Smog delete and vent kit

I just purchased the Applied Racing Smog Delete Kit in preparation of the standard "free" mods that I will be doing to my 450X this week. However, when I went to the Applied site to order the kit, it recommended the "vent kit" as well. Of course, I purchased it , but I don't know what the heck it really does. Has anyone out there installed this kit? What were the results/ what does it really do. All I can tell is that it puts a filter in-line with the crankcase breather to prevent oil mist from entering in to the carb for burning? So, is the intent to prevent fouled plugs and prevent the motor from burning oil???? Does anyone know???? :thumbsup:

The kit re-routes the crankcase vent from the air box, to the little silver filter supplied with the kit. The benefit is that your crankcase will be able to vent properly. The stock set-up is severely restricted. See photo.

mo_crf012.jpg

This is a smog thing, intended to restrict the amount "oil vapor" exiting the air box into the atmosphere. In other words, EPA bull$hit. When your piston cycles up and down, it displaces the same 449cc's that is does above it, and the vent is to allow that pressure a place to go. Without it, one can easily understand the internal resistance that occurs inside the engine. This subtracts directly from power output, and has other negative effects. You get the picture.

If you really want to properly vent your crankcase, do could do this:

mo_crf001.jpg

The gray hose is the smog valve hose you are going to remove, and the filter is a UNI filter available at your LBS. Short, large diameter free breathing, and inexpensive. Be sure to plug the hole in the airbox whichever way you go. It is on the engine side of the air filter.

Don't let anyone try to give you a snow job about how the stock vent is some magic calibrated Honda vacuum thing. That is bull$hit. Physics aside, empirically the same mod is worth approx. 1/2 H.P. on a KLX300, so the 450 being 50% more displacement, it could be (porportionally) worth 3/4 H.P. on you Honda.

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

The benefit is that your crankcase will be able to vent properly.

Yeah, those engineers - you know, the ones who can be credited for Honda selling more motorcycles in the world than any other company - don't know how to properly vent a crankcase. However, some small little company out of Temecula, Ca has it all figured out.

the same mod is worth approx. 1/2 H.P. on a KLX300.

Well, that's why it's not a Honda...Duh! :thumbsup:

No one has ever claimed that the KLX300 is a performance machine. No one. Really. Not ever. Sure Kawi left a lot of power on the bench. So you're betting that Honda would leave that much horsepower because Kawi couldn't figure it out?

Instead of just guessing - and giving us a snow job - give us some useful facts.

Iromine,

Of course Applied would recommend their crankcase breather kit. They sell it, therefore they think you should buy it. It's been hashed to great extents on this board and others, and from what I can remember, there has been no benefit actually - not theoretically - found.

Honda does know how to vent their cases. Look again, it is an EPA mandated smog thing. The effect is the same no matter what bike it's on. A four stroke engine is a four stroke engine. Do your research before trashing someone's post.

It's a free country- you do what you want, and I'll do mine my way. Everyone else can decide for themselves. :thumbsup:

Use the Applied kit, leave it stock, or use your imagination, (by the way, I AM an engineer by profession). So I am not a dumbass. This forum is supposed to be for exchanging ideas, so why the personal attacks? :thumbsup:

Sorry, Iromine, for the above hassle. You may want to check out www.crfsonly.com. The maturity level there is generally a little higher.

Enjoy. :bonk:

No bash personal intended! I felt that you only gave him an opinion based on a guess. And I still do. If you're an engineer, I would have expected a little more factual relevance. They don't give advice based on hunches from unrelated products.

And as for crfsonly - yes, there's lots of good info there, too (I post there, but under a different name), but many answers are questionable just the same (despite the authors' high post count). So you almost have to already know the answer to see through the bs. Many newbies to both here and there accept the group majority opinion as fact, expanding on the mistruths, and while many of the folks at Honda are laughing at the common beliefs.

However, you are correct in that we may do as we please (for the most part, of course - no loud pipes, damn it!). I understand, not all of the modifications we do have have a purpose other than for looks or as conversation pieces.

I've read many of your posts, and you often offer good advice. However, I noticed you've been fighting this crankcase breather vent to death, all merely based on your experiences with an old Kawi (although a very nice bike in its day). I apologize if my posts offend you.

No bash personal intended! I felt that you only gave him an opinion based on a guess. And I still do. If you're an engineer, I would have expected a little more factual relevance. They don't give advice based on hunches from unrelated products.

And as for crfsonly - yes, there's lots of good info there, too (I post there, but under a different name), but many answers are questionable just the same (despite the authors' high post count). So you almost have to already know the answer to see through the bs. Many newbies to both here and there accept the group majority opinion as fact, expanding on the mistruths, and while many of the folks at Honda are laughing at the common beliefs.

However, you are correct in that we may do as we please (for the most part, of course - no loud pipes, damn it!). I understand, not all of the modifications we do have have a purpose other than for looks or as conversation pieces.

I've read many of your posts, and you often offer good advice. However, I noticed you've been fighting this crankcase breather vent to death, all merely based on your experiences with an old Kawi (although a very nice bike in its day). I apologize if my posts offend you.

No problem. It is amazing how much debate the crankcase breather issue raised. Like seven pages if I recall. I am going to let it die. I'm with you on loud pipes.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but "some little company in Temecula" purchased a CRF250 and 250X when they were first available. The drain tube would fill up with a mixture of fuel and oil every 2 tanks of gas. We are not required to control emissions like "those engineers - you know, the ones who can be credited for Honda selling more motorcycles in the world than any other company" Who USED to vent into atmosphere, by the way.

We simply found something that could be done better and did it. I'm sure Honda didn't do it for any other reason than they had too.

We never claimed any performance increase, that is just plain silly, all we claim is:

"With this trick billet aluminum filter system you can re-route the crankcase vent house on your CRF to eliminate oil mist and crankcase contaminants from entering directly into your carburetor."

http://appliedrace.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1447