friend of mine was watching the start and when i pulled the holeshot the guy next to him asked what that 450 ktm was doing in the 125 class then my friend had to explain that i was riding the slow exc 250 that ppl had ben reading about in the mags. oh by the way there were 15 in the class all fourstrokes except one kx125.

i also used the bike to run some enduros and it worked great it was the best bike i ever had. but it melted in a fire we had and now is in the motorcycle grave yard.

all these ppl are telling you about these big bore kits the do give the bike more power but you dont need them to get the bike up to speed plus it is not legal to run in the light class anymore.

i have ridden on the ktm 350 kit the ht 350 kit and the thumper kit. to be honest i think that changing the flywheel and muffler make the 250rsf better than installing one of these kits. if i had to say i would say that my 250rfs was faster than the 350s that i rode. now if you had the 350 kit and then changed the flywheel and stator out the bike would rip. the fact is the engine has too much flywheel for its displacement.

I spent the day on a 2003 250RFS with a 300cc kit. This bike belonged to Dick Burelson. I ride a 625SXC and I was VERY impressed by this bike. I had the opportunity to buy this bike and I am still kicking myself for not finding the money to get it. It was AWSOME in the woods.

I had an 03 250rfs and stock the bike didnt have a lot of useable power. why? the engine is basically the same as the 525 engine. ya ya i know different cyclinder and head but the same design just different size ports and bore. We found the fix. the flywheel is the same one on the 525exc and that is way to big for a 250 four stroke. the engine was using its power accelerating the flywheel. so i got the stator and flywheel from an e-start conversion kit that ktm sells to put e-start on 450sx's. this is a much smaller and lighter flywheel. and the stator in the kit also allows you to retian lighting and estart. the bike runs completely different when you put the 450sx flywheel on it. then the only other mod engine performance wise was a doma muffler i put on it. the engine needs the muffler changed. we added a small reducer to the endcap b/c the muffler was made for the 450s and 525s and didnt have enough backpressure for the 250 but the stock muffler waqs just plugged up. i converted the bike to an SX model by putting the then new style one piece rear fender/sidepanel stuff on it and a few other thngs to save wieght. by the time we got done the bike weighed 230 which is one pound more than an 03 yz250f.

so what did the bike really do at the motocross track. well a friend of mine was watching the start and when i pulled the holeshot the guy next to him asked what that 450 ktm was doing in the 125 class then my friend had to explain that i was riding the slow exc 250 that ppl had ben reading about in the mags. oh by the way there were 15 in the class all fourstrokes except one kx125.

i also used the bike to run some enduros and it worked great it was the best bike i ever had. but it melted in a fire we had and now is in the motorcycle grave yard.

all these ppl are telling you about these big bore kits the do give the bike more power but you dont need them to get the bike up to speed plus it is not legal to run in the light class anymore.

ihonest have ridden on the ktm 350 kit the ht 350 kit and the thumper kit. to be i think that changing the flywheel and muffler make the 250rsf better than installing one of these kits. if i had to say i would say that my 250rfs was faster than the 350s that i rode. now if you had the 350 kit and then changed the flywheel and stator out the bike would rip. the fact is the engine has too much flywheel for its displacement.

:thumbsup::bonk: NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT !! I SAY HE IS FULL OF :thumbsup::bonk::bonk::eek:

We ride weekly with a guy who rides an '03 250 exc rfs. The bike is the smoothest woods bike I have ever ridden. It does not have the all mighty power that many are used to, but it works very well. He runs very low 12/50 gearing and is able to still run with the group at speeds approaching 60mph.

It's much more flickable through the tight stuff than any of the big bore bikes that I have ridden.

You would not be disappointed with the 250 rfs, but like many have posted, if you want more it's a simple/inexpensive swap to 351.

50race - how is the 250 rfs in the woods when lugging it with the lighter flywheel? My stock 04 250 EXC RFS will lug down to just barely turning with no problem. I'm only 160# . I race harescrambles WNYOA ( upstate NY and Pa.)

I don't know about being gutless,It's a 250 bike made for the woods.If you want more power then get the 350 kit either way it's a very good bike...It's a KTM!