Body Armor

Thougts on the jacket-type products...

Good, bad, waste of money? Does anyone use them?

I wear elbow pads, chest protector, kidney belt anyhow.

I usually ride in the SoCal desert and the Southern Sierra Nevada mountains as well as Big Bear, CA. and the parks in Northern CA.

Certain brand better? Worse?

Thanks,

LC-

Have always heard good things about the 661. IMO you need to wear whatever you can. I wore a Skeletools zip up body armor all last year. It works good and I have crash tested it a couple of times. I broke my collarbone on Sunday while wearing the Skeletools but it would not have mattered what I was wearing. It was just the way I landed. The impact came from the side. Last week I ordered the Tekrider Rally Sport. Looks like it will have great rib protection. All the body armor jacket style protectors are hot while you are not riding but it is still bearable. I won't be riding for awhile so I won't get a chance to try the Tekrider out but I think it will work great.

I have the latest RockGardn body armor and when I am riding I feel well protected. My only issue with it is that it is hard to take it off when you are hot, sweaty, and tired. I feel like I am in a straight jacket. In this regard, the standard chest protectors are better.

I ended up buying the Dianese body armor suit. I tried on the 661 and the Fox suits but didn't like the way they fit. The Dianese suit fit the best and it's made to be worn under street leathers. I did pay almost $100 more than the 661 and the Fox, but when it comes to protection money is no option. I seperated my right collar bone last summer at the track and was only wearing a T-shirt. Can you say "DUMBASS" I can and am proud of it. But anyway try them all on or what is available to you and see which one fits better. The biggest difference in the three is the way the arms fit. ?

I wear the 661. They're more comfortable but do get a bit warm. You can find them on eBay for 79.95...you just have to know where to look. Under search,type in "661 suit" and go to the bottum of the page. You'll find some at this price in the eBay stores.

I've used the Rock Gardn Flak Jacket for over a year. It's been crashed quite a few times and I have not yet had so much as a bruise where the armor covers. In hot weather, it is hot when you stop moving and there is no breeze, otherwise it is fine. I've used it in weather over 100 degrees with no problems at all. I will agree that it is hard to get off when it's all sweaty, but that means it would be even harder for it to move on your body when you crash!

Try it....you'll love it!!

Cheers,

Mac

How do you guys go about washing these things. It was hot up here ast year and I couldn't keep things smlling fresh. I wash everything after every ride but the old sweat smell comes back. It gets like ammonia. Maybe just marinate it ?

Out of the EVS and 661 wich is more breathable. Thanks.

I like the Troy Lee Designs Descender. Has good shoulder, back and elbow protection. I wish it had a bit more chest protection but I like it a lot. I have not been down with it on so I can not comet on how well it works but I can say in 90 deg weather it was not any hotter that a normal chest protector.

I ended up buying the Dianese body armor suit. I tried on the 661 and the Fox suits but didn't like the way they fit. The Dianese suit fit the best and it's made to be worn under street leathers. I did pay almost $100 more than the 661 and the Fox, but when it comes to protection money is no option. I seperated my right collar bone last summer at the track and was only wearing a T-shirt. Can you say "DUMBASS" I can and am proud of it. But anyway try them all on or what is available to you and see which one fits better. The biggest difference in the three is the way the arms fit. ?

Which Dianese did you get? I am looking into these and I have noticed that there are several different models.

The two I was wondering about were the Safety Jacket and the Next Jacket. My buddy has the Next for MTB and it is really nice and works well. The Safety Jacket looks really tough, just worried that it may be too hot...

How do you guys go about washing these things. It was hot up here ast year and I couldn't keep things smlling fresh. I wash everything after every ride but the old sweat smell comes back. It gets like ammonia. Maybe just marinate it ?

Yep....they can get a bit ripe after a few sweaty rides...

Hose it down real good, put some mild soap (I use Woolite because it seems to rinse out better) in a large deep-sink or the tub and submerge the armor in it. Leave it there for an hour or so, swirling it around periodically. Rinse extremely well....any soap left behind can irritate your skin. Hang it up and let it air dry. Some of the armor suits have pads that are thick enough that they'll hold some water. It will dry faster if you spin it around your head (wives appreciate it if you do this outside) and then squeeze the pads with a towel to get out most of the water.

Cheers,

Mac

The two I was wondering about were the Safety Jacket and the Next Jacket. My buddy has the Next for MTB and it is really nice and works well. The Safety Jacket looks really tough, just worried that it may be too hot...

I've been wearing a Safety Jacket for four years now (before that I wore a Fox Roost Deflector). I bought one direct from a Dainese Superstore while on business in Milan. I also wear a vented short sleeve jersey (heheh, it's actually an AC Milano soccer jersey; thanks to the AMA, it's illegal to wear short sleeve jerseys in Pro racing, and that pretty much killed any market for a good vented short sleeve racing jersey). Heat isn't a problem.

Chris.

I've been wearing a Safety Jacket for four years now (before that I wore a Fox Roost Deflector). I bought one direct from a Dainese Superstore while on business in Milan. I also wear a vented short sleeve jersey (heheh, it's actually an AC Milano soccer jersey; thanks to the AMA, it's illegal to wear short sleeve jerseys in Pro racing, and that pretty much killed any market for a good vented short sleeve racing jersey). Heat isn't a problem.

Chris.

Good to know, thanks.