18ft Fun Runner With an '03 4Runner (4.7L V8)?

So I've been researching this for a while but there's one thing I'm still not sure about and that's the tongue weight. I found an aftermarket Class III hitch for a 4runner that will hold 750lbs TW with a WD Hitch, but Carson lists the dry TW for the 18' er as 765lbs.

So if I pack most of my bikes (1, maybe 2 bikes and 1 quad plus gear) on or behind the axles you think I'll be able to lower the tongue weight enough, or would I be better off trying to find a 16' Funrunner lite?

What about the water tanks? Does anyone know if they're located more towards the front or centered under the axles, and if they add much to the overall TW when filled?

?

you are going to want a larger truck to pull that. The water tanks are in front of the axles. For sure you would be getting air bags for that truck.

I had a f150 with the 4.6 and regeared to 4.10s and it pulled ok. The problem is not the weight, but the wind resistance of the tall trailers. I now have a 5.7 dodge and it pulls without issue. The F150 did not like speeds above 60.

Again, not the weight, but the wind resistance that will just kill that motor. Maybe regear it and you would be ok.

buy a real truck!!! ?

I agree. My neighbor tried to haul his 21' Fun Runner with a Tacoma. We'll just say it was rather humorous. The guy looked like such a tard hauling that thing around. He finally bought a real truck. ?

I think you missed the part about it being a V8. It will pull it no problem. I thinbk these are rated for a class IV, which is around 7000 lbs plus about 700 in tounge weight. Some 4Runners had the air bag and you can increase/rasie the back. Otherwise, air bags would do it. And its not going to buckle if you exceed the rated tounge weight by a few pounds either. It will be already preqwired for the 7way RV plug with charge system and electric brakes. The V8 4Runner is "all wheel drive" and will aid in dragging it around.

I think you missed the part about it being a V8. It will pull it no problem.

yeah right, good luck and keep at or under 55. theres more to towing then motor.breaks,suspension. 4runner and tent trailer cool. 4runner and toy hauler ??

I think you missed the part about it being a V8. It will pull it no problem. I thinbk these are rated for a class IV, which is around 7000 lbs plus about 700 in tounge weight.

Some of the early new-style 4-runners were rated to 7k with the towing package, but that was quickly and quietly derated back to 5k, and other than perhaps the original owner's manual, it is impossible to get any information indicating that the rating could be higher than 5k.

My buddy went through it a few years ago... couldn't get any solid information through VIN checks, and all he could get out of the dealer was "Yes, you have the 7-pin connector which is the tow package and you are limited to 5k"

What's bigger Tacoma or Tundra?

Tundra, but still limited to about 6,500 and either 11k or 12k GCVWR.

I really wish that it were rated for 8k (and could safely handle it) because if that were the case I would still be driving one.

I agree. My neighbor tried to haul his 21' Fun Runner with a Tacoma. We'll just say it was rather humorous. The guy looked like such a tard hauling that thing around. He finally bought a real truck. ?

I'm glad to know I (actually my fiancee) doesn't own a "real truck", could you let the company we got the auto loan through know about this? Must mean that money we owe isn't "real" either. ?

The 4Runners (2003 year models and up w/the V8) are actually only rated for 200 lbs less than the Tundra, and about 2,000lbs more than the Tacoma.

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/04towingguide.pdf

Also, unless you get them upgraded, the Gross Weight for the FunRunners in the range I'm looking at is 7,000lbs. We will be hauling everything we currently pack into (and camp out of) a 5x10 enclosed, so I highly doubt we'll be getting anywhere near the limit weight wise, I figured wind resistance would be huge though.

Hey Toyota MDT tech, do you happen to know if the reciever hitch bolted to the rear cross-member is rated for the same TW? If I remember correctly the manual said 700lbs TW with WD hitch with the tow package. Not sure if mine is considered the "tow package" on an SR5 (It does have the 7way plug already, just no airbags). Plus if you figure ideal TW is supposed to be 10-15% of your trailer weight, how would you ever "correctly" tow more than 5,000 lbs?

Definately going to have to do a bit more homework, thanks for the responses.

I pull a Carson 16' Fun Runner with my 02 Tundra TRD 4x4 4.7L. WD hitch, sway control and airbags, it is about the largest I would feel comfortable with behind that truck. Not bad flat, but a little dicey in the hill's. The wind resistance referred to is true. Side gust's try to push me around, which is good for a cheek pinch when your'e not expecting it.

I am not talking about side winds. Mine with the wd hitch never sways or anything.

