Would a 450F be too much for me?

Im 15 (Going on 16 in a few months).

Ive been riding about a year on a friends Honda CRF230F...Ive been able to use the bikes full power and it doesnt seem like much that much power anymore, considering i thought id never leave 3rd gear when i first rode it ?

Now, im ready to buy a bike of my own....a local dealer has a 2003 YZF450F on sale in my price range...I sat on it and i could touch the ground...Im worried however would this bike be too much power for me...or if i took it easy could i handle it?

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I weigh 135-140.

I was thinking if i kept it in 1st and 2nd gear it wouldnt be that hard of transitition.

But then again ive never ridden it so i dont know for sure if I can handle what it has to offer.

I can touch my toes on the bike....is it possible to lower it down any so i can touch a little more comfortablly?

You have no idea what you're in for.

I would under no circumstances suggest the 450. It would be irresponsible.

If you've never experienced anything other than the very tame power of a Honda XR 230, then you maybe aren't ready even for the 250. Either have the ability to throw you over backward with even the slightest mistake on the throttle depending on the given traction.

Find someone with a 2 stroke 125 that will let you ride it.. make sure you have plenty of room, and with full gear on of course, learn what a power band feels like. And for Gods sake, sit up front on the seat! Then, maybe you can try a new(er) 250 F but just remember that the power now comes on much lower in the RPM's, and you had better still be on the front of the seat.

Good luck, and when you're really ready, I have an '01 426 for sale.

Tom

Venom, it was interesting to read your question and then see some of the answers. Based on what you wrote (and the simple fact that you wrote it), it seems to me that you have a very healthy understanding and respect for the power that this bike has. It seems like you've worked on your riding skills, and have improved your ability to the point where you can handle something more powerful. Yes, this bike is a huge step up in power. But you know that or you wouldn't have asked the question. Just because the power is there, you don't have to use it all. Go get the bike, then just spend time riding and getting used to it. If it scares you, you can always sell it - but I don't think that will happen. Just don't get cocky and hurt yourself - but I don't think you would do that. Have fun, just be careful. Your skills will continue to improve, just take your time and use restraint as you improve. I don't disagree with any of the other responses, this is just my 2 cents!!

a 450 is too large of a ride for about 90 percent of all riders.........

NO ONE CAN USE THE 450'S TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL

Suzuki, tames RC 450 ride for him

start with a 250F, you be better off...........

if you have to asked the ?????????????, most likely you already know the answer.......... ?

It isn't that you couldn't handle the 450, it's just that you'll probably have more fun on a 250. As mentioned already, there is no comparison between a CRF230F and a YZ250f. The YZ has over twice the power of the 230 and better suspension too.

I got a YZ450f after a 20 year break and never had any trouble at all controlling the power. In the woods it is the perfect bike, but recently I have started riding track and it is just too much bike for me there. I do ok with it, but I have to go very easy on it and even though I handle the power fine, I would have a lot more fun riding pinned on a YZ250f than I do on the 450. If I pin the 450 either the front tire comes up or the back breaks loose, then if I don't get it under control before the next obstacle I break loose on my ass.

The YZ450f is a great bike no doubt about it. But at your riding level I really think you'd have more fun on a YZ250f. Unless that is, you plan on woods riding only. Then you'll have plenty of time to get used to the power.

Best bet, try to ride a 450 where you ride before you buy one.

Thanks for all of your input.

Right now im looking at a used 03 TT-R250 and a used XR250...if the TTR gets sold before i can buy it, and the XR250 isnt in that good of condition, then Ill be testing out that YZF450 to see if i can handle it.

if you want it go for it, dont let anyone tell you its to much bike.....because truth is its to much bike for alot of riders. My first bike was an 88 YZ250, that was 4 years ago. after owning it a year i went to a YZ426, i sold it after a year went on a 2 year break, now im back again with an 05 YZ450F. im a beginner, but the bike has treated me well and im kicking ass more on this big dawg 450 than i was on the 426 and way more than i was on the 88 YZ. RESPECT the power, and youll be ok. ?

PS. its a freaking animal. I LOVE IT! ?

Well my friend whos been riding a long time keeps telling me go for it, so im seriously considering it now...

One question is...can i lower the suspension fairly easy?

Im still knida new motorcycle maintaince...but i have stripped a 4 stroke engine down to the block and rebuilt it by myself. Ive also worked on Jeep Cherokee's for a year...just small stuff though...general to basic matainence.

I don't know if you can lower it or not, but I just moved up from a yz250f to a yz450f, and the 450 is a beast... and I love it! It is a lot of power and I'll never come close to riding it to it's full potential, but If you get it, you have to respect it, it's all about throttle control ?

a 450 is too large of a ride for about 90 percent of all riders.........

NO ONE CAN USE THE 450'S TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL

Suzuki, tames RC 450 ride for him

start with a 250F, you be better off...........

if you have to asked the ?????????????, most likely you already know the answer.......... ?

What, are you nuts? RC's 450 is a rocket ship with knobbies! Mike Gosslar and the techs have made it much lighter and much faster? jeez...........

I have a 450f and I am 6-2 230lbs and it will pull up wheelies without trying on hardpack in 5th doing 55mph. I can admit that I am only using 75% of the bike because it scares the bejesus out of me sometimes. NO I AM NOT A GREENHORN. Young man trust me when I tell you a 450f of any brand will hurt you badly. they are not a forgiving bike and when things start to go wrong the time seems to speed up somehow, kinda funny how that works.

I started riding when I was about your age on a Suzuki PE 175, I had a blast on that bike. My brother thought I was to big for it so he got me a used 250 2 stroke. I could ride the bike with no problem, I just didn't have the same amount of fun on it. It wasn't in tell I was bigger and stronger before I really enjoyed riding the bike. Remember, it's about having fun on your bike, not fighting your bike.

What, are you nuts? RC's 450 is a rocket ship with knobbies! Mike Gosslar and the techs have made it much lighter and much faster? jeez...........

I have a PC factory supercross 99YZF400 (motor is stock)lol These 4t motors dont need any tunning other than smothing out and maby some port work.lol

i hear that the Yamaha foctory motors where stock. Dude get the 450 if its a good deal but if you can get a YZF250 youll have a lot more fun especally at your weight.lol Good luck!