Sign in to follow this  

Knee braces

Anyone have any experience with EVS or Asterisks knee braces?

Which ones are most comfortable and slip the least?

Tahnks for the input. :thumbsup:

I just bought the Asterisk braces. I only have two rides on them but must say that I will never ride with out them. So far I have had no difficulties with them slipping. I wore them all day saturday and only had to pull them up once, barely. The asterisks are very comfortable and have some nice adjustments to better fit your leg, (I'm sure the high end EVS's do too). You can't go wrong with the asterisks, but these are the only pair that I have owned so I can't compare them to EVS. Well worth the money, my friend is recovering from knee surgery and he wasn't wearing braces when he twisted his knee in a rut.

I have the Asterisk braces but I haven't had a chance to wear them while riding yet. Just wearing them around the house I feel they are really bulky and terribly uncomfortable. I also did a little test with the extension limiters on with these braces, I set one brace at the max. setting and then other at the min. to see if I could feel a difference between the two and I honestly cant. I am going to wear them a few times when I go riding to see if I can get used to them, if not I guess I will try to sell them. I also heard some terrible stories about people breaking femurs from wearing knee braces that has me concerned.

Thanks for the input guys

I know it does'nt necessarily mean so, but the Asterisks just 'look' more comfortable and less bulky. after two ACL reconstructions I need to cough up the cash for some braces. Wish I had done it sooner! Thanks again :thumbsup:

I wanted to know what about the cci braces are they expensive compared to the asterisks?

I have heard that the femur breaks are from shorter knee braces. It makes sense but I am not 100% sure its true. Im not sure what CCI braces are but CTI braces are top of the line and will cost you a lot more than asterisk.

I use my EVS-7 religiously. Had ACL replacement surgery 16 months ago, and I definitely don't want to go through that again!

Buy the EVS sleeves to wear under the brace ($15). Much more comfortable. The longer braces are actually held in place by your boots, so slipping should be a problem.

Anyone have any experience with EVS or Asterisks knee braces?

Which ones are most comfortable and slip the least?

Tahnks for the input. :thumbsup:

Since you're asking, here's my story. I snapped the ACL in my left knee when I was 23 practicing martial arts. I started riding off-road again in the fall of '03 at 42. I bought Asterisk braces for protecting my "bad" knee, and since they're sold in pairs I wore them both.

Here's the rub that Dr. Mark, and now my orthopedic surgeon, speak of. Braces can't protect you from all injuries. This disclaimer applies for all knee braces. I now know the truth in that statement. I was riding my WR and I ended up putting my right foot down in an off-camber rut and BAM! Snapped the ACL in my "good" knee. Now I've got 2 bad knees and I'm having ACL surgery on the right knee at the end of this month.

Even though I injured my knee while wearing braces, and even knowing that braces can't prevent all injuries, I will wear my Asterisks again when my surgeries, healing and rehabs are completed. There were times when I put my left foot down that I know for a fact that my knee would've given out and probably would have been totally destroyed if I weren't wearing a brace.

The Asterisks fit snugly, but are actually very comfortable. They take some getting used to, especially when you try to grip the tank while wearing them. Take it for what it's worth that you'll be better protected, but don't be fooled in thinking knee braces are going to save you every time you have a catastrophic crash or a really bad get off.

Ride safe.

Since you're asking, here's my story. I snapped the ACL in my left knee when I was 23 practicing martial arts. I started riding off-road again in the fall of '03 at 42. I bought Asterisk braces for protecting my "bad" knee, and since they're sold in pairs I wore them both.

Here's the rub that Dr. Mark, and now my orthopedic surgeon, speak of. Braces can't protect you from all injuries. This disclaimer applies for all knee braces. I now know the truth in that statement. I was riding my WR and I ended up putting my right foot down in an off-camber rut and BAM! Snapped the ACL in my "good" knee. Now I've got 2 bad knees and I'm having ACL surgery on the right knee at the end of this month.

Even though I injured my knee while wearing braces, and even knowing that braces can't prevent all injuries, I will wear my Asterisks again when my surgeries, healing and rehabs are completed. There were times when I put my left foot down that I know for a fact that my knee would've given out and probably would have been totally destroyed if I weren't wearing a brace.

The Asterisks fit snugly, but are actually very comfortable. They take some getting used to, especially when you try to grip the tank while wearing them. Take it for what it's worth that you'll be better protected, but don't be fooled in thinking knee braces are going to save you every time you have a catastrophic crash or a really bad get off.

Ride safe.

Dual Dog, thanks for the reply.