I am just talking about physically pulling it through the air. You might as well have airbrakes on. The 4.6 ford is a v8 also and it did not pull that trailer very well. A friend has pulled it with a expy and the 5.4 and it pulls it fine. Any 1/2 ton truck will need the WD hitch and then airbags to solve the squat problem with the tongue weight. A 3/4 ton truck would be a much better solution.

Probably the 2 things wrong with the 4 runner is that you are using a coil/link rear suspension and the vehicle is not very wide. Good old american fullsize truck and leaf springs would help towing with out issue.

Personally the 16 is a waste of money for what you get. Just not enough there. Very small inside for living and for hauling bikes. The 18 is the min I would buy, 20 is better.

Personally the 16 is a waste of money for what you get.

Appreciate the opinion, hopefully he'll take your advice as book. Since you're the resident TH knowledge base. ?

Personally (since the kids are grown and gone) I needed a TH to haul a couple of bike's and the basics for comfort while camping. Personally, I can't see spending a shitload of money on something that is used for a specific purpose. My 16 ft TH has a fridge/shower/bed's/awning/stove/sink/head/stereo system and an awning. All of the thing's that I felt I deemed necessary. If you don't plan on providing lodging for your riding buddys and all of their kid's, then buy what fit's your needs. If you don't want to buy a new truck to pull your new trailer-buy one that your existing tow vehicle will pull. It's your money. And I looked for used, since TH's are like bikes-there are some that take very good care of their toy's. And you can save a ton of cash buying used.

If you have a wazoo full of cash-score a diesel truck and a triple axle TH with all the bells and whistles. Whatever you buy-a TH doe's add to the experience. ?

Appreciate the opinion, hopefully he'll take your advice as book. Since you're the resident TH knowledge base. ?

Personally (since the kids are grown and gone) I needed a TH to haul a couple of bike's and the basics for comfort while camping. Personally, I can't see spending a shitload of money on something that is used for a specific purpose. My 16 ft TH has a fridge/shower/bed's/awning/stove/sink/head/stereo system and an awning. All of the thing's that I felt I deemed necessary. If you don't plan on providing lodging for your riding buddys and all of their kid's, then buy what fit's your needs. If you don't want to buy a new truck to pull your new trailer-buy one that your existing tow vehicle will pull. It's your money. And I looked for used, since TH's are like bikes-there are some that take very good care of their toy's. And you can save a ton of cash buying used.

If you have a wazoo full of cash-score a diesel truck and a triple axle TH with all the bells and whistles. Whatever you buy-a TH doe's add to the experience. :bonk:

Exactly, a toyhauler is within my budget, toyhauler and new tow vehicle, nope. I pretty much figured a 16' would be my limit but they seem a bit harder to find used, especially with any extra options. I assume it's because it is cheaper to buy the 18' with all the extras standard than to add all those options to the superlite 16'.

Maybe if I can get a 16' w/o the raised roof or if they make the rebel in a 16' version I could go with that. I'll just have to get in one and really see how much room there is to work with. For now it's just me, my girl our doberman and one more (doberman) on the way, so we've pretty much outgrown our little 5x10. Plus even the Rebel with no options still has more amenities than what we currently have (just won't be able to find one used any time soon).

One thing's for sure, the only thing worse than taking a leak in a sand storm is trying to take a dump in one. ?

Thanks for the input guys!

There is another option....

Check out some of Toyota MDT's links.... he's got a beautiful 8x16ft enclosed cargo trailer that he's done some living space conversions.

No shower, and you'd need a porta-pottie and a camp stove, but throw up some insulation and panelling and you have the a lightweight (and inexpensive) step between tenting it with a flatbed or 3-rail bike trailer and a full toy hauler.

There is another option....

Check out some of Toyota MDT's links.... he's got a beautiful 8x16ft enclosed cargo trailer that he's done some living space conversions.

No shower, and you'd need a porta-pottie and a camp stove, but throw up some insulation and panelling and you have the a lightweight (and inexpensive) step between tenting it with a flatbed or 3-rail bike trailer and a full toy hauler.

....yeah but if I was that handy with a set of tools I wouldn't have to own Toyotas now would I? ?

Seriously though, on the one hand I'd like to do a setup like MDT Tech's because I could have it exactly how I want it, also if anything breaks I'll know how to fix it.

The biggest problem for me would be spending all of my weekends working on it when I could be riding or surfing. Also I don't really have much of a garage or workspace area to fabricate a lot of those things, more or less just a car-port type awning that I park my current trailer under. ?