Being a sports trainer, I am very well aware NOTHING is going to safefuard against all injuries. As you and others on this board mentioned, I also understand the concern with femur fractures or other traumatic injuries possibly caused by the braces. After bi-lateral ACL reconstructions(not at the same time), now being 6 wks post-op on the rt knee, I am trying to weigh the pros and cons. The really s@#!ty thing is when my surgeon was assessing the current injury, he noticed I had a procedure on my left knee and started pushing and pulling on it and says, "Well that's not good!". Not exactly what you want to hear when he just tells you you've torn your ACL in the other knee.

As it turns out, I have very little stability in the left knee, which at first he suspected I had re-torn it at some point. He had some x-rays taken and after seeing them he is not sure if I actually had re-torn it or I have a non-functional graft...meaning it wasn't fixed correctly the first time. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I feel your pain. Thanks for the input

What could a X-ray tell you except that the bone plugs pulled out?

Norman,

My surgeon said the location of the screws were suspect. I suppose meaning that if the graft was not positioned correctly, it would be rendered non-functional. He is not sure if this is the case, but is a possibility due to what the x-rays showed and the fact that I cannot recall acutely injuring that knee in any way after the reconstruction, although that was 13 years ago.

Do you have any input on that? If so, what are your qualifications to do so?

It sounds like the graft has failed seconday to misplacement of the bone tunnels.

This needs to be revised.

Have it done by someone with experience in graft revsions.

The opposite patella tendon is the best source of graft material for a revison.

The hamstrings or allograft is not regularly sucessful in these cases and especially in a person who is not sane enough to realize that off road motorcyling is a really high demand and dangerous sport!

It sounds like the graft has failed seconday to misplacement of the bone tunnels.

This needs to be revised.

Have it done by someone with experience in graft revsions.

The opposite patella tendon is the best source of graft material for a revison.

The hamstrings or allograft is not regularly sucessful in these cases and especially in a person who is not sane enough to realize that off road motorcyling is a really high demand and dangerous sport!

DrMark,

Can you elaborate a little more on a "graft revision". What exactly is the process?

The problem I have with using the opposite patella tendon is, when I originally had the left(1st) knee done they used the patella tendon of the same knee, which has left the knee very tender to kneel on. My full-time job as a firefighter/medic requires alot of time crawling on my knees. Now, I am able to compensate by tri-podding on the right knee. If I have the procedure done using the right patella tendon, I am worried it would leave me unable to do even that. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am now 6 wks post-op on the right knee and used the hamstring graft due to the above reason.

Thanks for any additional input.

Trox, you have me totally confused. Which leg is unstable and was it previously operated on?

Are you also telling me that the opposite knee just had an ACL reconstruction?

Trox, you have me totally confused. Which leg is unstable and was it previously operated on?

Are you also telling me that the opposite knee just had an ACL reconstruction?

Doc, I know it sounds a bit confusing.

13 years ago, I had the left ACL reconstructed using the same side patella tendon, which has left that knee tender to kneel on.

I am now 6 wks. post-op on the right knee in which the hamstring graft was used because I was worried if the patella tendon was used it would leave that knee tender as well. A problem I am trying to avoid given my full time career as a firefighter/medic and in general would like to be able to kneel on at least one knee.

While my surgeon was assessing the current(right knee) injury, he noticed the scar from the procedure on the left knee and, I guess out of curiousity he assessed the knee for stability and found it very unstable...This lead to the x-rays that were taken in which he suspected the possible non-functional graft.

It is not a question of if, but when I will have it repaired...again.

My question is, why is using a hamstring or allo-graft not as effective as the patella tendon of the opposite knee in a graft revision?

Again, it would be preferred not to use the right patella tendon(still intact) for the left revision, but will use whichever procedure is the best.

Thnaks again

I had the EVS Web Knee braces...And they would slide all over the place on me...My bro has Asterisk and hates 'em...I have now got a prescription from my doctor to get CTI2 knee braces, and insurance is gonna cover them!!! :thumbsup:

i have the new thor force knee guards, they are like a knee guard/brace .... they arent bulky, they dont bother me when im riding, they fit right into the top of the boot, they protect your knees and they werent too expensive... good stuff.... check them out....

I only use patella tendon. I make the incision on the lateral aspect of the knee and only use the lateral third of the tendon, rather than the middle third as I believe it eliminates the kneeling pain issue.

At least 50% of my practice is ACL revisions, rather than primary cases. Most frequently I revise an allograft to an contralateral patella tendon autograft, next a hamstring to a contralateral patella autograft, and least likely a patella tendon autograft to a contralateral patella tendon autograft.

What I am trying to say, is in my opinion, the contralateral patella tendon procedure leads to the fewest number of reoperations either for graft failure or stiffness.

Furthermore, the contralateral patella cases can return to MX in three months.

You will probably have a hamstring procedure like you just had on the other side. You need to stay off the bike for one year after that last operation because of the slow speed of tendon to bone healing.